House Price Crash Forum

Can You Use A Mon-Fri Let As Your Main Address?

pl1

HOLA441

Sorry to disrupt off-topic, but I need an answer to whether you can use a mon-fri (maybe sun-fri) let as a main address. Is it up to the landlord? What's the legal definition of "main residential address"? Is it where you spend most of your time?

I have tried to Google but it's not clear at all from what I can see. In fact I'd say the answer does not exist anywhere on t'intnernet. Maybe I should post in main forum?

I have a couple of places I could round-robin at the weekends but wouldn't be able to use those as a main address.

If not I'll abort it.

Thanks,

HOLA442

I thought for Council Tax purposes it's the place where you spend the bigger proportion of your time. I found that out to my cost in a job in Bristol where I had to pay council tax for my flat there Monday - Thursday. The Isle of Wight kindly let me off their proportion.

HOLA443

It's up to you. When I've worked away during the week I haven't bothered changing my address away form the weekend one because, although I was there less I regarded it as my permanent residence.

The only question would be one of security of the post; if you were happy that everything going to the Mon-Fri let would be received safely by you then go ahead.

HOLA444

I thought for Council Tax purposes it's the place where you spend the bigger proportion of your time. I found that out to my cost in a job in Bristol where I had to pay council tax for my flat there Monday - Thursday. The Isle of Wight kindly let me off their proportion.

This is my understanding of it, but everyone says I thought this or I heard that. I can't get any statute or hard fact on what constitutes it in England.

It's up to you. When I've worked away during the week I haven't bothered changing my address away form the weekend one because, although I was there less I regarded it as my permanent residence.

The only question would be one of security of the post; if you were happy that everything going to the Mon-Fri let would be received safely by you then go ahead.

That's just it though for me, I won't have a weekend one I can use if I go this route. It would have to be mon-thu or nowt. For various reasons I don't want to drop off the electoral roll. Won't landlord have something to say about it? Or is it not down to them if the definition is down to time spent at address?

HOLA445
HOLA446

Yes you can. I used a rented London address for two years. My own house in Bristol, being mostly empty got lower council tax.

HOLA447
HOLA448

You can use anything you like even a PO Box.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/po-box

The legalities surrounding council tax ect are tied up in the declarations you sign.

Does that apply to things such as ones Driving Licence? or for your Bank Account? etc

Presumably not for car insurance? since they base the charge for it in part on the postcode where the car is expected to be most of the time when not in use.

Methinks that, other than for business purposes, a PO Box address is of little use? I stand ready to be corrected though.

HOLA449

Does that apply to things such as ones Driving Licence? or for your Bank Account? etc

I kept those all registered at my Bristol house. I just declared the London flat to be my main residence. I was only in Bristol for about two weekends a month, It's all legal. :blink: Honest guv!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If you are an MP your main residence is defined as the one that you can claim the most expenses on.

Unfortunately I was not an MP. But yes, some of these people have been very imaginative with expense claims. :wacko:

Archived