House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Just How Incomptetent Are Microsoft?

I changed to Windows 10 from 8.

'All your files will be just where you left them' they said.

They were, but movie clips taken with my camera that played well on 7 and 8 would not play.

Nor could I find a favourites bar.

You might have to reinstall your camera software on the PC to get the codec to play the videos. Or have a search online - camera name, Windows 10, play videos etc.

The default browser is called "Edge" and I actually disabled it and went back to IE11. However I think it can show the Favourites bar, it's an option in the menu which you get to by clicking that cog shaped thing up at the top right.

I just installed this latest Win 10 update 36 hours ago - supposedly the first version of this reactivated all the spyware.

So I installed it, rebooted and it informed me that it had removed spybot and some Dell utilities because it decided that they did not work with Windows 10. Didn't ask me - just did it, even though they worked fine.

It also reactivated all the Microsoft Win 10 spyware settings.

It also disabled me being able to login to Skype with my hotmail account - only a Skype account. So I had to uninstall Skype, reboot and then reinstall it... which I am currently doing.

What a piece of Sh*t Windows 10 is.

It is kind of odd how manufacturers manage to pack in countless pointless gimmicks while ignoring things that would actually save time, no just software either.

Case in point, the electric handbrakes on cars nowadays. Doesnt save any time or effort (unless you literally have the strength of a mouse) whilst still having windscreens that take an age to clear condensation or frost. Another one is the electric drivers side mirror adjust. The knob is exactly where the manual one was, so its no more convenient, and is just another electric thing to go wrong.

Our office (50 users) had an outlook 10 windows update on Tuesday night that put outlook into safe mode. Took MS 12 hours to remove this faulty patch.

I'm not buying a new Windows! Actually I'll probably not buy a new PC, since tablets do all I want now for much cheaper. -_- Old PCs can be kepy going with Linux or similar.

The point is, I am not a computer geek.

I am like a keyboard player who is a dab hand at playing but has no actual idea of what is inside the keyboard.

Microsoft have utterly and dismally failed me.

Just how incompetent are they?

One problem is Microsoft are trying to please everyone who own tablets, netbooks, phones, and pcs...and end up pleasing no one, because of too many conflicts and mis-matches..I hated edge and uninstalled it. Some of the windows apps are virtually impossible to uninstall in the generic way too. They force you to keep them and make attempts at forcing you to use only their apps and programmes.

I got rid of edge and use firefox. Most of the initial teething problems with Ten have now been sorted, apart from finding a good e mail programme that I am happy with and works every time.

I loved outlook express but can no longer use it on Ten.

Try sending video clips attched to an e mail generated with Windows Live mail and you will probably get a message saying "cannot send, not enough memory".

I placed an icon on my desk top for the Control panel because it frustrated me just looking for it in the menus.

It is kind of odd how manufacturers manage to pack in countless pointless gimmicks while ignoring things that would actually save time, no just software either.

Case in point, the electric handbrakes on cars nowadays. Doesnt save any time or effort (unless you literally have the strength of a mouse) whilst still having windscreens that take an age to clear condensation or frost. Another one is the electric drivers side mirror adjust. The knob is exactly where the manual one was, so its no more convenient, and is just another electric thing to go wrong.

Oh tell me about it. So much technology nowdays just seems to be an excuse in finding out ways to do something simple in a far more complicated way for the sake of it. Another car one is automatic headlights - because flicking a switch once per journey at most was so difficult that it clearly needed automating.

When it comes to Windows there haven't been any user interface improvements (but a lot that have got worse) since XP, but they still change things for the sake of it otherwise people won't buy it. There have been less visibile improvements - new / better hardware support, stability, security etc., but presumably those don't sell anything unlike stupid gimmicks. It's particularly depressing when people lap them up just because they're new (which is why we're infested with so much crap these days, which some idiot things is great).

MS is a company that needs overhauling in how it works, the left has no idea what the right is doing.

It's gone like British Leyland. Inventing square steering wheels for Allegros. And putting square headlights on a Marina, and suggesting it's the "new" Ital. :blink: Lost the plot!

Part is arrognace, part is legacy overwhelming.

MS have always been d1cks in most of the time Ive worked with them - 1989ish eek!

They played nice in 1995ish when they were pushing NT.

I happily worked with them in 2000 with WS2000.

I am now at a point where they are breaking everything, everywhere.

I spent more time sorting out MS fckups than I do in my work.

