House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

After Nurses Now Teachers Have To Be Shipped In From Overseas

Firstly it's a great shame. Teaching used to be a very respectable middle-class job that a lot of people wanted to do.

Now it has become a stressful poorly-paid job that pretty much anyone with a degree can get into and many leave; whilst headteachers earn high six figure salalries. Yes, it's sounding more like the NHS every day.

Time to start running the Armstrong and Miller ads:

Schools in England face a deepening problem in recruiting enough teachers, head teachers say.

The National Association of Head Teachers said 59% of schools advertising for teachers "struggled" to get applicants and a further 20% failed completely to appoint anyone.

Russell Hobby, leader of the NAHT, said it was clear evidence of a "crisis".

But the Department for Education said the number of teachers now stood "at an all-time high".

The warning, based on a survey of 2,100 school leaders, is the latest about schools trying to recruit and retain enough staff.

Heads blame a negative attitude towards the profession by successive governments and an erosion of teachers' pay.

The Education Select Committee is investigating the extent of shortages and will be taking evidence on Wednesday, including from Mr Hobby.

"As well as concern about the number of teachers, our research has shown that schools are struggling to recruit people with the right kind of skills," said Mr Hobby.

This evidence from head teachers also warns of the extra cost from recruitment difficulties, with schools saying agency fees to find teachers can cost £10,000 for a single appointment.

As with nursing the recruitment agencies are doing well out of it.

I wonder what those "right kind of skills" are; ability to teach perhaps. If you downgrade a skilled profession into child-minding with iPads it's not going to attract quality teachers; they'll all work in the public schools.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35040283

I though about teaching once. glad I didn't do it. I agree it has been dumbed down, and they are not allowed enough autonomy. The comparison with the NHS is valid. Teachers and nurses must love their work to do it, but the CEO loves his pay packet.

"o warns of the extra cost from recruitment difficulties, with schools saying agency fees to find teachers can cost £10,000 for a single appointment."

Erm so they use teaching agencies who also supply supply teachers to get real teachers?

I know at least one supply teacher who can't get a permanent job.

You don't think it's cost agencies would make less money if they found the teachers jobs?

"o warns of the extra cost from recruitment difficulties, with schools saying agency fees to find teachers can cost £10,000 for a single appointment."

Erm so they use teaching agencies who also supply supply teachers to get real teachers?

I know at least one supply teacher who can't get a permanent job.

You don't think it's cost agencies would make less money if they found the teachers jobs?

These "agencies" can make quite a bit of money, and I am a great Xmas present for one of them this year. BIg companies do not do their own recruiting. They outsource it.

Anyone here involved in recruiting that could tell me the relative benefits of this?

These "agencies" can make quite a bit of money, and I am a great Xmas present for one of them this year. BIg companies do not do their own recruiting. They outsource it.

Anyone here involved in recruiting that could tell me the relative benefits of this?

You can get backhanders from your mates in the recruitment industry?

Why does it cost 10k to recruit a teacher?

Is that how much the advert is in the teacher magazine?

One bloke I met reckons it costs him about £25k to recruit a good engineer, in staff time, paperwork and agency fees. :blink:

Shipped in teachers to teach the shipped in people.

Stop it. You will depress me! :wacko:

Wackford Squeer's "academy for young gentlemen"? :o

I have just recalled what also jarred in the story on the radio this morning. The overseas recruitment tours include: Ireland.

I bet the Irish are delighted that they're paying out to fund teacher training and they then leave for here; do we do this for Irish doctors and nurses as well?

Yeah teaching sounds horrible, not the pay but the fact that you have to deal with other people's kids all day every day, plus marking and stuff when ya get home. I know the holidays are good but still doesn't seem worth it.

I'd say that kids more than ever will try to wind you up, but also simultaneously be aware of when you're stepping out of line and delight in trying to get you into trouble for it. Plus they all have cameras in their phones so can record your losing your temper!

I'm not terribly high paid, but I get to sit behind my computer and build things all day, relatively unbothered by the rest of the world. If I come in feeling crappy I can generally skive a bit on youtube or this site. Can't really decide to have a sneaky 'day off' like that if you're a teacher.

And the other worst things about being a teacher is that when you're not at work you are required by law to tell everybody else every single facet of what you have been doing all day however trivial because they will really want to hear all about it and be be eagerly awaiting your telling them all everything again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.....

