House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Rain

One of my endearing memories of my father, from whom I inherit so many tendencies, dates back to one particular year where it rained relentlessly for months.

Stood looking out of the living room window at the dull grey sky in the middle of summer, spoken with a heartfelt pissed-off despair:

"Every day it rains".

Rain here in Dumfries & Galloway.....again. Sometimes I notice myself thinking "it's been raining and grey skies for weeks" but there has been some respite with occasional rays of sunshine and dry weather.

During prolonged rainy spells I sometimes get an image of the deranged fan in the film Misery when she says something like I hate rain it makes me depressed.

This too shall pass. At sometime a frosty, dry and bright spell will arrive. :)

Currently I'm just grateful that I have a warm dry and flood free home to relax in.

If you are used to drier / sunnier climes, it is surprisingly difficult to understand the effect of continual (near continual) rain for long periods. i.e. "it rained yesterday, so therefore it MUST be dry tomorrow" type thinking. Unfortunately, much of the west coast of the UK just doesn't work like that.

It is the wind in this part of Wales which baffles the missus. She just never experienced anything like it in her home country. Gales are near terrifying to her, and she is more likely to go out in the rain than strong wind.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the cold weather to arrive. It's December and we're still getting days where the temperature is in double figures. We haven't the fire on since the beginning of Nov.

I'm convinced the weather has got far wetter in recent years, I've been doing the same outdoor job for 16 years now and for most of that time it was only about once or twice a month on average that I'd have a day where I got soaked to the skin, but for the last 2-3 years I can now pretty much guarantee that I'll get pissed wet through at least twice a week.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/stationdata/yeoviltondata.txt

Here is data from Yeovilton. I havent bothered to put in Excel to make a chart.

Do a search on "historic rainfall UK" and choose your most local weather station. See if it matches what you remember?

You wouldn't mind the rain so much if when it wasn't raining the clouds would dissapear... It is the grey that is more annoying than the water, unless like some are having excess water....I now see long distance horizons so the sky makes up a large part of the picture....yesterday there was a break in the clouds that became a wide expanse of nice blue sky, how that can make everything feel better. ;)

My mate's got a hydro-electric generator in his back garden which kicks out 40kW (which he flogs) when the river's high so he bloody loves the rain.

Feck, it is all 3 - rain, greyness and the howling wind.

Lack of light is the one you can't generate electricity from.

No such thing as bad weather - just the wrong clothes ...

That's the right weather for a t shirt and flip flops. :blink: Kept goinh by the broon fluid.

I respectfully disagree. I nearly got blown off my feet yesterday by winds that were gusting up to about 70mph.

Snow like that is playtime for me and the mountain bike!

Well ...

1379719_322249077917997_101628548_n.jpg?

Next up houses that are built on flood plains, flood shocker?

It's impossible to defend against floods unless you have somewhere to put the water, it has to go somewhere.

Tecnically mine is! Hasn't flooded yet. Famous last words? :huh:

Any other regions not experiencing much rain?. This is the first rainy season (Oct-Dec) that the Trent hasn't burst its bank below Trent bridge since I have been living in Nottingham. Also the mildest start to December of my lifetime so far.............., meaning 9.3c (late April weather)

http://uk.weather.com/weather/almanac/Nottingham+NGM+United+Kingdom+UKXX0104:1:UK

Personally, I'm still waiting for the cold weather to arrive. It's December and we're still getting days where the temperature is in double figures. We haven't the fire on since the beginning of Nov.

I'm in south Wales and when it hasn't been raining this past week it's been so mild it's practically been t-shirt weather.