House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

New Car. Mods Feel Free To Merge With My Other Thread In Anecdotals.

My new car arrived 30minutes ago and a few niggles.

I opted for some basic alloys as they didn't have run flat tyres on them. The car I got came we upgraded allows which have run flats, suppose I should be happy? Why are they so despised?

It's come with the model number on the boot and I asked for this to be deleted. It hasn't.

If course I signed for the car as I'm without one otherwise and have to do the school run.

Should I make a noise?

Thanks all.

Why do you care if the model number shows?

The straightforward answer is that run-flats can affect the ride of the car as they have stiffer sidewalls than normal and they are more expensive to replace than normal tyres. You probably won't have got a spare wheel either although there's no guarantee you woulld have got one anyway.

Presuambly BMW have worked on their suspension since run flats were slated so maybe they are more comfortable nowadays, is it comfortable enough for you? But run flats on bigger alloys will be more expensive to replace than smaller normal tyres. Is this running cost of concern to you?

The straightforward answer is that run-flats can affect the ride of the car as they have stiffer sidewalls than normal and they are more expensive to replace than normal tyres. You probably won't have got a spare wheel either although there's no guarantee you woulld have got one anyway.

Presuambly BMW have worked on their suspension since run flats were slated so maybe they are more comfortable nowadays, is it comfortable enough for you? But run flats on bigger alloys will be more expensive to replace than smaller normal tyres. Is this running cost of concern to you?

The running cost is not of concern. First drive and it's not a smooth soaking up the bumps as the merc but the seats are really comfy so that makes up for that.

No spare wheel as you say.

The running cost is not of concern. First drive and it's not a smooth soaking up the bumps as the merc but the seats are really comfy so that makes up for that.

No spare wheel as you say.

I might wait until you've done a few longer journeys on a variety of surfaces before judging the comfort but presumably at the moment its bearable.

This is PCP isn't it? I doubt the changes would make any significant difference to the returning car end game.

Aesthetics and not wanting to display the engine capacity.

Check the bmw forums but they're probably stuck on with sticky back foam trim tape.

Usual method to remove is warm it up very carefully (hair dryer / hot air gun type thing) and slide floss/fishing line behind them to ease them off. Standard stuff on every car like the manufacturers name or badge might be bolted on though. Don't think BMW numbers are.

Mercs are like riding on clouds compared to BMWs IME. In fact, I don't think BMWs are particularly comfortable generally. That said, I've found mine OK - I actually like the supportiveness of the seats - but it ain't no Merc.

I've never understood that badge removal thing. So what if people know what size engine you've got?

Check the bmw forums but they're probably stuck on with sticky back foam trim tape.

Usual method to remove is warm it up very carefully (hair dryer / hot air gun type thing) and slide floss/fishing line behind them to ease them off. Standard stuff on every car like the manufacturers name or badge might be bolted on though. Don't think BMW numbers are.

Would have thought any manufacturer that regularly is requested to have de-baged product will not have bolted on badges - at least model variant ones. Dealer should be able to oblige with removal, like you say stick on ones should be no problem for them.

BMW model badges are glued on and are farely easy to remove. All the "kids" remove them from their cars so people don't know they're lying when they say they're driving he 3 litre version :) As for run-flats, the tech has move on now, there was a time they were critisized but they're apparently pretty good now, provided your car is designed for them.

Aesthetics and not wanting to display the engine capacity.

Does it make you feel guilty?

Mine should say "9 volts" or something

Does it make you feel guilty?

? a little. I can't afford one of those electric hybrids that some people on here talk about with zero tailpipe emissions while keeping an aspirated drive.

2.0l is overindulgent and I'm trying very hard to be the grey man.

Mercs are like riding on clouds compared to BMWs IME. In fact, I don't think BMWs are particularly comfortable generally. That said, I've found mine OK - I actually like the supportiveness of the seats - but it ain't no Merc.

I concur and I also prefer the cockpit of this BMW compared to the C250 and while my old car was an auto and this has a six speed gearbox, compared to my wife's manual C220 it's an absolute dream.

a little. I can't afford one of those electric hybrids that some people on here talk about with zero tailpipe emissions while keeping an aspirated drive.

2.0l is overindulgent and I'm trying very hard to be the grey man.

One of my mates laughed at an old car I had. I just said 5.0 on it. No apology required. :huh:

I couldn't tolerate runflats. Everything about my current Mk3 Mondeo is superior to the Mk1 diesel it replaced, apart from the fuel consumption and the ride quality. The Mk1 on 195/55/15s was slow but ever so relaxing. The Mk3 on 205/50/17s is a proper driver's car, it grips and goes where you point it if the roads are dry, but you feel expansion joints and potholes. It wouldn't cost me much to score some 18" Zetec S alloys off ebay to make the car look proper pimp, but I'm not even remotely tempted.

I am always intrigued by badging on cars. It seems to follow fashion. Way back you used to see "automatic" on the back of some cars, like that's really interesting to the driver behind? :lol:

Way back you used to see "automatic" on the back of some cars, like that's really interesting to the driver behind? :lol:

It was a warning to you that the driver in the car in front of you can't drive, sort of like the 'L' badge. :)

Or these dread letters:

mgRg-XMSKXVRAQeoIfrKqCQ.jpg

I had a Volvo. It wasn't glamourous. I was only 25 ish then!