I'm not terribly high paid, but I get to sit behind my computer and build things all day, relatively unbothered by the rest of the world. If I come in feeling crappy I can generally skive a bit on youtube or this site. Can't really decide to have a sneaky 'day off' like that if you're a teacher.

If you don't already count cutting and sticking as skiving that is.

My primary school teacher friends say that this years class is horrid. They're very badly behaved and have many more issues than any other year group. 6 year olds.

My primary school teacher friends say that this years class is horrid. They're very badly behaved and have many more issues than any other year group. 6 year olds.

Apparently a major issue with some primary schools in Belfast now is that because of recent immigration you have several languages being spoken in one class. Which can't make it easy for a teacher trying to control/teach everyone.

Apparently a major issue with some primary schools in Belfast now is that because of recent immigration you have several languages being spoken in one class. Which can't make it easy for a teacher trying to control/teach everyone.

English is the language of he school, even if some of the kids need special tutoring. I'm thinking of an ex colleague, Chinese bloke from Vietnam, had a cracking Belfast accent, since he was brought up there! :huh:

This one has 42 languages

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27263790

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/feb/28/school-20-languages-gladstone-primary

Not one pupil at the Peterborough school speaks English as a first language. But, despite the challenges, it has just received a glowing Ofsted report. The Guardian spent a day there

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11761250/More-than-300-different-languages-spoken-in-British-schools-report-says.html

More than 300 different languages are now spoken in British schools with English-speaking pupils becoming a minority in hundreds of classroom

Never worked in the public sector so never had much to do with it......but recently anecdotally have become aware that those who do, whatever they may do, don't feel particularly valued or even sometimes respected......my conclusion is it comes from the top, how they feel is passed down from top to the bottom, trickledown I think they call it, but this kind of trickledown is the negative kind.......thus in the end everyone ultimately feels it.

Population is growing from overseas

We need more nurses and teachers

SOLUTION - Bring them in from overseas

Population is growing from overseas

We need more nurses and teachers

SOLUTION - Bring them in from overseas

Rinse and repeat.

Is it the same situation as with the nurses though? A lot of qualified nurses end up going abroad where they can earn more eg Saudi or the States. Surely this doesn't happen as much with teachers?

British nurses gets paid ok. My pals burd qualified last year - now on just under £30k per year IIRC. Works 'compressed hours' so is in 3 x 12 hour shifts per week.

Not exactly slavery.

And the other worst things about being a teacher is that when you're not at work you are required by law to tell everybody else every single facet of what you have been doing all day however trivial because they will really want to hear all about it and be be eagerly awaiting your telling them all everything again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.....

Haha, so true.

My OH is a teacher, I get fascinating stories about her work on a daily basis. The worst is when I get dragged along to a social event with her colleagues. Most of them are very boring people who have nothing else to talk about except work. They're also working in a PC Gulag. If I'm stuck with them I pass the time by poking the hornets' nest!

Not sure whether this talleis with what I see esp. in the North.

I think its a stock response that does not reflect the truth. A bit like 'teachers spend 2 hours every day marking'.

I was helping a governor at my kids primary school with some stuff.

He was talking about recruiting a replacement - a proper job, not a maternity leave filler.

'Oh, we're having a hard time recruiting' said the head.

How long has the job ad been out?

'2 weeks'

How many responses?

'5'

How many would you employ?

'Oh 2 or 3 of them'

Eh?

I told him that my company takes about 3 months of advertising and chasing up leads to get 2 interviewees in the door.

I think its a stock response that does not reflect the truth. A bit like 'teachers spend 2 hours every day marking'.

He was talking about recruiting a replacement - a proper job, not a maternity leave filler.

'2 weeks'

How many responses?

'5'

'Oh 2 or 3 of them'

Eh?

I told him that my company takes about 3 months of advertising and chasing up leads to get 2 interviewees in the door.

That's what I am told!

'2 weeks'

How many responses?

'5'

'Oh 2 or 3 of them'

Eh?

I think it was nailed earlier (not by me): national pay levels

Why this stupidity persists in the public sector escapes me; you get paid the same to be a teacher or nurse in London with its insane housing costs as you do in County Durham with its cheap ones.

So in County Durham it's a decent kick, in London it's poverty level so they can't recruit anybody.