House Price Crash Forum

Global Regulators Join Crackdown On Buy-To-Let

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/12043703/Global-regulators-join-crackdown-on-buy-to-let.html

Buy-to-let loans are set to get more expensive under global plans to crack down on the sector, amid fears of an unsustainable boom in the market.

Global officials at the Basel Committee, which sets financial standards for the whole world, want banks to hold twice as much capital against mortgages when the repayments are dependent on income from tenants, joining the Bank of England and the Treasury in warning of growing risks in the sector.

That is because such loans will only be repaid when the property is occupied and the landlord may struggle if tenants cannot be found.

It comes after Chancellor George Osborne announced another new tax on landlords, increasing stamp duty on the purchase of second homes and investment properties.

It's like BTL have suddenly become public enemy number 1. Even the big bankers don't want them on their books. But I'm sure BTL landlords have a job to cover the loans....

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/12043703/Global-regulators-join-crackdown-on-buy-to-let.html

It's like BTL have suddenly become public enemy number 1. Even the big bankers don't want them on their books. But I'm sure BTL landlords have a job to cover the loans....

I'm just waiting for the DM to pick-up this story. Mind you I suspect it'll be the usual "foreign scum tell Brits they can't have BTL" type headline.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

so if a bank net lending was 80% buy2let then the capital requirement would be around a ratio of 15-1. I have never seen a bank keep such a ratio in my life time and how are they gona raise that capital without interest rates going through the roof?

They are not. There's a chunk few percetage points that are going to be put onto all BTL loans.

The changes have been in the pipeline for a good few year.

Its a relative clean tidy up, I mena, FFS, what loon could classify BTL and OO as residential lending.

But still the banks have piled into BTL lending. When I say piled, I just mean carried on with it.

Just greed and stupidity bt the banks.

Again, a couple are going to be thrown under the bus with these changes.

HOLA446

I'll believe it when I see it. Most people I know into BTl just say they will fix the mortgage again when it runs out, would love to see them not be able to switch mortgages and have their interest rate doubled.

I reckon this whole Btl thing is a MASSIVE ticking time bomb.....

The greed of the banks and the idiot btl brigade is simply staggering --- Rents and prices are just SO ludicrous --- it's incredible how things were allowed to get to this point......

THERE IS ONE GOLDEN RULE -- THE MEASURE OF REALITY -- 3 X INCOME. 3X INCOME. 3 X INCOME. 3 x INCOME.

What is it now??!?!!?? :huh:

14 x income??!?!?!? :wacko::wacko:

F***ING INSANE. :blink: :unsure:

HOLA447
HOLA448

But, but, but,

Ros said that the Telegraph was running a campaign to get rid of the BTL tax.

That nice Mr Dyson is in charge.

They appear to be distinctly nonplussed. As far as I can tell the full extent of the coverage of both this article and the underlying consultation paper on Property118 at present is:

HOLA449

They appear to be distinctly nonplussed. As far as I can tell the full extent of the coverage of both this article and the underlying consultation paper on Property118 at present is:

Ros is examining her Sunday Times Atlas to find our where Basel is.

She will then write a long letter to the BIS warning them of the UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.

HOLA4410

Ros is examining her Sunday Times Atlas to find our where Basel is.

She will then write a long letter to the BIS warning them of the UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES.

Well they have asked for comments! Maybe if this were more widely publicised and understood in BTL circles the Basel Committee would receive a few submissions that would have the unintended consequence of encouraging them to whack BTL risk weights up further still. ;)