House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rw42

Absentee Landlord And Broken Fridge

Short story - about 2 weeks ago the fridge freezer broke. Called maintenance co on friday, they arranged to investigate monday.

Silence since then unless i phone up to nag - tuesday i find out they recommend replacement rather than repair, and they need the LL's permission to spend money. Nothing since - just silence till i nag, then they're 'still waiting on LL'.

I've lost my patience with it now, and am just going to go into lettings co tomorrow and tell them there'll be no more rent payments till it's fixed - don't see anything else i can do to actually make them get their **** in gear. Any comments on legality/sensibility of this?

I've had a google on how obligated LL is to replace and it seems a bit of a grey area - law is strong for gas/water fittings, but freezer seems to not be 'essential', and only falls under their obligation to keep any provided equipment maintained.

Halp!

Tell them you cannot live there without a fridge and you will be deducting the rent due for the period. I think anything over 7 days would be unreasonable.

do not know the correct answer....but how about informing the agents that you have been given no alternative but to buy a new one keeping the receipt and deducting that sum from next rental payment.....sorted.

Mostly because i don't want the hassle - this is a flat in inner london, and it's a fitted fridge/freezer rather than free-standing. I'd have to arrange delivery, installation, and disposal of the old one. Can give that as an option to the lettings agency i guess and see how impressed they are with that, rather than just completely withholding rent!

Mostly because i don't want the hassle - this is a flat in inner london, and it's a fitted fridge/freezer rather than free-standing. I'd have to arrange delivery, installation, and disposal of the old one. Can give that as an option to the lettings agency i guess and see how impressed they are with that, rather than just completely withholding rent!

I think the fact that it's fitted may be significant, a free standing unit might be a bit of a grey area but a fitted one surely must be the LL's responsibility.

Politely suggest to the agents that doing without a fridge these days is a serious inconvenience and that they pull their fingers out ASAP; if that doesn't work then perhaps give them an ultimatum, fix it or you'll do it for them and deduct the cost from the next rent payment.

Everything should of course be in writing so that you have evidence should a dispute arise at a later date.

Look the landlord is halfway around the world on a luxury cruise, don't trouble him with your trivial matters...

Buy a beer fridge, and use it for now (hide it from the landlord), and take with you when you move to your next overlord. landlord.

Fridges hardly ever break. Probably just needs defrosting.

Certainly true of my last fridge which is still running great after the OT advice to check the door seals.

Thanks OT B)

If the landlord provides a fridge-freezer, it's his responsibility to keep it in working condition. The only possible argument there would be "you damaged it", and the maintenance folks you called have presumably already assessed whether that's likely or even plausible at all.

That's one of the main reasons for rentals being unfurnished. Less scope for unwanted bills for the landlord.

I guess there could be a grey area if there were a fridge/freezer but it's not on the inventory.

As for what to do, I guess you serve notice on them to fix it promptly or you'll get it done and bill them. But probably best to get advice on how to do that. Your council probably has someone who deals with this sort of thing and can give a bit of free advice (and can serve nasty legal notices on landlords when something is seriously wrong).

IANAL.

If the landlord provides a fridge-freezer, it's his responsibility to keep it in working condition.

This isn't actually true, the correct answer is "what does the contract say".

The fact that the FF is fitted is probably significant, in that the flat is marketed as "with fitted FF", which presumably creates an obligation on the landlord to actually supply it.

This isn't actually true, the correct answer is "what does the contract say".

The fact that the FF is fitted is probably significant, in that the flat is marketed as "with fitted FF", which presumably creates an obligation on the landlord to actually supply it.

http://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2013/03/07/is-the-landlord-responsible-for-the-repair-of-kitchen-white-goods/

The fact the LL is absent is almost irrelevant - there is a contact for the maintenance company who should be able to make this sort of decision -

I assume the cost of a fridge is above the limit they can spend unauthorised.

You can force repairs by writing but it's a long time without a fridge.

Thanks for the replies, think ll must be reading it as I got a mail this morning saying replacement authorised now. Think I'll leave it there rather than chase more hassle about compensation for 2 weeks downtime!

Thanks for the replies, think ll must be reading it as I got a mail this morning saying replacement authorised now. Think I'll leave it there rather than chase more hassle about compensation for 2 weeks downtime!

Sounds good. ^_^