House Price Crash Forum

You Tube Drama..our Friends In The North Bbc Series From 90's

Economic Exile

HOLA441

I've been re-watching this bbc drama broadcast in the 90's. I'm enjoying it more than the first time I watched it.

Over 9 episodes it follows the fortunes of 4 friends from Newcastle from young adults to middle age against a backdrop of the politics and social conditions of the times.

Well worth watching if you're sick of a lot of the current drama on offer. I've watched up to episode 5 so far and apart from a handful of times when sound and speech is out of sync the quality is fine for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58jojJMClg&index=9&list=PLqWNCJXyZziFoA8vqYqeECTW5osjFaGt4

Anybody got any other you tube drama recommendations to help pass the long dark evenings?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Auf Wiedersehen Pet series 1

Sapphire & Steel

Strange (TV series)

Ripping Yarns

Children of the Stones

The Professionals

Brideshead Revisited (TV series)

Wow! Television as it should be! I had to buy Ripping Yarns recently, Some episodes date back to 1975.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Yes a really great series that I understand more than when I enjoyed it first time around.

Lots of hpc perspective re property, the ruining of the industrial base etc. The destruction of good quality homes replaced with terrible high rises.

Was based on a true story of course. The infamous Poulson affair, the bribery of politicans. Poulson built much of Newcastle, major bits of Leeds and other cities at the time, even Waterloo re-development and Croydon station. Universally crap. (The modern at the time 'international' swimming pool in Leeds could never be used for major events because they forgot to factor in the pool tiles!). Poulson had major links to Bovis - Bovis was set up by Keith Joseph's father (the intellectual architect and arch liberal behind 'Thatcherism'). I feel there is a story within the story in this whole affair which has yet to come to light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Poulson

I can't imagine what policy making the Chairman of a major housebuilder the Minister for Housing would recommend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Joseph

Interesting. I always thought that the OFITN drama series depicted what went on in politics, councils and police in a realistic way!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Haha. The Beiderbecke affair was also about corruption between northern councils and developers. (Helen of Tadcaster's Dad and his attempt to warp the planning and political processes).

In the second part, The Beiderbecke Tapes, a bunch of conspiracy loons deliberately get handed some government disinformation. Very prescient considering this was long before the internet.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Most of the classic 70s/80s TV dramas (Play For Today, Wednesday Play etc.) are now on YouTube, eg. search on [play for today] for:

The Black Stuff

The fishing Party

Comedians

Land Of Green Ginger

Our Day Out

Nuts In May

Abigail's Party

the Flipside of Dominic Hyde

etc.

Yes I've re-watched a few of those so far. Really good. Two I would add to your list are Hard Labour and The Spongers.

Ken Loach is releasing a film next year about a 50+ bloke who has worked all his life then he becomes ill and for the first time has to claim welfare. I'm currently enjoying a lot of older drama but will probably watch this one when it comes out.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/ken-loach-starts-i-daniel-blake-shoot/5096060.article

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Edge of Darkness, the UK tv series which preceded the US feature film

Watched that recently, pretty good but goes a bit mental in the end.

Harrys Game is also well worth a watch, pretty short, about 3 hours in total, but gripping.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4420

I've been filling in the time during a prolonged rainy spell in this region by watching all 4 Series of When the Boat Comes In on you tube. Broadcast in the 70's.

Really enjoyed it overall and found the social history aspect of it very interesting. The drama was first broadcast in 1975 and tells the story of a fictional character, Jack Ford played by James Bolam, when he returns to Tyneside after the first world war.

HOLA4421

Fiction, be it literary or television dramas, set at the time I always think are a much better way to get a good feel for a certain period of history.

You start to get a feel for just how much nonsense historians, and historical documentaries talk, when you get to an age where you think hang on a minute I lived through that decade and it was absolutely nothing like this bloke on the telly is describing.

HOLA4422

A fair chunk of Our Friends In The North was - like Billy Elliott - filmed in Easington Colliery, Co Durham.

I lived there at the time, and you can see my old house (now demolished) in many scenes, especially in the episode where Mary's son smashes up the copper's allotment.

The shop that Tosker bought was at the top of our street and I watched a lot of these scenes being filmed. Many of the actors were not native North-Easteners, and the accents varied in quality. Daniel Craig and Mark Strong both produced pretty good ones, but poor old Peter Vaughan (Harry Grout from "Porridge") couldn't quite get the hang of it. :)

Pretty much all of them were happy to chat with locals and sign autographs during breaks from filming, all that is apart from genuine North-Eastener Alun Armstrong, who sat in a car and totally ignored all approaches from members of the public.

Miserable bástard...

XYY

HOLA4423

I learned OK "passable Geordie" during my time up there due to no fault of my own. Maybe I could be an "actor" and pretend I've been beyond Cockfosters!

HOLA4424

I learned OK "passable Geordie" during my time up there due to no fault of my own. Maybe I could be an "actor" and pretend I've been beyond Cockfosters!

I used to live in cockfesters.....truly that is what the sign said slip road off the M25.......worked in boreham stiff.......lots of old filming done out and about around those parts. ;)

HOLA4425

Archived