House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Mrpin's New Job

Should start on 14 December. I will have no more anger inducing visits to the Job Centre. Let's hope the new company has plenty of customers, since the Oil & Gas business went spectaculrly dud on me. :blink:

Yay! No more daytime TV, rollies and cheap meat pies for the Pin.

And I'll spend less time here. MrPin doesn't skimp on food, and has plenty of flims, so doesn't watch live television much.

I just hate the Job Centre. When did it become like this? For those of you old enough, you used to just take the UB40, sign your name, and the Giro arrived in the post. All the jobs on the notice board were crap.

And I'll spend less time here. MrPin doesn't skimp on food, and has plenty of flims, so doesn't watch live television much.

I just hate the Job Centre. When did it become like this? For those of you old enough, you used to just take the UB40, sign your name, and the Giro arrived in the post. All the jobs on the notice board were crap.

There has been a long and steady process to make it increasingly unpleasant for claimants and staff alike. As it's a numbers game that this means that as well as targeting the skivers and scum it also seriously upsets the decent people who go there having lost their jobs and find themselves treated like dirt seems not to matter; if anything it's a plus as it will deter them from signing on unless they are absolutely desperate so the headline numbers fall. To the DSS leadership all of the unemployed are skivers and scum and they order their staff to treat them as such.

I would (and have) attend(ed) out of principle and I am glad that you have done the same. You are unemployed, you are looking for work, you get JSA. Your taxes have paid for it many times over.

First track is relevant Mr Pin. 'The Day We Danced at the Dole'. The entire album is sort of Marmite.. Made back when a lot of artists didn't give a flying feck about fame and fortune, so they just made the music they wanted.

RIP Adrian Hendry.

I hate to have to tell you this but does your new job involve wearing a red uniform?

If so I don`t think it will last long.

No, I havent joined Manchester United, or the RCMP, or Butlins.

Good luck, Mr P. Hope it all goes well for you - new colleagues bowled over by your taste, erudition and wisdom!

I think that's what it was. I didn't even wear a revolving water pistol bow tie to the interview. I also didn't throw my excrement at the interviewers. This went down well. :unsure:

Congratulations.

TMT. I hate looking for work. It's so time consuming, and I reckon quite a number of the "advertised" jobs do not exist! It's just a matter of time, but you never know how long. My last 3 "staff" positions ended in redundancy, but here I go again. Sometimes I think contract work is more honest. Still it's local, a 25 minute drive! ^_^

TMT. I hate looking for work. It's so time consuming, and I reckon quite a number of the "advertised" jobs do not exist! It's just a matter of time, but you never know how long. My last 3 "staff" positions ended in redundancy, but here I go again. Sometimes I think contract work is more honest. Still it's local, a 25 minute drive! ^_^

I am surrounded by people in Swansea who basically started in the public sector in Swansea when they left school - local Council, local colleges, DVLA, NHS, Land Registry - and if they landed that job just prior to Thatcher coming into office most of them have sailed through their working lives.

Bought a house at the right time. Have a nice public sector pension waiting. They moan about office politics and get upset if their work office moves half a mile away from where it has been for the last 30 years. Their daily commute is less than 5 miles.

Then you have people who can literally be a year or two younger... who left school or college a few years into Thatcher's Britain... and their working lives have been hellish... Intermitten. Often travelling long distances. Missed the house buying. Have no pension to speak off.

The former think they are superior to the latter but have no understanding of there but for the grace of God....

They don't exist. Its fishing for CVs by agencies for when something does exist. I remember job hunting, seeing the same jobs come up every week, taken down, re-posted, the exact same listing posted across several areas so it appears in more categories. You soon learn the game. Good luck in your new job!

Aye, I left Uni in Thatcher's Britain, and we were all sitting round waiting for jobs. Even some of those who thought they had a job lined up, were sometimes just given a cheque for a few hundred quid, and told there isn't a job now! :blink:

They don't exist. Its fishing for CVs by agencies for when something does exist. I remember job hunting, seeing the same jobs come up every week, taken down, re-posted, the exact same listing posted across several areas so it appears in more categories. You soon learn the game. Good luck in your new job!

Indeed the same "urgent" position can pop up again after a few months. Good luck is all you need! ^_^

Indeed the same "urgent" position can pop up again after a few months. Good luck is all you need! ^_^

I suspect many don't appreciate how much luck is actually required, especially when you are dealing with over inflated requirements and applicants happy to stretch their quals to fit.

It is only when the chips are down that sensible/pragmatic decisions are made.

I suspect many don't appreciate how much luck is actually required, especially when you are dealing with over inflated requirements and applicants happy to stretch their quals to fit.

We have seen that! I have seen the "impossible" tick list job spec, which tends to attract the "unfeasable" candidate". :blink:

Good luck in the new role, MrPin!!

Personally I would hate to start a new job right at the end of the year but I guess that's extra money in the bank. :)

Haven't had to set foot in the Job Centre for 5 years, thank heavens. The last time was really soul crushing indeed. Now been in my public sector role (sorry guys!) at an NHS hospital trust for over 3 years and intend to remain there for many years to come.

I have been lucky. I appreciate it. ****** knows what happens when it dries up.

I shall do a Pin and post on here are 4.30am and charge big burds to watch.

I'll come clean.

I got pissed off with the corporate environment around 1995, left in 1998. Should have chased careers but went alone. Amazing watching first the dot com bust from the inside and then various careers after that. First full time employment earlier this year and ditched it as was worse than every assignment I had in between - no matter what the end rate of pay.

What have I learnt?

1) You are worth what somebody is willing to pay you

2 a) That varies remarkably based on their perception of you,.

2 B) That various remarkably based on the sector you are working in.

2 c) That varies remarkably on the state of that sector at that particular time.

2 d) Nothing says the same for long, especially the "hot sectors"

Conclusion - be well trained in the right thing at the right time,

I am surrounded by people in Swansea who basically started in the public sector in Swansea when they left school - local Council, local colleges, DVLA, NHS, Land Registry - and if they landed that job just prior to Thatcher coming into office most of them have sailed through their working lives.

Bought a house at the right time. Have a nice public sector pension waiting. They moan about office politics and get upset if their work office moves half a mile away from where it has been for the last 30 years. Their daily commute is less than 5 miles.

What a boring life, I'd kill myself out of boredom if my life was like that... :wacko:

The longest I have stayed in a job was 3 years and the longest I have lived in the same country (not counting my childhood) was 8 years. I'm in country nr. 4 now and I doubt it will be the last one.

What a boring life, I'd kill myself out of boredom if my life was like that... :wacko:

The longest I have stayed in a job was 3 years and the longest I have lived in the same country (not counting my childhood) was 8 years. I'm in country nr. 4 now and I doubt it will be the last one.

Nowadays you can stay here and watch it change around you!

Lots of people are boring and, if they get through the working week, they have great countryside nearby for outdoor activities. I know what you mean though.