House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

Xmas Real Ale Thread

Top 5 brews. My list is somewhat tempered by what I can get hold of in these parts in bottles.

1. Hobgoblin (Wychwood Brewery)

2. Ruddles County (Greene King)

3. Abbott (Green King)

4. Fuller's IPA (Fullers)

5. New World IPA (Marstons)

Old Speckled Hen & Bishops Finger also contenders.

Notice my local spoons had a special Xmas ale on the other day....

My current favourite tipple is Shipyard IPA which is an American pale ale and marketed by the spoons as a real ale but it clearly isn't.

It passes through the cooler and one of those CO2 pumps.

All the same I find it full of flavour and a different taste.

Of course all the other 'real ales' are pumped from aluminium barrels same as other beers.

When I was a member of CAMRA proper real ale had to be dispensed from wooden barrels. That was back in the time though when I used to have 1 pint of Fullers Extra Special Bitter and keel over.

1) 1698 (Shepherd Neame)

2) Innis & Gunn Original (Innis & Gunn)

3) Marston's Strong Pale Ale (Marston)

4) Waggle Dance (Wells)

5) Directors (Courage)

And lots of Newcy Brown...!

XYY

Wheat beer is my special Christmas treat, and this beer doesn't seem to vary much between brands so whatever is on offer.

Other than that anything by Fullers and as it's Christmas this will include some ESB and 1845.

Innis and Gunn with their whisky overtones will be in the mix somewhere.

1) 1698 (Shepherd Neame)

4) Waggle Dance (Wells)

5) Directors (Courage)

XYY

Can you still get Directors?

I can recall Courage Pubs being all over the place in my youth. You never see them today....

I can recall one being at an (Military skills) competition which Courage sponsored (and provided free beer) where we stole the **** (as in the image below) off their delivery wagon....

4207781596_046e1697ac_b.jpg

Can you still get Directors?

I can recall Courage Pubs being all over the place in my youth. You never see them today.

Plenty of supermarkets selling Directors in bottles up here in the North-East geezer.

It would be weird if you can't get it 'darn sarf' as that's where it comes from..!

XYY

Plenty of supermarkets selling Directors in bottles up here in the North-East geezer.

It would be weird if you can't get it 'darn sarf' as that's where it comes from..!

XYY

It's indeed a commonish beer down here, used to brewed by Courage in Bristol until it was taken over and is presumably now brewed on a soulless industrial estate somewhere.

I've only drunk it about twice in twenty years as it holds the dubious distinction of being the only beer that has ever made me lose a day's work. It was on at a pub near work and I'd not had it before, tasted it and liked it so that was the evening's beer. I hadn't appreciated how strong it was, but did so the next morning when I got up for work and fell back down on my bed. Oops.

I find enough Abbot Ale, or Bass makes me lose control of my bottom! :blink:

Still, there are some fine beer choices in this thread. ^_^

1) 1698 (Shepherd Neame)

4) Waggle Dance (Wells)

5) Directors (Courage)

XYY

There was one fine Shepherd Neame pub in Croydon. It's a Kent beer. Unfortunately, on one night, the pub was full of the National Front off duty, and my boozing chum was black, so we went elswhere!

There was one fine Shepherd Neame pub in Croydon. It's a Kent beer. Unfortunately, on one night, the pub was full of the National Front off duty, and my boozing chum was black, so we went elswhere!

In ten years in London I reinforced my view that Shepherd Neame and Youngs, with the possible exception of its Oatmeal Stout, are deliberately brewed to be undrinkable. I try a Spitfire every few years to see if I like it any better but the answer is always "no".

And then I had for several years Wychwood (namechecked above) as a regional brewer. I loved their imagery and advertising "Afraid of the Dark, Lagerboy?" but thier recipes with a chunk of the sugars unbrewed giving them all a syrupy winter ales taste left me cold.

In ten years in London I reinforced my view that Shepherd Neame and Youngs, with the possible exception of its Oatmeal Stout, are deliberately brewed to be undrinkable. I try a Spitfire every few years to see if I like it any better but the answer is always "no".

