House Price Crash Forum

Dvd Boxes

MrPin

HOLA441

Why are Blu Ray boxes shorter than DVD boxes. Is it for the benefit of the blind? CD boxes are CD sized, but the discs are all the same diameter. :blink:

HOLA442

Why are Blu Ray boxes shorter than DVD boxes. Is it for the benefit of the blind? CD boxes are CD sized, but the discs are all the same diameter. :blink:

Mot save on matériel and transport costs? I'm glad. It also saves space in my wee hoosie!

HOLA443
HOLA444

Yes I like my films so I have a BluRay player. Have a trip to RicherSounds, and spend some money. Although the usefulness for you may be limited, if you don't have a television, but you can buy HDMI HD screens with audio, with no ability to receive. Tend to be more expensive than a TV in big sizes though!

I payed extra to got a hacked BluRay, that plays all regions of BluRay, and DVD, since a lot of my films were from the USA.

Now back to my original point. Vinyl records came in the right sized box, my shoes fit my feet, my guitar fits in a guitar sized box, so why do CDs, DVDs, and BluRay case sizes vary? :blink:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Remember, Mr P was recently unemployed, FH. He NEEDED a blu ray to entertain him. :blink:

Quite right as the old one burst 3 months ago. Honestly I have cabinets full of mostly DVD, but Some Blu Ray stacked floor to ceiling, but if the boxes were shorter I could move the shelves closer together, and get more in.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Quite right as the old one burst 3 months ago. Honestly I have cabinets full of mostly DVD, but Some Blu Ray stacked floor to ceiling, but if the boxes were shorter I could move the shelves closer together, and get more in.

Or you could just illegally download all the films and sell all your discs and pocket the space

I may or may not have done exactly this

HOLA449

Or you could just illegally download all the films and sell all your discs and pocket the space

I have down loaded crap film rips :wacko: (allegedly), but if it's a good film I want the BluRay version, as most rips are a DVD squashed onto 2 CDs

HOLA4410

I have down loaded crap film rips :wacko: (allegedly), but if it's a good film I want the BluRay version, as most rips are a DVD squashed onto 2 CDs

Its always possible to get the blu ray version, so im told, by a bloke... in the pub :o

Hey each to their own, but now I dont have discs cluttering up everywhere the space is much more satisfying as i can fill it with other equally pointless crap (ok, well the missus can haha)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Isn't 'Netflix and chill' what it's all about now?

I'd rather see and hear good quality, from a local source than blurred and jerky videos from the internet. If the internet goes off I still have a load of films to watch. I don't mind paying a few quid for the "hard copy". :huh:

HOLA4414

I'd rather see and hear good quality, from a local source than blurred and jerky videos from the internet. If the internet goes off I still have a load of films to watch. I don't mind paying a few quid for the "hard copy". :huh:

I have stuck with CDs, downloaded tracks are not the same, they feel like when we used to tape each others records as kids. Sure you have the music but you don't have the record.

I downloaded some for the car on a previous company phone but wiped those when I gave it back. I don't actually want hundreds of track on random play; I want one album which is what a CD gives me.

HOLA4415

I have stuck with CDs, downloaded tracks are not the same, they feel like when we used to tape each others records as kids. Sure you have the music but you don't have the record.

I downloaded some for the car on a previous company phone but wiped those when I gave it back. I don't actually want hundreds of track on random play; I want one album which is what a CD gives me.

Ah you see this is where I disagree with DTMark. I think most, but not all CDs are recorded in good quality. Some are a bit "compressed" especially pop ones. Mind you, I still have the facilty for vinyl, which I do believe sounds great, despite the few crackles. Especially the classical stuff, where they used a good quality pressing.

I guess it depends what you download.

I'm still wondering why DVD boxes are so long though!

HOLA4416

I suspect they have different boxes to distinguish between the different media - both in the shop, and also for the consumer at home. Plus it means the shelving/storage manufacturers get a new boost each time a new format comes out.

A friend of mine downloads 25GB rips of blu-rays (I don't know where he gets the patience) so things have moved on considerably from the days of a rip being CD sized. Personally, I tend to wait until they are under a fiver - but I've got a lot more selective since the old days.

HOLA4417

Ah you see this is where I disagree with DTMark. I think most, but not all CDs are recorded in good quality. Some are a bit "compressed" especially pop ones. Mind you, I still have the facilty for vinyl, which I do believe sounds great, despite the few crackles. Especially the classical stuff, where they used a good quality pressing.

I don't have the aural talent to properly distinguish; I recall people raving about the first CDs that were DDDs or remasters and they sounded the same to me.

I found vinyl a bit of a faff to use, tapes didn't let you play a particular song instantly, CDs nailed it for me in terms of having a nice physical product that was extremely usable. I can easily put in a CD whilst driving; try doing that wth an LP!

I used to have loads of CDs but had a blitz about ten years ago - they were taking up two drawers and I decided half had to go to the charity shop as I only wanted them taking up one drawer so a big sort was required. There haven't been many that I've regretted givng away.

HOLA4418

Then buy some empty bluray cases and put the DVDs in them...sorted!?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Wonder if it's a legacy of the video rental market that was in massive decline by the time Blu-ray came out.

Also didn't some games console come with Blu-ray in the quite early days, are the cases video game sized?

Since you can flog DVDs on eBay or Amazon by scanning the barcode with a smartphone I've got rid of hundreds that were stacked in plastic crates that realistically there's little chance of re-watching.

HOLA4422

Having digitalised my entire CD collection, and backed it up, I am now in two minds whether to sell them all. Funny that the physical artefacts maintain so much appeal!

HOLA4423

Since you can flog DVDs on eBay or Amazon by scanning the barcode with a smartphone I've got rid of hundreds that were stacked in plastic crates that realistically there's little chance of re-watching.

Can you do this with audio CDs too? (see above!)

HOLA4424

Having digitalised my entire CD collection, and backed it up, I am now in two minds whether to sell them all. Funny that the physical artefacts maintain so much appeal!

Did that years ago, haven't regretted it for a second. Although I did have 2000+ CD's and carting them around the 4 or 5 places I have lived since then possibly sets that opinion as much as anything else.

They are backed up in multiple places.

HOLA4425

Why not have an ear transplant that limits your frequency range from 5-20Hz. Then you can get away with "99 white noise hits" for 99p and flog the CDs and vinyl?

Archived