House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Smoking On Balcony

The last week of our holiday has been spoiled by a heavy smoker in the next door apartment. She goes out onto her balcony which is separated from ours with a low frosted glass screen and smokes a cigarette every fifteen minutes, starting at 07:00 and finishing at 23:00. She keeps her balcony door closed so that the smoke doesn't go into her apartment, but it blows straight into ours :(.

I'm not going to do anything this year as we're leaving on Monday morning, but for next year I'm thinking of bringing a sensitive smoke detector and fitting it in the balcony.

The apartment is in a no smoking building but I don't think the Spanish enforce no smoking rules on balconies, they certainly don't in restaurants with awnings, we ate out yesterday and were surrounded by fellow diners all smoking whilst we were trying to eat.

Any suggestions?

Loudly fart every time she lights up?

Make up a story about your wife's asthma?

I don't think she speaks English and probably wouldn't hear me over her coughing if she did.

I think I'll open a bottle of Rioja and drown my sorrows.

Hold a big smelly barbeque on your side of the fence, onions, sausages, that sort of stuff.

Seriously though, if someone is a smoker and they have to smoke outside where else will they smoke ? They can't smoke outside their front door because that's inside, right ?

So if they are not going to smoke on the balcony then they have to go right out of the building every time they want a smoke, which isn't really going to happen is it ?

There are probably only 2 solutions. One is a smokeless ashtray outside. The other is for them to smoke away from your side, which will mean the other neighbours get it.

Hold a big smelly barbeque on your side of the fence, onions, sausages, that sort of stuff.

Seriously though, if someone is a smoker and they have to smoke outside where else will they smoke ? They can't smoke outside their front door because that's inside, right ?

So if they are not going to smoke on the balcony then they have to go right out of the building every time they want a smoke, which isn't really going to happen is it ?

There are probably only 2 solutions. One is a smokeless ashtray outside. The other is for them to smoke away from your side, which will mean the other neighbours get it.

In all honesty that is exactly what I would do if I were still smoking, I was a considerate smoker.

A powerful fan pointing over the top of the screen that blows the smoke back and makes a mess of her hair.

I think I'll make a dummy smoke detector with an LED, a sounder and a switch for next year. Loud enough to annoy her but not anyone else and turn it on every time she lights up.

I think I'll make a dummy smoke detector with an LED, a sounder and a switch for next year. Loud enough to annoy her but not anyone else and turn it on every time she lights up.

I once saw something in a joke shop that would make a coughing sound.

Tricky, but I still beilive that your right to fresh air 'trumps' her right to smoke. Some countries (I think Australia) have extended the no smoking in bars and restaurants to the area outside them as well.

I would mention to her that the smoke blows into your apartment, but most smokers take umbrage to having it pointed out to them how their anti social habit affects others, so if you do that, be prepared for a fall out.

When you've fallen out withher, then I would resort to fans, smoke alarms and might install some plants on the glass screen which I would regularly and carelessly water with a hose pipe spray.

Think yourself lucky. A smoker next door is indeed a pain, but it's as nothing compared to a neighbour with one of those wood-burning boilers :( .

What do your neighbours burn in it? :o

Just stand on your balcony, pee over the railings and wave at her while you do it.

you've lived in Brighton? :blink:

Is it a timeshare or something? Next year couldn't you ask a few apartment owners what their policy is re smoking. As you say whatever the rule it probably won't be enforced, but you could use it as a reason to swap apartments if you end up next to another heavy smoker.

The last week of our holiday has been spoiled by a heavy smoker in the next door apartment. She goes out onto her balcony which is separated from ours with a low frosted glass screen and smokes a cigarette every fifteen minutes, starting at 07:00 and finishing at 23:00. She keeps her balcony door closed so that the smoke doesn't go into her apartment, but it blows straight into ours :(.

I'm not going to do anything this year as we're leaving on Monday morning, but for next year I'm thinking of bringing a sensitive smoke detector and fitting it in the balcony.

The apartment is in a no smoking building but I don't think the Spanish enforce no smoking rules on balconies, they certainly don't in restaurants with awnings, we ate out yesterday and were surrounded by fellow diners all smoking whilst we were trying to eat.

Any suggestions?

Go out more often. ;)