House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Should Immigration Be Severely Restricted

No, Ukraine is coming soon.

I doubt it. Lots of Ukrainians fled brutality and civil war, but they're in Russia where they at least speak the language. Why would they want to come to a country that was party to ousting an elected president (twice over) and supporting a replacement Vichy regime that sent tanks against them?

Well there are plenty of people who want all immigration STOPPED.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107516DM

As he pressure on the political classes for restriction has little effect I can understand why demanding a complete closure of migration might have an effect.

The thing I notice is that the current wave of migrates have ignored many countries ripe for their economic benefit, as often touted by the left, and headed for those states with the most generous benefits. If it were true that where there are high levels of immigration they bring huge increases in GDP and wealth why wouldn't the EU have insisted that they go to the likes of Greece?

Rather than just think about numbers why not about quality?

I know immigrants who make amazing contributions to the UK. I also know some who just want to be pro/semi pro single parents (although to be fair to them we do make it a very attractive career) and get amazing sums in benefits and benefits in kind.

Then of course there are the scum who are criminals but we let stay here.

When your running a deficit then every additional person is a net drain on the economy unless they are making a spectacular contribution (which I'm assuming most don't).

I think the problem there is the muppets running up debts on our behalf - not immigration.

I doubt it. Lots of Ukrainians fled brutality and civil war, but they're in Russia where they at least speak the language. Why would they want to come to a country that was party to ousting an elected president (twice over) and supporting a replacement Vichy regime that sent tanks against them?

Lies and lies, Putin's Fascist ... :(

It's already severly restricted.

If you did a survey of the 3rd world, I'd expect 70% or more would jump at the chance to move to the UK.

Today, about 0.01% actually make it every year (maybe less, I haven't done the exact calc).

It's already severly restricted.

If you did a survey of the 3rd world, I'd expect 70% or more would jump at the chance to move to the UK.

Today, about 0.01% actually make it every year (maybe less, I haven't done the exact calc).

Interestingly Chinese average wage in developed parts is higher now than in Eastern Europe. And Chinese government is pushing now strongly for industrial robots ...

When your running a deficit then every additional person is a net drain on the economy unless they are making a spectacular contribution (which I'm assuming most don't).

I think they are over a lifetime. Current calculation puts the smash and grab on the Exchequer from each departing soul at £250,000. I guess there might be some slight Exchequer gain even from the most lowly paid migrant initially. but these small gainns don't really amount to a hill of beans when set aside the £100,000s each migrant will eventually cost in retirement from health, state pension, housing benefit and disability payments.

A migrant worker is like selling a £100,000 bond to reduce the structural deficit. when he retires he requires half a million in interest.

I think they are over a lifetime. Current calculation puts the smash and grab on the Exchequer from each departing soul at £250,000. I guess there might be some slight Exchequer gain even from the most lowly paid migrant initially. but these small gainns don't really amount to a hill of beans when set aside the £100,000s each migrant will eventually cost in retirement from health, state pension, housing benefit and disability payments.

A migrant worker is like selling a £100,000 bond to reduce the structural deficit. when he retires he requires half a million in interest.

It is worse than that, there is no guarantee that people will work.

Of course immigration should be severely restricted. It's utter madness that it's causing significant population growth in a country that would be much more pleasant to live in with far fewer people, and which would probably be blessed with a gradually falling population if it wasn't for immigration.

There's a case for a few numerically insignificant exceptions, but since the population issue is far and away the biggest, worst disaster we've got and what's needed to accommodate it adequately should turn the stomach of anyone with a functioning brain it needs stopping right now. It's astounding that anyone even feels the need to ask the question, it's such a no-brainer.

It is a no brainer, unfortunately our politicians show want of brain cells.

Also, discussion of the subject is subject to censorship.