House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Wow, Petrol Less Than £1 Per Litre, In Supermarkets, B B C Delirious.

Aye, living abroad certainly delivers you a "Brucie Bonus" or two Señor Banner.

Meanwhile here in the increasingly insane UK, I witnessed people waiting in queues for over half-an-hour for petrol that was 3.2p per litre cheaper than the empty petrol-station over the road where I filled-up. I paid 102.9 per litre.

In the end, the cheaper ASDA garage had to put some of their staff on traffic-duty directing cars around the adjacent roundabout - otherwise downtown Peterlee was gridlocked..!

I can't be bothered to do the maths, but if you apply your hourly pay-rate to a 3p a litre saving plus the stop-start nature of poor fuel-economy that actually sitting in that queue costs you, then even on minimum-wage, unless you have a massive fuel tank, sitting in that queue does not save you money.

I filled-up and paid for it in around 4 minutes and it cost me around 32 quid. Waiting in a queue for half an hour would've cost me just over a quid less.

I could've earned at least 9 quid - and closer to 13 if I stayed back long enough to hit the overtime premium - by simply "queueing" at my desk for half an hour.

Under a quid a litre is the new Black Friday...

XYY

Only in Britain is this a bargain.

I paid €0.969 for diesel on monday, at the Eroski supermarket in Spain.

Today, in France, diesel is €1.029 in the Carrefour supermarket.

I thought you said Petrol?

The question with Fuel in this country is "why does it take so long for the price to change?". My buddies in the USA and Canada say their prices catch up with the open market price within a couple of weeks, why does it take us many, many months? The price of Oil has been under $100 for quite some time now, so why are we still paying similar prices to back then? I mean Oil is down 75% or so from where it was in early 2014 and yet our price at the pump for Petrol is only down from £1.35'ish to £1 now.

Well... the price of petrol is pretty stable tax wise.

57p a liter of duty. Leaves us 43p to play with. We know that 20% vat is added to the fuel and the duty.

So vat on duty brings that to 68.4

Leaving 31.4p for the fuel. But that includes 20%vat as well.

If we take off that vat rate as well we end up at 26p per liter for fuel and another 5p of vat.

Total tax on 1 quid of petrol is about 74p.

Does nobody else find this shocking?

Mr XYY, monkey hanger and beer drinker, has a DESK JOB!

I thought he was a champion professional naked clog fighter.

Well I didn't think that.

I assumed he mended the roads.

The roads that your trucks destroy? :huh:

B B C Delirious.

That's a pretty accurate description of their coverage.

Them having helped to fob people off with the ever increasing fuel price agenda for so many years.

I did, but diesel is more energetic and, in Europe, cheaper, which makes UK petrol even poorer value by comparison.

It is just that you mentioned Petrol, which at around 1.35 euros in France must be around the same price as the UK. 1.50 in Italy, 1.55 in Holland. I guess If you restrict Europe to France and Spain maybe your logic holds true but I believe there are over 30 countries in Europe.

It is just that you mentioned Petrol, which at around 1.35 euros in France must be around the same price as the UK. 1.50 in Italy, 1.55 in Holland. I guess If you restrict Europe to France and Spain maybe your logic holds true but I believe there are over 30 countries in Europe.

So there are... http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/

GB is pretty much the most expensive.

Edit: By the way, our local Leclerc is today selling 95UL @ €1.269 and diesel @ €0.999

Guest eight

Petrol is about 40p per litre.

Not bad for something that was running out forty years ago.

Does nobody else find this shocking?

Mr XYY, monkey hanger and beer drinker, has a DESK JOB!

Easy Francis, it's not as weird as it seems...

;)

XYY

Saudi Arabia. Under 11p per litre.

If only the UK was an oil-producing nation...

The petrol subsidy is one of the things that the Saudis are thinking of trimming back as part of their deficit reduction strategy, so this could well be going up in the near future.