House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Tyson Fury Should Be Dropped From Bbc Sports Personality Of The Year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sports-personality-of-the-year/12032967/BBC-urged-to-drop-Tyson-Fury-from-SPOTY-shortlist-over-homophobic-and-misogynist-comments.html

The BBC has been urged to drop the boxer Tyson Fury from its Sports Personality of the Year shortlist after he made a series of sexist comments about fellow contender Jessica Ennis-Hill and women in general.

Fury, already at the centre of a row over his homophobia, said heptathlete Ennis-Hill “looks quite fit when she’s got a dress on” and suggested “a woman’s best place is in the kitchen or on her back”.

The newly-crowned world heavyweight boxing champion is one of the favourites to win the Sports Personality award and could end up sharing the podium with Ennis-Hill, the reigning Olympic and world heptathlon champion.

The Sports Personality of the Year awards show is broadcast live on BBC1 on December 20. Insiders said Fury will be briefed on what he can and cannot say when he is interviewed.

Fury was asked his views on women in sport, such as Ennis-Hill.

He replied: “That’s the runner, isn’t it? She’s good, she’s won quite a few medals, she slaps up good as well. When she’s got a dress on she looks quite fit.”

Asked about women in boxing, he said: “I think they’re very nice when they’re walking around that ring, holding them cards. I like them actually. They give me inspiration when I’m tired.”

Pressed on what he thought of female boxers, he went on: “I’m all for it. I’m not sexist. I believe a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back. That’s my personal belief. Making me a good cup of tea, that’s what I believe.”

Fury has been married for seven years to his wife Paris, and has two children, Venezuela and Prince. He said of his wife: “Sometimes she needs an upper cut, but other times she doesn’t.”

Mouthy boxer who needs to sell tickets and being outspoken and provocative is how you do it. Some will love it and want to see you win, others will want to see someone knock you out. Win win.

Not sure if he's just someone on the wind up, but he's certainly getting a lot of attention for his views.

I disagree with quite a lot, well most tbh, of what he says but I like that he comes out with his honest views which he's perfectly entitled to hold; it's a refreshing change from the usual approach of celebs which is to pick any one from an acceptable range of views.

So he should be deselected from SPOTY because he holds opinions different to the orthodoxy? Right....

Not that I ever vote for any of these but he'd got my vote now because of the PC mob going into their usual feeding frenzy.

He is clearly a bit of a dick. But a dick with a personality. How ironic if he gets kicked of a show looking for personality of the year - because he has a personality.

This is the UK in 2015 - so its the likely outcome.

His other quote is even more controversial:

He said: “There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home: one of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other one’s paedophilia.”

These days the orthodox view is:

Homosexuality - perfectly acceptable

Abortion - perfectly acceptable

Paedophilia - evil

Whereas sixty years ago the orthodox view was:

Homosexuality - evil

Abortion - evil

Paedophilia - evil

So he's a man out of time. There aren't absolutes on this, he can think what he wants in our "free"* society.

* you can hold views as long as they are within a pre-approved listing of acceptable opinions

He is clearly a bit of a dick. But a dick with a personality. How ironic if he gets kicked of a show looking for personality of the year - because he has a personality.

Usually not having a personality is the main qualification to win the award.

Usually not having a personality is the main qualification to win the award.

Indeed; I have always felt that it was misnamed.

It should be Sporting Achievement of The Year as that's what people actually vote for.

I've followed Tyson since his debut (I was at Froch V Pascale, which incidentally I think is 8 years ago to the day), he's always been massively under-rated as a fghter and massively misunderstood as a personality. What pisses me off is that he's not being allowed to enjoy his victory. He's got people who've never watched a minute of boxing in their lives claiming it was a terrible fight, the press vilifying him and the organisations trying to take his titles. When really he's a sportsman who we should be very proud of. I think he's right when he talks about racism against Gypsies.

I've followed Tyson since his debut (I was at Froch V Pascale, which incidentally I think is 8 years ago to the day), he's always been massively under-rated as a fghter and massively misunderstood as a personality. What pisses me off is that he's not being allowed to enjoy his victory. He's got people who've never watched a minute of boxing in their lives claiming it was a terrible fight, the press vilifying him and the organisations trying to take his titles. When really he's a sportsman who we should be very proud of. I think he's right when he talks about racism against Gypsies.

I've seen ?three of his fights going back over ?three years because Ch 5 showed some of them. He's always struck me as a typical big lumbering heavyweight like Larry Holmes, that is to say he may be technically good but he's dull to watch. Good evenly-matched heavyweights tend to cancel each other out.

His build up to the fight, and his dad afterwards, were both embarrassing.

The only fighters that the public (and I include myself in that) really take to are the ones who are exciting to watch: Mike Tyson, David Haye.

Tyson Fury is in that Lennox Lewis camp - sure he's a good boxer, but he's boring to watch.

