House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

German Chancellor, Time Person Of The Year

Did you see who got 2nd? I've been spitting my corn flakes out.

I dont even consider them part of civilisation so how do they get 2nd? Or even a mention?

Seriously find it all more than a bit sinister and odd.

Did you see who got 2nd? I've been spitting my corn flakes out.

I dont even consider them part of civilisation so how do they get 2nd? Or even a mention?

Seriously find it all more than a bit sinister and odd.

It's not meant to be a 'prize'; just a judgement of who has most shaped the world over the last year.

Second was Al-Baghdadi, leader of ISIS.

He should have won[1]. Merkel has simply been reacting - whereas IS have been setting the agenda.

[1] I'm assuming the title is for impact rather than moral rectitude!

It's not meant to be a 'prize'; just a judgement of who has most shaped the world over the last year.

I know. Makes no difference. They do not seek to be part of our world. Why acknowledge them in this way? Who gains?

I nearly spat my coffee out when I read a quote from Merkel linked to the Time award.

Something like "Germany is our Homeland, but Europe is our future" :unsure:

Oo-err...that sounds familiar!

P

"Tomorrow Belongs to Me"

Picture1-1.png

Merkel is a completely incapable puppet, she doesn't say anything or make any decisions without a team of advisers that tell her what to say or do.

In a way she is an actress, playing her part, but the script has been written by others.

Merkel is a completely incapable puppet, she doesn't say anything or make any decisions without a team of advisers that tell her what to say or do.

In a way she is an actress, playing her part, but the script has been written by others.

Advisors advise; leaders decide.

Advisors advise; leaders decide.

Merkel is no leader.

Currently the only major country with a real leader in charge is Russia.

Merkel is no leader.

Currently the only major country with a real leader in charge is Russia.

Does the fact that Putin speaks far more frequently with Merkel than any other foreign leader tell you anything? She's the only serious interlocutor as far as he's concerned.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/sep/09/every-call-putin-has-made-to-a-world-leader-in-2014

Does the fact that Putin speaks far more frequently with Merkel than any other foreign leader tell you anything? She's the only serious interlocutor as far as he's concerned.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/sep/09/every-call-putin-has-made-to-a-world-leader-in-2014

Or it says more about the status of europe, the major neighbour of russia. Leader to leader as it were.

^ From Wikipedia

The distinction is supposed to go to the person who, for good or ill, has most affected the course of the year; it is therefore not necessarily an honor or a reward.

One can sort of see why Adolf got his Times picture but he was a dictator - but the eu is democratic. Hmm.