House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

Have Started Doing Yoga...

Wife dragged me along a couple of months back as I thought it's for bendy weirdos and women lol. Anyway, geez it is tough. I did weights and cardio before and thought I was fit, but NO I WASN'T! After just 2 months the change in me has been very positive. Far more strength and stamina, mentally and physically. I feel that a huge number of knots in my body are starting to loosen up. I've been doing a lot of what is known as Hot Yoga Flow or Bikram Yoga. Really recommend it if you would like to find some peace and strength in your life!

I find it very difficult to do exercise of any form just for the sake of exercise. Never been a gym member. I cycle to work, do the gardening, and go for walks. Am I missing out on something?

Yoga is great. The hip openers are brilliant. My yoga teacher reckoned if everyone did a bit every day - hip replacements would almost cease to exist.

Having felt like I was dying doing my first few half pigeons - to soon really enjoying it - leads me to agree.

Yoga is great. The hip openers are brilliant. My yoga teacher reckoned if everyone did a bit every day - hip replacements would almost cease to exist.

Having felt like I was dying doing my first few half pigeons - to soon really enjoying it - leads me to agree.

I think a lot of hip replacements are required due to damage from autoimmune diseases like arthritis, nothing to do with exercise or lack of it.

If I intended to do yoga after a hip replacement, I'd ask for hinges to be fitted.

I went to an Ashtanga yoga class for a few weeks last year. I had to stop going because of the frequent 'parps' being emitted from the ladies.

Put me right off my downward dog.

I find it very difficult to do exercise of any form just for the sake of exercise. Never been a gym member. I cycle to work, do the gardening, and go for walks. Am I missing out on something?

Yes, blokes that do it are just trying to get supple enough to suck themselves off.

I think a lot of hip replacements are required due to damage from autoimmune diseases like arthritis, nothing to do with exercise or lack of it.

If I intended to do yoga after a hip replacement, I'd ask for hinges to be fitted.

Having tight hip joints will always make any of these things worse. Just basic logic.

Yes it may not 'cause' it but it can definitely hasten its damage and speed.

Another huge benefit that I found was vastly improved circulation, particularly to my feet. I do think that poor circulation, flexibility, strength & conditioning in the over 40s leads to conditions like arthritis, diabetes and the like.? Not to mention the calming and stress-relieving effects!

I did some home made yoga (from youtube etc) for my back. I will definitely try and do it more/properly when I get my life sorted out.

Just doing the thing where you keep your shoulders on the floor and raise your body (so it's very straight, bent knees. feet flat on the floor) was a revelvatory experience. it tookme about 20 seconds to work out which muscles I had to contract, to raise up my body.

My posture is much improved, and bad back is history.

I did some home made yoga (from youtube etc) for my back. I will definitely try and do it more/properly when I get my life sorted out.

Just doing the thing where you keep your shoulders on the floor and raise your body (so it's very straight, bent knees. feet flat on the floor) was a revelvatory experience. it tookme about 20 seconds to work out which muscles I had to contract, to raise up my body.

My posture is much improved, and bad back is history.

Do the same thing - and take some really big breaths. Then nice and slowly - lower your back to the floor - whilst exhaling - very slowly. Imagine yourself letting each vertebrae land on the ground 1 by 1 .

Do it a few times.

Before you do this - lie flat on your back and move your hand under your lower back - feel the gap. Do the same after. You will be impressed.

Should add - lower from the shoulder down - you prob worked that out but its important.

Your hands should also be palm flat on the floor - by your sides pointing forward.

As a tall thin computer programmer, my genetics and occupation mean my posture is predisposed to go to shit - that slightly defeated, hunched over look.

So I was planning on adding a quick yoga/stretching session every morning. Even just 10 or 15 mins worth. Will do my interweb research on the matter this weekend.