I listened to a painful to listen interview that Nicky Campbell had with him this week - I thought it was mainly just a poor interview as Campbell started down a, IMPO, silly route about how pleased he must be to be nominated for BBC SPOTY within hours of the guy winning the world championship.

The interview got more and more painful to listen to but, by the end of it, I decided that I did not like this guy.

Yes, he is outspoken and it is easy to think it is refreshing to hear 'honest' views in a world of BBC blandness but I didn't like what he had to say. Having said that though, I can imagine myself getting cheesed of if I had just won a world championship and some BBC presenter was forcussing on some naff BBC TV 'award' show.

Not sure which fights you saw Frank but he's definitely not a plodder. I think Firtha, Rogan and Pajkic were C5, which were pretty much transitional fights for him. His punch output is about twice the heavyweight average and Steve Cunningham described it as 'like fighting 2 men'.

Interesting comparing him to David Haye who had an abysmal heavyweight career. At this stage Fury would do Haye within 5 rounds, it's a mismatch. 5 years ago it would have been a different story though.

One thing I do agree with you on is that they did cancel each other a little last week. Fury went over there to steal the belts and that's exactly what he did. You can't go in all guns blazing against such a respected opponent. F

Not sure which fights you saw Frank but he's definitely not a plodder. I think Firtha, Rogan and Pajkic were C5, which were pretty much transitional fights for him. His punch output is about twice the heavyweight average and Steve Cunningham described it as 'like fighting 2 men'.

Interesting comparing him to David Haye who had an abysmal heavyweight career. At this stage Fury would do Haye within 5 rounds, it's a mismatch. 5 years ago it would have been a different story though.

One thing I do agree with you on is that they did cancel each other a little last week. Fury went over there to steal the belts and that's exactly what he did. You can't go in all guns blazing against such a respected opponent. F

As I said Mr Out, I watch as a member of the public with no real technical appreciation and like the boxers who go in all guns blazing. If it's on I will choose to watch middleweight or lighter because the fights are more, well, fights!

In Haye's defence he's a small bloke for a heavyweight.

Haye successfully defended the WBA title twice and lost to Klitschko - that is not an abysmal heavyweight career

Fury is a bum

Haye successfully defended the WBA title twice and lost to Klitschko - that is not an abysmal heavyweight career

Fury is a bum

Troll :) I ain't biting. Not until I've had a drink anyway :)

I'm not trolling

I was frankly amazed at how lacklustre Klitschko was - get Fury to the states and see what happens

He went to the states. Knocked out Cunningham, first and only time it's ever happened. More interesting fight than it's given credit for in the context of finding out about Fury's ability. Cunningham thought he was going to do what Haye did to Valuev and as I said earlier came away proclaiming that fighting Fury is like fighting two men. For all the talk before that fight they also ended up as good friends. Which tells you something else.

In any case - what exactly is in the states? Wilder? Don't make me laugh. All the big challenges in heavyweight boxing are in Europe.

Other thing - if you're not trolling about Fury being a bum then you reveal yourself to be the worst kind of boxing 'fan'- the casual. No serious fan of the sport would be so casually disrespectful about a unified world champion.

He went to the states. Knocked out Cunningham, first and only time it's ever happened. More interesting fight than it's given credit for in the context of finding out about Fury's ability. Cunningham thought he was going to do what Haye did to Valuev and as I said earlier came away proclaiming that fighting Fury is like fighting two men. For all the talk before that fight they also ended up as good friends. Which tells you something else.

In any case - what exactly is in the states? Wilder? Don't make me laugh. All the big challenges in heavyweight boxing are in Europe.

Cunningham was little more than a cruiserweight journeyman who Fury fought when he was aged 37 with a 25 and 5 record with just 13 ko's.

Genuine question - why do you dismiss Wilder?

Cunningham was little more than a cruiserweight journeyman who Fury fought when he was aged 37 with a 25 and 5 record with just 13 ko's.

Genuine question - why do you dismiss Wilder?

Because he's an awful boxer who has only ever beaten club level fighters and gatekeepers. And looked awful doing it. Seriously, he hasn't got anywhere near Fury's level yet. Only the casuals think he has. And don't quote records at me with one breath, then claim Haye's heavyweight career wasn't abysmal with another. It's nonsense.

Because he's an awful boxer who has only ever beaten club level fighters and gatekeepers. And looked awful doing it. Seriously, he hasn't got anywhere near Fury's level yet. Only the casuals think he has. And don't quote records at me with one breath, then claim Haye's heavyweight career wasn't abysmal with another. It's nonsense.

Haye was fine as a shortlived heavyweight (if a little undersized) and Cunningham's record was seriously mediocre and the records show it - Haye was beaten by Klitschko (no shame in that)

If you think Fury is a good boxer, we'll just have to agree to disagree