House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Rail Fares Set To Increase By 1.1% In 2016

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rail-fares-are-set-to-increase-more-than-wages-in-2016-a6759866.html

It has been announced rail fares will increase more than wages in 2016.

The Rail Delivery Group, who represent National Rail and train operators, have said rail fares will increase by no more than 1.1% as of 2 January, while George Osborne announced in his 2015 budget report that public sector wages will be capped at 1%.

The new pricing will affect regulated fares, including season tickets and peak time tickets, which are tied to Retail Price Index inflation.

However, unregulated fares, such as off-peak tickets and walk on fares, could increase by significantly more as they are subject to a price increase decided by the Rail Delivery Group.

Prices always need to go up...

Expect more traffic. Rail fares are way out of sync with peoples' earings.

They'd raise them by 5%+ if not.

Btw. Cattle class is shit, uncomfortable and inpractical.

I'd rather drive.

Edited by onlyme2

My 40 mile commute is cheaper in a car than on the train. And usually considerably more comfortable, as "standing room only" is a thing.

And at least once a week the train manages to be the best part of an hour late. On a 30 minute journey.

I know at least two otherwise law abiding morally decent middle class full time employed people who, by their own admission, have in the last year or so resorted to exploiting the few available 'weaknesses' of train operators (e.g. lack of entry/exit barriers at some stations, etc) in order to save money on their regular commutes wherever/whenever they can.

I was shocked to hear this, but not surprised. The few times they get caught (e.g by a conductor/ticket inspector) they immediately offer a plausible excuse for complete lack of ticket or sufficiently adequate ticket and pay the required fare. Even when having received, from some train operators on a very few occasions, a penalty fare they state that cost is still dwarfed by the running saving they make on the overall evasion.

They also seem to have got past the initial self shame and now openly adopt a 'you gotta do what you gotta do' and 'f*ck em!' attitude. Was cut down mid-counter argument re: arguing for them engaging the political process, i.e. write to your MP, etc. with the retort/laugh, "What? the same people who get their own travel expenses to and from work paid for? and likely have no clue what a commuter ticket costs?". Difficult to argue back at that!

My first reaction, unlike most typically kneejerk 'hang em high' indignant Torygraph readers, is that when people like this start to do this sort of thing then it is just another damning anecdotal of how difficult things are becoming for the masses.

Hearing such revelations is very depressing and foreboding. I remain convinced that, if the status quo remains, the productive wealth generating economy will effectively implode in the not too distant future - as the 'dog eat dog' and 'every man for himself' attitude crosses a critical threshold. I also expect to see the incidence of organised break-ins at supermarkets increase significantly - resulting in them being guarded like fortresses. But that's another story.

Of course our MPs will only be able to come up with superficial 'solutions' that will be anything but, and merely serve to exacerbate the underlying causes of such behaviour.

'Help to Travel' perchance? Shared ownership season tickets? The possibilities are endless - at least in the fantasy world of Westminster,

Edited by anonguest

Why do the rail fares keep going up when the cost of fuel is falling?......why, when you have got so many paying customers sitting in one vehicle with one paid driver is a more expensive journey than a car journey even taking into consideration wear and tear, tax and outlay, and you have still got the cost and inconvenience of getting to and from stations, start and end of journey.......rail travel logically should be half the cost of driving when it is clearly not even for one passenger.....two or more ....therefore it is a total rip off for the fare paying passenger imo.

For 21st century work patterns including working from home then a season ticket carnet book which would be valid for say 3 months and allows 20 journeys in that time would be a palatable way of guaranteeing income fore the train companies but also make commuting affordable on an irregular basis

For 21st century work patterns including working from home then a season ticket carnet book which would be valid for say 3 months and allows 20 journeys in that time would be a palatable way of guaranteeing income fore the train companies but also make commuting affordable on an irregular basis

The train companies aren't bothered about "guaranteeing income", they've got passengers coming out of their ears thanks to HPI forcing people to live further and further from work. They're quite happy for people who don't travel every day to cough up the full fare.