That is bad.

I have a feeling they are striggling to get and keep developers.

For the first time in 20 years I no longer know anyone in Redmond.

I changed to Windows 10 from 8.

'All your files will be just where you left them' they said.

They were, but movie clips taken with my camera that played well on 7 and 8 would not play.

Nor could I find a favourites bar.

What else to expect?

That kind of problem - even on supposedly the same DOS or Windows version - is what drove me to making a conscious effort to avoid Microsoft. Back in about 1990.

So I installed it, rebooted and it informed me that it had removed spybot and some Dell utilities because it decided that they did not work with Windows 10. Didn't ask me - just did it, even though they worked fine.

Microsoft is trying to reclaim control from the OEMs and what they see as ineffective bloatware so that they can roll out updates more easily in the future. Personally I haven't had any real problems with Windows 10.

The secret they don't want you to know is that Edge and Internet Explorer are basically the same thing, all they have done with Edge is strip out all the proprietary legacy cruft. A move that is long overdue.

I will continue to keep closing the window.......can't see one benefit it can offer me....better the devil you know. ;)

Probably best.

I upgraded one PC to 10 and it is slightly more painful than 8. I only need one to be 10 (software testing), so I'll not bother with the others.

I guess this is mainly because I don't use Windows enough and I'm not keeping up with the innovations in the interface... But that is the thing - they are arrogant enough to say 'you must keep up or else - we're not giving you an option to stick with what you already know' - I know they reintroduced the desktop to 8, but the arrogance in removing it in the first place was massive.

Funny thing is, MS only make 10% turnover from Windows - 2/3rds+ from Office, Server and software tools. Why do they innovate the Windows interface at all? Why not just leave it at 7 + security updates?

Probably best.

I upgraded one PC to 10 and it is slightly more painful than 8. I only need one to be 10 (software testing), so I'll not bother with the others.

I guess this is mainly because I don't use Windows enough and I'm not keeping up with the innovations in the interface... But that is the thing - they are arrogant enough to say 'you must keep up or else - we're not giving you an option to stick with what you already know' - I know they reintroduced the desktop to 8, but the arrogance in removing it in the first place was massive.

Have no experience of 8....but the feedback had from others was not particularly favourable......

Well they lost me.

If the upgrade had been truly seamless, I would have not been bothered.

As it is, I have uninstalled 10.

I mean, I thought that these people knew all about computers, how wrong could I be?

(hint, they cannot even spell computor correctly, as for programme!!!)

I don't know if still the case, but for some reason windows media player is/was not included as part of the system (maybe legal?) Apparentlyit downloads at the next update, or you cansearch it and download it expressly.

For me, the removalof the charms bar and the absence of the metro interface make W10 worthwhile.

I do seem to be suffering someglitch myself occasionaly.Ithink while windows updarte is downloading,I sometimes lose my wifi connection, and cant power down.

For many years I was very happy with the performance of xp, went for years without any crashes, and thought all those people criticising MS had not used it recently, but it is amazing how they seem to go backwards.

For many years I was very happy with the performance of xp, went for years without any crashes, and thought all those people criticising MS had not used it recently, but it is amazing how they seem to go backwards.

Another factor is that with many different companies making Windows PCs there is pressure to be the first to market with new hardware which may not be fully tested. It seems there are a few issues which are Intel's fault with the new series of processors. HP, Dell etc have all release machines but Apple won't until next year which gives them more time to iron out the issues. If someone else were able to sell a Mac compatible machine with more bleeding edge hardware in it then there would be more of the same pressure on them to rush.

What I find infuriating is their utter lack of professionalism.

My daughter has just had an extension built on her house.

One firm supplied Architect, planning law consultant, builders, electricians, roofer, plumber, skip people for the rubble etc.

She didn't need to know anything.

But Microshit, do not even supply a handbook, cannot get their act together, and remain completely un-contactable.

Now, an on the ball UK government could swiftly deal with this.

Perhaps Trading Standards should be involved.

What I find infuriating is their utter lack of professionalism.

My daughter has just had an extension built on her house.

One firm supplied Architect, planning law consultant, builders, electricians, roofer, plumber, skip people for the rubble etc.

She didn't need to know anything.

But Microshit, do not even supply a handbook, cannot get their act together, and remain completely un-contactable.

Now, an on the ball UK government could swiftly deal with this.

Perhaps Trading Standards should be involved.

You mean her extension didn't have any windows?