House Price Crash Forum

Flooded Again - Time To Build Thousands Of Floating Houses

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2015/dec/28/uk-floods-thousands-evacuated-after-unprecedented-crisis

UK floods: people told to waterproof their homes because of increase in 'unknown extremes'
  • David Cameron to visit stricken areas across north of England
  • ‘Complete rethink’ of UK’s flood preparations needed
  • Failed defences cast doubt on Britain’s readiness for new weather era
  • Extra 1,000 soldiers on standby with 27 flood warnings in force

Won't water proofing increase damp inside the home? Outbreaks of mould everywhere?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Watching the news it is good to see all the communities pulling together. I assume they are mainly OOs. I guess a street full of renters would just pack there own stuff and decamp to a hotel leaving the property to fend for itself. Guessing that a lot of affected property must be recent builds since they are more likely to be on flood plain and therefore also more likely to be BTL. Must be a bit of a headache if you are a LL and suddenly have 10 flooded properties and no chance of any rental income for a few months.

Does anyone close to the area know if high density BTL developments have been affected?

HOLA448

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35188146

UK floods: 'Complete rethink' needed on flood defences - EA

Asked if the UK needed a new response to flooding, he said: "I think we will need to have that complete rethink and I think we will need to move from not just providing better defences - and we've got a £2.3bn programme to do that over the next six years - but also looking at increasing resilience."

This would mean "when properties do flood, that they have solid floors, waterproof plaster, more electrics up the wall - so that people can get into their houses and businesses more quickly".
The UK needed to "continue to improve our flood warning systems, so in the event of defences overtopping people have time to take action and we can save lives", Mr Rooke added.

HOLA449

The size of investment needed to make any meaningful difference is huge, and we just do not have the engineering skill base to complete the work. Cheaper to finance a flood compensation scheme via a land value tax on all homeowners.

Even cheaper to not pay compensation at all. I tell you what, I've made a few bad investment decisions over the years, any chance of a compensation scheme to refund my losses?

People only buy these flood prone houses on the basis that their losses will be made whole if TSHTF. If we stop forcing insurance companies to provide cover for flood prone property it will become unmortgageable and drastically drop in price.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

On a positive note - renting is not such a bad deal compared to buying when things get flooded.

Just what are landlord's obligations if the accommodation is flooded. Alternative accommodation to provide? No rent to pay for the uninhabitable period? No point reading tenancy agreement - probably states whatever happens, it's tenants' fault and they have to give their first-born to landlord to compensate.

HOLA4412

On a positive note - renting is not such a bad deal compared to buying when things get flooded.

Just what are landlord's obligations if the accommodation is flooded. Alternative accommodation to provide? No rent to pay for the uninhabitable period? No point reading tenancy agreement - probably states whatever happens, it's tenants' fault and they have to give their first-born to landlord to compensate.

Whatever short term losses and inconvenience most UK tenants suffer from flooding will pale into insignificance to the hit a landlord is going to take.

HOLA4413

Anyone who didn't have house insurance should get nothing; apart from basic charity (food, drink, a bed). No compensation.

They made their choice to not get insurance and now they should suffer the consequences.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4414

Anyone who didn't have house insurance should get nothing; apart from basic charity (food, drink, a bed). No compensation.

They made their choice to not get insurance and now they should suffer the consequences.

They may have insurance, but it is the excess that counts....far to high to make a claim. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The big Pub building built on a bridge over a river in Mythlemroyd that collapsed was owned by a "London Based Property Developer"

He didn't have flood insurance and reckons he's lost £2 million.

He had just finished a £70,000 refurbishment on the property.

A flipper?

Flippers in there now ..

Flipper_DVD_3799.jpg

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The big Pub building built on a bridge over a river in Mythlemroyd that collapsed was owned by a "London Based Property Developer"

He didn't have flood insurance and reckons he's lost £2 million.

He had just finished a £70,000 refurbishment on the property.

A flipper?

Got a link? The only pub collapse I can find is Manchester.

Mytholmroyd is just down the road so curious :)

HOLA4419

Got a link? The only pub collapse I can find is Manchester.

Mytholmroyd is just down the road so curious :)

Sorry it was at Sumerseat Bury not Mytholmroyd

must have read it on the Mytholmroyd article

Link:

http://uk.jakophite.com/what-a-change-a-day-makes-outrage-in-the-metropolis-which-was-and-39-abandoned-to-floodingand-39-and-advised-it-was-too-small-to-have-defences-News@5096.html#sthash.evfHvQ3J.dpbs

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Even cheaper to not pay compensation at all. I tell you what, I've made a few bad investment decisions over the years, any chance of a compensation scheme to refund my losses?

People only buy these flood prone houses on the basis that their losses will be made whole if TSHTF. If we stop forcing insurance companies to provide cover for flood prone property it will become unmortgageable and drastically drop in price.

Are you suggesting that market forces should determine property prices? Burn the heretic. Last time it nearly happened UK government found £1200 billion and spent it within weeks to prop up the market. The odd 5 billion to reassure those with flooded properties is small change. My point was that this aid should come from a tax on property ownership, as it is exclusively for the benefit of home owners. Edited by ingermany

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I imagine the Environment Agency boss has the requisite ducks in a row.

Central Government cuts to funding for flood defences and environmental work.

Decisions to build on flood plains, sometimes in the teeth of EA objections

Flood defences being built to withstand the rainfall and flood figures of the past

And so on.

HOLA4425