House Price Crash Forum
sPinwheel

I Give Up

I'm 41 and have got what is a very modest budget for the UK but I could effectively retire if I bought somewhere in Spain or France... just wish I had the balls to do it!

Just move to the south of france or Spain, the Euro is toast in the long run due to political meddling. It'll only get cheaper to buy in Euros over the next few years leading up to the referendum. Immigrants move to the UK all the time leaving their friends and family behind and learning a new language. You can do it to.

I'm 41 and have got what is a very modest budget for the UK but I could effectively retire if I bought somewhere in Spain or France... just wish I had the balls to do it!

That's my plan with Malta or Spain being the current front runners. Why don't you 'retire' and rent for 6-12 months first? If you don't like it you can try somewhere else or return to Blighty with no home to sell. If you do like it then stay and buy.

I'm absolutely ready to STR. With the house having "made" 15% equity in 9 years, and the looming crash, it makes so much more sense to sell and step out of the market. Having worked 70-100 hours a week for 8 years, have managed to pay off the 7-times joint income N.R. mortgage and accumulated significant savings. Going to get a huuuge bucket of popcorn to watch from my rented accommodation. Going to need to open around 16 bank accounts with different institutions to protect from crash though (not sure there are that many separate banking licences in the UK tbh.)

What with the Tories continually stoking the fire since 2010, I too am beginning to lose faith that I will ever be able to buy another home. I have another 30 years of employment to go.

If it doesn't happen then I too will consider emigrating post retirement.

Just move and ****** the UK.

Even if it does pop, savings have been stolen with inflation and might take 10 years to unravel. A whole generation has been fnked up.

Or buy somewhere cheap in UK, work very little and avoid paying tax.

I'm planning to self build in Wales next year or move to the Azores if the euro tanks.

For my UK option I thought seriously about Wales but it's just a bit to wet. I'm seriously looking to self-build a small energy efficient oak framed home in either Herefordshire or Shropshire. Just need to find some affordable land now.

Never been to nor considered the Azores as a place to live but am very receptive to leaving the UK. Can you highlight the pro's and con's from your perspective?

Going to need to open around 16 bank accounts with different institutions to protect from crash though (not sure there are that many separate banking licences in the UK tbh.)

'Looming crash'. You actually need to sell before you count up every pound of your hpi cash riches.

I've been waiting for price falls for as long as I can remember. Places I want to live, that is, like not to far from work and in a reasonably pleasant area.

I don't want to settle for some shīthile, someplace with a 50 mile daily commute.

Hence I give up

Hey I give up too, dont worry about it

The entire country is racking up debt which can never be repaid, people on half my wages I am drive big beemers and have 2 grand couches and 200k+ houses. The entire thing is going to go pop so you might as well sit and enjoy the bang and not care, just rent something as modest as you can get away with and spend your money enjoying yourself. Travel, live and experience.

Do you see the growth to ever pay it back? I dont, do you see the economy building up to support a lot of well paying jobs? I dont, i see endless cuts, outsourcing and automation.

Enjoy yourself and be glad you are a unique and interesting person :)

YOU ARE NOT YOUR HOUSE.

I doubt anyone with enough money to buy a house in the UK in cash, that they earned, would have the lack of sense to put themselves on the bottom of the pyramid scheme either.

'Looming crash'. You actually need to sell before you count up every pound of your hpi cash riches.

Absolutely Agree venger. point is that the ponzi I jumped onto 8-9 years ago (before I discovered HPC) has only garnered 2.7% "gain" and that's before inflation / interest considerations. TBH I'm sick of the UK and it's attitude of pushing to become a greater debter & Greater wage slave. I certainly know I would not have been able to raise 15 chickens in a rental property but that was my call :)

For my UK option I thought seriously about Wales but it's just a bit to wet. I'm seriously looking to self-build a small energy efficient oak framed home in either Herefordshire or Shropshire. Just need to find some affordable land now.

Never been to nor considered the Azores as a place to live but am very receptive to leaving the UK. Can you highlight the pro's and con's from your perspective?

I looked at land once too. Crazy expensive.

I looked at land once too. Crazy expensive.

Agreed, especially if you have to bring services (electricity, gas, sewerage, phone line) any great distance. A fortune spent before you even get out of the ground. :(

Might by a cheap studio, after all I can't imagine renting in retirement. Just give me a small roof and a warm room

Growing his hair worked for Samson, and He-Man had that sword trick. Not sure that a cheap studio will have the desired effect, but you might as well give it a go.

he-man-i-have-the-power-o.gif

I gave up back in 2013, at 41 years old. No worries. Life goes on. I'm off to Thailand later this year. In a way, I feel lucky. My life has been very interesting in the last 10 years all because house prices in the UK have been so high. I'm forced down the road (fairly) less traveled. If house prices were affordable, I'd have ended up as some Norman Normal stuck in Northampton over the next 20-25 years chipping away at a mortgage.

My life has been very interesting in the last 10 years all because house prices in the UK have been so high. I'm forced down the road (fairly) less traveled. If house prices were affordable, I'd have ended up as some Norman Normal stuck in Northampton over the next 20-25 years chipping away at a mortgage.

Some of the Norman Normals mock us, you know. 'Only' a renter!? At your time of life? Their laughter seems increasingly hollow of late. Sat in a house, in suburbia, same view of the same garden for 15 years or more. Same job. Same town. Never took a chance, too much to lose! What if though? What if? Ha ha loser renters! There now I feel better. Life goes by quick doesn't it? What if…

I feel a bit sorry for all of us, but more so them. Laugh it up Mr Mortgage, its all you've got. You can have that on me. Have a little laugh. You know you mean it, don't you?

Some of the Norman Normals mock us, you know. 'Only' a renter!? At your time of life? Their laughter seems increasingly hollow of late. Sat in a house, in suburbia, same view of the same garden for 15 years or more. Same job. Same town. Never took a chance, too much to lose! What if though? What if? Ha ha loser renters! There now I feel better. Life goes by quick doesn't it? What if

I feel a bit sorry for all of us, but more so them. Laugh it up Mr Mortgage, its all you've got. You can have that on me. Have a little laugh. You know you mean it, don't you?

I Agree with the sentiment, we have to be careful we choose what is right for us and not every path is right for everyone. I believe for some the right path is to settle in one place with some material security of a home and it's a shame that this option had now gone in many parts of the UK.

For me, I still haven't worked out what is best, I have options available to move country which may work out or not, but one thing is for sure if I sign up for a huge mortgage at today's prices I will never have an opportunity to move until I retire.

Edited by streamingfreedom

Some of the Norman Normals mock us, you know. 'Only' a renter!? At your time of life? Their laughter seems increasingly hollow of late. Sat in a house, in suburbia, same view of the same garden for 15 years or more. Same job. Same town. Never took a chance, too much to lose! What if though? What if? Ha ha loser renters! There now I feel better. Life goes by quick doesn't it? What if…

A lot of my friends are facing redundancy. In fact much of the work world seems to be becoming much less secure, and I wonder if any of us can rely on any more than 2-3 years of work with the same company any more? The 'security' of a fixed-location home doesn't look so good in that situation, unless you're near a big city with lots of job options in commutable distance.