House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Recommend Me A Cast Iron Frying Pan

Title says it all, really.

I'm now head chef of the household[1] and can't abide the succession of shoddy rapidly delaminating "non stick" pans that Mrs JTB seems to use. So, I need a decent frying pan. Not one of those insanely expensive froggy ones, preferably.

[1] Expect a few galley-related questions over coming months. I suffer from a handicap in my new role - in that I can't actually cook. I can bake bread but that's about it apart from fry-ups and curries (well, "curry" singular - I have only one "recipe").

I don't recommend any of them. All of the non stick coatings (even the insanely expensive froggy ones) delaminate eventually, or simply lose their non-stick properties. Yes, even Mauviel.

You're much better off getting generic Tefal or similar, they work very well when new, but when they start to degrade, buy a new one.

I've got one of those froggy expensive ones. I bought it in 1987. And you can use it as a weapon if you can't cook.

I can recommend a frying pan I got from TKMax six months ago never sticks and cooks really well and evenly...called 'accademia mugnano' made in Italy

Stone Frying Pan with Non-Stick Coating Scratch-Resistant Stone 28 cm

Not cast iron but very good. ;)

41sltBbNbjL._SX425_.jpg

I can recommend a frying pan I got from TKMax six months ago never sticks and cooks really well and evenly...called 'accademia mugnano' made in Italy

Stone Frying Pan with Non-Stick Coating Scratch-Resistant Stone 28 cm

Not cast iron but very good. ;)

+1 for stone pans, found them very good so far but that is not an endorsement as only started using them this year.

The cast iron froggy ones can be cheap if you keep an eye on fleabay. Postage is high due to their weight so if one is for sale local to you, your offer will probably beat the offers of those having to pay for shipping.

I got a large Tefal non stick frying pan from Asda for £14 last year. The type with the magic red circle. Made in France hee hee. I only use plastic with it and so far so good. I mostly don't bother adding oil/lard as even eggs don't stick. If and when it dies I'll buy another one.

I've just checked. I have a Le Cresuet one. Now £125 in Selfridges. :huh: I think it cost £20 in 1886. So it has done a few fry ups. :huh:

It has travelled around with me and there are few items in my house I have had longer, so that is a recommendation. ^_^. I think it has some ceramic coating.

Actually it was 1986. :wacko:

I don't recommend any of them. All of the non stick coatings (even the insanely expensive froggy ones) delaminate eventually, or simply lose their non-stick properties. Yes, even Mauviel.

You're much better off getting generic Tefal or similar, they work very well when new, but when they start to degrade, buy a new one.

+1

Just go to hotukdeals, find out who has the latest non-stick pans on a deal, buy one, used it until it starts to annoy you and replace.

I picked up a £28 Tefal for £7 in Sainsburys a few weeks ago.

I have two 'hard anodised' Tefal frying pans, one of which which has lost most of its non stick properties over two years. Typically it has been used for searing/frying at very high temperatures making eg kebabs or cooking popadoms. The other bigger pan from the same range we have is ok by comparison and does not get high temperature use.

Dunno if I'd recommend them. Anyone know what the pros use?

can't abide the succession of shoddy rapidly delaminating "non stick" pans that Mrs JTB seems to use.

My wife stacks metal pans inside the non-stick pan while waiting to be washed, then grinds other metal/ceramics around in it during washing, stacks it on top of other pans (touching the teflon) to dry. Then complains that even though she never uses metal implements in it but it still gets ruined.

I have two 'hard anodised' Tefal frying pans, one of which which has lost most of its non stick properties over two years. Typically it has been used for searing/frying at very high temperatures making eg kebabs or cooking popadoms. The other bigger pan from the same range we have is ok by comparison and does not get high temperature use.

Dunno if I'd recommend them. Anyone know what the pros use?

I will not buy tefal anymore....they are good while they last but they do not last that long......you wonder where the black coating disappears to, hopefully not into the food....and no I do not have a dishwasher or use metal utensils to cook with......the motterly coated surface of my new pan does not ever need washing, nothing ever sticks and very little oil is required.....only a wipe with a clean damp cloth, dry and put away.....easy. :)

The best frying pan I have had in recent years was a Tesco home brand one - they do a higher quality one. It was a bit pricey though usually but I got it in one of their discount sales. I am keeping an eye out for a replacement.

Like I say, my horribly expensive cast iron one has been going for nearly 30 years.

Well, I'm going for the cast iron jobbie from the Amazon link up-thread. Mrs JTB (who is relinquishing the Head Chef position) will gladly buy it for me I expect.

I'm also expecting painting and decorating materials and gardening stuff.

(Can you tell I've recently become unemployed :) ?)

I purchased one of these in TK Maxx the other week and so far so good. Tried a few ceramic ones and some are better than others in terms of the coat staying on.

http://www.very.co.uk/salter-everest-24-cm-marblestone-frypan-grey/1458236617.prd?_requestid=150804

Well, I'm going for the cast iron jobbie from the Amazon link up-thread. Mrs JTB (who is relinquishing the Head Chef position) will gladly buy it for me I expect.

Hmm, well I hope you find the unemployment to be reasonably OK. I enjoyed the first month or so, and all my DIY plans went to pot. :(

The only tip I have is to keep one cast iron frying pan for steaks, use it for nothing else. El cheapo non stick pans from Ikea last a few months and are great for everyday fry-ups, but a steak pan needs to get really hot and non stick pans wouldn't last five minutes.

All my cookware is either cast iron, or stainless steel. These will last indefinitely.

Non stick pans are effectively disposable items.

Aye, the coating comes off. :wacko:

The only tip I have is to keep one cast iron frying pan for steaks, use it for nothing else. El cheapo non stick pans from Ikea last a few months and are great for everyday fry-ups, but a steak pan needs to get really hot and non stick pans wouldn't last five minutes.

Also being thick they tend to keep an even temperature all over. :blink: A good one won't really "wear out". Make sure it has a wooden handle. If you get an iron handle one you will need welding gloves. :huh: