House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Flight Or Film? How Cameraphones Made The Bystander Key To Spreading Terror Message

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/06/flight-or-film-cameraphones-bystander-spreading-terror-message

In the 1970s, an American special forces officer turned academic called Brian Michael Jenkins declared that ‘terrorism is theatre.’ The logic was that politically minded terrorist organisations were keener to disseminate their message than cause deaths. The deaths were part of the way to attract attention, with the priority being visibility to advance their message. High-profile hijackings or public murders were the norm, with the 9/11 attacks the apex of this approach.

Previously the medium to disseminate this message was the television news. Now, with video cameras ubiquitous in our phones, we are all mediums through which terrorists can transmit and broadcast.

The brutal murder of Lee Rigby in May 2013 was a turning point in terrorist messaging. Using basic weaponry, the two murderers butchered the off-duty solider before stating their creed to anyone who was standing around to listen. Having prepared no clear video or other statement of intent, the two men were entirely reliant on the wider public around them to help spread their message through short video clips recorded on telephones. And yet this medium worked to the point that, in some ways, that particularly brutal but low-casualty attack had more impact than larger terrorist plots that followed.

Woolwich was not the first low-tech terror attack in the UK. In 2010, a young woman from east London entered the office of her local MP, Stephen Timms, armed with a knife from Tesco and attempted to kill him for his vote years earlier in support of the Iraq war. And in the days prior to the murder of Rigby, a Ukrainian far-right terrorist murdered Mohammed Saleem in Birmingham.

The video evidence I'm sure is invaluable for the courts, it's far better than any witness statement as what is filmed will show what was happening at the time of the event.

I suppose you could also make the argument that it's an act of defiance, yes where filming you but we aren't running away.

It's surprising the ammount of people that have the precence of mind to start filming a video in the midst of a terror attack, i remember the local barman at the Marahaba Hotel in Tunisia actually following the gunman and filming him then going onto the beach and filming all the victims, he wa even narrating of sorts or just thinking out loud as he was taking in what had just happened / was still happening.

I'm not sure what makes people think "i'll get my phone out & film this"

The problem now is that instead of helping people are standing by and filming. They are not helping nor are they escaping from danger.

For years TV News crews have been accused of chasing misery and filming disasters and injuries rather than helping - the same can now be hurled at loads of the public.

Being cynical, someone is going to film something and the footage will be worth a fortune if they handle it right. Making money from other people's deaths though... but that is what New Broadasters and TV journos do day in day out.

The guy they interviewed on ch4 news about the tube stabbling went back to film before taking his girlfriend home and coming back and is the one who heard him say 'this is for Syria'

I can hear the rat-tat-tatting of machine guns now.

It's surprising the ammount of people that have the precence of mind to start filming a video in the midst of a terror attack, i remember the local barman at the Marahaba Hotel in Tunisia actually following the gunman and filming him then going onto the beach and filming all the victims, he wa even narrating of sorts or just thinking out loud as he was taking in what had just happened / was still happening.

I'm not sure what makes people think "i'll get my phone out & film this"

They film because in disseminating the footage they will be the centre of attention among their friends, if only briefly.

Warhol's 'fifteen minutes of fame'.

They film because in disseminating the footage they will be the centre of attention among their friends, if only briefly.

Warhol's 'fifteen minutes of fame'.

I think it also emotionally distances you from what you're seeing and gives a sense of invulnerability, as if you're not part of the action but just an observer.

I think it also emotionally distances you from what you're seeing and gives a sense of invulnerability, as if you're not part of the action but just an observer.

That is a real danger faced by cameramen - they forget that they are in a dangerous place and can easily end up a victim.

Flight every time.

Maybe a bit of fight too, i would like to think.

Getting the phone out would not occur to me in any sembelance of danger.

As Juvenal says, its about small time celebrity. Its actually quite sad.

The problem now is that instead of helping people are standing by and filming. They are not helping nor are they escaping from danger.

For years TV News crews have been accused of chasing misery and filming disasters and injuries rather than helping - the same can now be hurled at loads of the public.

Being cynical, someone is going to film something and the footage will be worth a fortune if they handle it right. Making money from other people's deaths though... but that is what New Broadasters and TV journos do day in day out.

I nearly put that but wasn't sure if you could make money from it, but then Zapruder film was worth a fortune.

I nearly put that but wasn't sure if you could make money from it, but then Zapruder film was worth a fortune.

It is a difficult situation to be in if you are a good person. You might record something and feel that it can help others, or the security services, by emailing it to a newspaper or broadcaster.

What a lot of media organisations will not admit is that they then consider such received material as their own property and feel more than willing to then sell it on to other media organisations in syndication.

I think - could be wrong - if you go to a few well known media sites and find their page where they say send us your photos or videos of a news story... and somewhere, in the small print, is a disclaimer saying that if you do that they then consider that footage their property.

and then to have the presence of mind despite all the mayhem to have the correct sound bite. What was it "You ain't no Muslim, bruv!"

Remarkably cool under all the circumstances. Most people would just be bystanders/observers in shock.

If a terrorist incident happened near me, I would get away as fast as possible.

Flight too for me! All this filming gives weight to the conspiracy theories when things like this occur, what nutter thinks to get their phone out!

If one happened near me I'd be upset if I didn't get blown up in it.

You would get in the papers, like fish and chips used to! :blink:

This bloke is annoyed at the nancy boys with their phones :unsure: Do you reckon he's a Geordie?

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/07/hero-of-leytonstone-hits-out-at-people-who-stood-by-and-filmed-it-all-5548671/

P

Way aye mon! Geordies make Yorkshiremen look like proper ponces! I'm from the rough Surrey stockbroker belt BTW! Did live in Newcastle for a while. Divvent ye dress like a student, mon. It's bad Karma. :o

Poundland killer armed with 'foot long knives' tasered by police

A murder investigation has been launched after a man armed with "foot-long knives" stabbed a customer to death in a Poundland store.

The knifeman, 36, was tasered by police and arrested as horrified shoppers looked on.

A second man was injured nearby and officers are investigating whether this is connected.

The shop in Bury Street, Abingdon was on lockdown this morning as customers were ushered to a safe area by staff, while the knife-wielding attacker was wandering in the aisles.

The knifeman was said by onlookers to have been shouting as he went on the rampage but police said they could not confirm what he was saying.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/12037632/Poundland-killer-armed-with-foot-long-knives-tasered-by-police.html

Yes strange one this, have to see how it pans out.

I notice comments were not allowed on the Leytonstone terror attack on pretty much all media sites except RT

Yes strange one this, have to see how it pans out.

I notice comments were not allowed on the Leytonstone terror attack on pretty much all media sites except RT

It is a criminal case now - so comments are not allowed.