House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

The Detectorists

I'm going to have withdrawal symptoms now, but that's the only Christmas Special I will be gutted to miss.

The object Lance found looks similar to the Alfred Jewel, in the Ashmolean museum in Oxford. I've been to see that not long ago, though first read about it aeons ago, in a Ladybird book about Alfred the Great.

I keep hearing good things about this; I may have to succumb.

Excellent series. Definitely seek out the first series - try to watch it first. It is quite a slow comedy (in a good way) - can imagine lots of people might give up within the first 5 minutes... worth persevering.

[Talk about slow comedy though - there is one gag (Varde) where they wait 10 episodes to throw the punchline... Similarly they wait 11 episodes to tell us that the real names of "Simon and Garfunkel" are "Peters and Lee"...]

Both series have been great. Particularly love the banal chats that Lance and Andy have whilst detectoring. Nicely written in a low-key style, no big 'gags', but still manages to be very funny.

The other comedy that has taken me by surprise recently has been Catastrophe on Channel 4. Very different but also well written and funny.

Both series have been great. Particularly love the banal chats that Lance and Andy have whilst detectoring. Nicely written in a low-key style, no big 'gags', but still manages to be very funny.

The other comedy that has taken me by surprise recently has been Catastrophe on Channel 4. Very different but also well written and funny.

Check out "Pulling" by the same writer. Sharon Horgan. Also very good.

Also currently finding Toast of London on CH4 straight after, quite funny too.

Excellent series. Definitely seek out the first series - try to watch it first. It is quite a slow comedy (in a good way) - can imagine lots of people might give up within the first 5 minutes... worth persevering.

[Talk about slow comedy though - there is one gag (Varde) where they wait 10 episodes to throw the punchline... Similarly they wait 11 episodes to tell us that the real names of "Simon and Garfunkel" are "Peters and Lee"...]

I was v glad to find the first series on American Amazon - have sent it to my sister in the US for Christmas. I know she'll really enjoy something so gently quirky and so very English, in the nicest possible (I.e. far removed from anything Downton-ish) way.

Forgot to mention how much I love the folky theme music too! Never heard of this musician, is he well known?

EDIT: Just seen he's a 32 yr old singer songwriter/comedy actor, sounds like he should be older than that!

Forgot to mention how much I love the folky theme music too! Never heard of this musician, is he well known?

EDIT: Just seen he's a 32 yr old singer songwriter/comedy actor, sounds like he should be older than that!

He's the guy singing in the pub open-mic in series 1.

Toby Jones and Rachel Stirling are in a show on Bbc called Capital. Not a comedy but quite good and seems to be based on London house prices, immigrants and the such.

Check out "Pulling" by the same writer. Sharon Horgan. Also very good.

Also currently finding Toast of London on CH4 straight after, quite funny too.

I can hear you Clem Fandango

I can hear you Clem Fandango

Finding this series to be less laugh-out-loud funny. The characters are still great though.

It's out on DVD. Might be tempted, when I've finished the "A Team".