House Price Crash Forum

If Fructose Is Bad, What About Fruit?

The Eagle

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I'll give you diabetes - but the others are mostly a function of age? For most of human history, 40 would be considered old.

I'm not so sure about that. Past life expentancies are often below 40 but I think they generally include high levels of infant mortality. If you survived your childhood you'd have a reasonable chance of getting to perhaps 70.

HOLA444

No major negative affects? Have you seen how big people are out there? Rising dimentia , diabetes and cancer.

Some of which can be put down to living longer. As for the rest that's about excess, not the existence of them. Living off a diet of sticky toffee pudding and Coca-Cola won't do you any good at all. Having them every now and then won't do you any harm.

HOLA445

Not at all, dementia could be caused by anything from the nitrogen in the soil to the poor quality diet.

Getting degenerative diseases is not part of getting old.

Do people in remote tribes, who drink little, have a little meat, get lots of exercise and have fresh air have soring dementia and cancer rates?

The incidence of dementia increase sharply with age. The reason there is more of it now is almost certainly down to people living longer, instead of dying of things that would have finished them off only a few decades ago.

I would suspect that life expectancy in most remote tribes who do not have hospitals and a mass of drugs to rely on, is not particularly high, and that dementia rates are correspondingly low.

HOLA446

No major negative affects? Have you seen how big people are out there? Rising dimentia , diabetes and cancer.

You are assuming a very simple causation, when in fact there could be any number of contributing elements. Wild animals get cancer at roughly similar rates to humans, and I don't think that's down to all the coke they're drinking.

Demographics, pollution, exercise, cosseted living environment, antibiotics, travel, sanitation. All these things in addition to diet could be contributing to current trends for obesity and degenerative illness.

I avoid grains, I just believe some of the negative stuff about them.

I do not worry about fruit. I've eaten two pomegranates for breakfast then a kiwi and and banana with buckwheat. Modern fruit probabably isn't perfect, but its way down on the list of bad things imo.

I'm playing devils advocate a little, as I do generally believe that eating food that is as close to wild plants and animals as practical is as good starting point as any for a healthy diet. And that a healthy diet is a decent pre-cursor for a healthy life. However questing after a perfect diet, rather than simply a sufficiently varied diet may be a fools errand.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Another good population in the book was examining the habits of those who live just either side of Hadrian's Wall. :rolleyes:

I don't believe that giants and ghouls and white walkers are lurking beyond the Wall. I believe that the only difference between us and the wildlings is that when that Wall went up, our ancestors happened to live on the right side of it.

So you're saying that Tyrion was wrong?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

that a large reason why I think le might decline with the boomers, all those years of excess never knowing lean times and waddling around m&s buying pretty junk loaded with sugar.

From what I read statistically that doesn't seem to be happening, life expectancy is increasing. Anecdotally those I know who are 10 - 20 years older (that is in their 70s and 80s) than me seem more healthy than those in their 60s and 70s I knew when I was a child. Relatives and neighbours of those ages when I was under 10 always seemed ill or incapacitated in some way. Yes I know some of it will be down to different perceptions of age, isn't it a common refrain that the demographic trends show an increasing number of centenarians. That can't be down to statistics being skewed by lower child mortality.

Life span is controlled by genetics, environment and life style. Our genes are pure lottery, life style is a choice, and it appears that many are making bad choices as far as health is concerned, environmental problems seem to have improved. We don't have the smogs that were common and frequent in the UK, lead emissions from petrol engines no longer pollute the air. Medical science has improved our life spans dramatically.

HOLA4412

We don't get TB or Polio and fewer of us smoke. Otherwise the NHS just seems to give us a longer period of ill health before we die.

Didn't we have longer lifespans when we were hunter-gatherers then a huge drop in life expectancy when we started farming? I'm sure I read it spmewhee.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Life span is controlled by genetics, environment and life style. Our genes are pure lottery, life style is a choice, and it appears that many are making bad choices as far as health is concerned, environmental problems seem to have improved. We don't have the smogs that were common and frequent in the UK, lead emissions from petrol engines no longer pollute the air. Medical science has improved our life spans dramatically.

Those environmental problems affected cities but probably didn't do much everywhere else, any comparison there?

Archived