And then I had for several years Wychwood (namechecked above) as a regional brewer. I loved their imagery and advertising "Afraid of the Dark, Lagerboy?" but thier recipes with a chunk of the sugars unbrewed giving them all a syrupy winter ales taste left me cold.

Wychwood is actually owned by Marstons which unlike Greene King haven't centralised the production of all the regional breweries they have bought up.

Wychwood is actually owned by Marstons which unlike Greene King haven't centralised the production of all the regional breweries they have bought up.

I like them, I like their branding and their image. I want to like their beers but don't.

Similalrly Shepherd Neame, oldest brewery in Britain down in Faversham, and Youngs, good old historic London brewery, are two brewers that I like very much on many levels, but don't like their actual beer.

Top 5 brews. My list is somewhat tempered by what I can get hold of in these parts in bottles.

1. Hobgoblin (Wychwood Brewery)

2. Ruddles County (Greene King)

3. Abbott (Green King)

4. Fuller's IPA (Fullers)

5. New World IPA (Marstons)

Old Speckled Hen & Bishops Finger also contenders.

Back up options

6. London Pride (Fullers)

7. Old Speckled Hen (Greene King)

8. Greene King IPA - ok not that great but when your alternative is the dogs urine served as beer in Australia GK IPA is quite welcome.

9. Marstons Pedigree

10. Sheepshaggers Gold :D Cairngorm Brewery

I like them, I like their branding and their image. I want to like their beers but don't.

Similalrly Shepherd Neame, oldest brewery in Britain down in Faversham, and Youngs, good old historic London brewery, are two brewers that I like very much on many levels, but don't like their actual beer.

I really like Hobgoblin. Strangely Ruddles is running a close second at present having overtaken Abbot which was my preference.

There are 4 real nuts in my local spoons who form a defensive shield around the 4 real ale pumps despite a long, long bar. They give the impression that they are petrified that someone else might buy a pint.

Back up options

6. London Pride (Fullers)

7. Old Speckled Hen (Greene King)

8. Greene King IPA - ok not that great but when your alternative is the dogs urine served as beer in Australia GK IPA is quite welcome.

9. Marstons Pedigree

10. Sheepshaggers Gold :D Cairngorm Brewery

I will go with Sheepshaggers. Not widely available but local to central Scotland in the Highlands. I drink it on my occasional visits to Aviemore.

SheepShaggers2.jpg

Surely Directors in a bottle is not the same as a draught pint? Sounds like appeasement to me when they discontinued it on draught?

I thought a Christmas ale had to have some mention of Christmas, Santa, reindeers, tinsel, etc, etc, in its name to qualify as a Christmas ale. You lot are just naming your favourite real ales.

sam+beard+tint.jpg

I thought a Christmas ale had to have some mention of Christmas, Santa, reindeers, tinsel, etc, etc, in its name to qualify as a Christmas ale. You lot are just naming your favourite real ales.

With this and your mention of "real ale nuts" you reveal yourself as a shandy drinker TMT.

Christmas Ales are in general awful. Brewed to stupid strengths so that you have a near-instant hangover, stuffed with flavourings more appropriate to a Christmas pudding, and with enough syrup to instantly give you Type II diabetes.

These are beers that are a treat for Christmas, rather than Christmas beers.

I find enough Abbot Ale, or Bass makes me lose control of my bottom! :blink:

Still, there are some fine beer choices in this thread. ^_^

You are supposed to drink it - not use it as an enema :lol:

With this and your mention of "real ale nuts" you reveal yourself as a shandy drinker TMT.

Christmas Ales are in general awful. Brewed to stupid strengths so that you have a near-instant hangover, stuffed with flavourings more appropriate to a Christmas pudding, and with enough syrup to instantly give you Type II diabetes.

gower-gold_large.png?v=1411563551

'Nuff said.

Like bitter but don't tend to drink to much because it gives me a headache. Lager not so much.

However at Xmas I can lie in bed to recover, so I will be going for a box of this :

https://www.bathales.com/our-ales/aid/dark-side/

Edit : Forgot, this was a beer and not a stout thread

Looks promising. I'm back in the UK for a Month in June. Do these sell in the Supermarkets. I will be in the Cambridge area.

+1