House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

The Three Scousers

Remember them? Shell-suited and always squaring up to each other , and shouting "Calm down! Calm down!"?

But would any telly producer put that sketch in a comedy show now?

Or would there be a media storm about discrimination, regional demonisation etc?

At the time IIRC t was taking the mickey out of Brookside; Barry Grant and Terry Sullivan:

85363169_terry1_139529c.jpg

Who were portrayed as these lovable rogues but most viewers saw them as very annoying petty crims. Harry Enfield reflected the public view.

"Terry" in real life got five years for his involvement in a murder. Oh those laugh-a-minute scousers.

Remember them? Shell-suited and always squaring up to each other , and shouting "Calm down! Calm down!"?

But would any telly producer put that sketch in a comedy show now?

Or would there be a media storm about discrimination, regional demonisation etc?

TV is a brainwashing tool, that one linked into the big soap of the time (laughable now to think that Brookside was portrayed as "cutting edge" by the people who want you to watch a lot of TV) Things have moved on though, same shite, slightly more subtle presentation. Honestly don`t know how many people bother with the telly nowadays, back in the day it did seem part of the daily experience somehow.

There was a lady from Ofcom on the radio this week, apropos of I know not what, but an innocent question from the presenter - do you like television - elicited what was for me a jaw-dropping response.

She said she loves it and on Christmas Day it is on all day from cartoons for the kids first thing to soaps for the adults which they all looked forward to. Meals fitted around the TV schedule.

I genuinely didn't think that anybody who wasn't actually in a home, rather than at home, would have TV on all day and everybody sat watching it.

A line from one of the Scary Movie films where one character uses an analogy to describe fear: "You know. It's like when you see a car coming at you with an Asian at the wheel". I recall thinking "You can't say that. F***ing funny though"

Just a harmless piece of "blacking up". I'm sure we have all done it! :huh:

I'm assuming we're not likely to see any repeats of "It ain't half hot mum" this year either.

Nor anything with Alf Garnett in it.

Mind you I saw the box-set for sale in Sainsbury's yesterday.

IIRC Warren Mitchell came to dislike the character when he realised that not everyone got the irony and humour.

There was a lady from Ofcom on the radio this week, apropos of I know not what, but an innocent question from the presenter - do you like television - elicited what was for me a jaw-dropping response.

She said she loves it and on Christmas Day it is on all day from cartoons for the kids first thing to soaps for the adults which they all looked forward to. Meals fitted around the TV schedule.

I genuinely didn't think that anybody who wasn't actually in a home, rather than at home, would have TV on all day and everybody sat watching it.

This lady is probably lying, maybe Christmas day is the only day she has it on. I would bet most successful people and people in positions of power watch very little television, maybe major events, some markets, and themselves if they are on, but the daily pap consumption is strictly for the sheeple, stops them competing with the successful and those in power.