House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Storm Desmond - Wow

Well it's a bit windy down yer and it's not rained all day but it's certainly hitting some places hard:

2F146E1600000578-3347174-The_Environment

This is a road in Braithwaite, Cumbria:

2F14FCD100000578-3347174-image-a-3_14493

Tewkesbury going to go under again by the way those rain warnings seem to trace out the Severn valley.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3347174/Nightclub-evacuated-gales-rip-signs-storm-brings-landslides-floods-road-chaos-northern-Britain.html

Anecdotal having seen that picture - through being a bit of a prat I found myself recently in a very fast flowing river having been thrown off my inflatable. It was only a bit over knee deep and I'm a big strong lad but it was a huge effort to get up and retrieve my inflatable so I could get back on it, the rounded pebbles of its bed didn't help . I would not have believed that water that shallow would have been that much of a problem, you don't realise the power of fast water until you've had to fight against it. I've been caught in rip tides but knowing what to do (swim across it, don't struggle against it) means that they haven't phased me. This shallow river did.

The BBC News showed a wall about 6 foot high and water was pouring over it. They did not show the other side but it gave the impression that the wall was all that stood between a swollen river and a village.

Not wet here! Good! :unsure: Windy though.

This is a road in Braithwaite, Cumbria:

2F14FCD100000578-3347174-image-a-3_14493

No it isn't. That is the stream running through Braithwaite, taken from the eastern bridge over.

(obviously running a bit high, but it isn't a road)

All that water flowing down the Eden will wind up in Carlisle eventually so we could see a rerun of the 2005 flood if the defences do not hold.

Interestingly, the Eden Valley is the only place in the UK with a named wind - the Helm Wind. Not a lot of people know that, or care.

Kendal, Appleby and Keswick all seriously flooded. Keswick only just got new flood defences a couple of years ago.

Kendal, Appleby and Keswick all seriously flooded. Keswick only just got new flood defences a couple of years ago.

I know some rich doctors who live around Kendal. I am sure they will be able to get out by helicopter or starship. Doctors can do anything.

Joking aside, I feel for the people living in those places. Must be terribly frightening and depressing.

Hostel guests 'completely stranded' in Ennerdale Valley
Posted at 00:07

Walter Clooter who runs a hostel in Ennerdale Valley in Cumbria says the downpours haven't stopped.

Walter Clooter, this is your much-deserved 15 minutes of fame. With a name like Walter Clooter, we shall never forget you.

Tewkesbury is an island that is occasionally accessible on foot in periods of drought.

The river gets out occasionally. Does seem to be a wet place.

It has been windy down in Hampshire but not especially so. Even still the power went off for two hours tonight. But then that's not that unusual for round here since we normally get a power cut at least every other month.

Dr Foster of Gloucester has been relocated.

In a helicopter?

Well that's an old rhyme, so I guess it has always been a wet area. The floods in Cheltenham in 2007, were pretty bad.

I'm watching the pics from Sky News right now. The woman in the studio is trying hard to not corpse at having to describe the floods in Cockermouth - it's like the Biggus Dickus sketch from The Life of Brian. The female reporter on the spot is supressing a snigger too.

Grow up grils. these are terrible pictures...