House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Work Shirts

My work wardrobe is looking a bit dog eared.. I could definitely do with some new shirts.

Usually I just go into M&S and buy a random selection but this time I'm looking at a few of the online brands, does anyone have any experience of these?

I was thinking of Charles Tyrwhitt or Hawes and Curtis.

Anyone tried these?

I'm looking for something with reasonable weight/quality material, long sleeves and a pocket.

That's about my only criteria other than not spending more than about £30-£50 per shirt.

Any good ideas / experiences?

I know it sounds extravagant but Ralph Lauren Oxford shirts are the best I have ever owned, I have a few over ten years old and they still look and wear well.

If you keep an eye out for the sales you can get quite a bargain.

I have a couple of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, one destroyed itself in the washing machine when it was new but they don't fit me as well as the Ralph Lauren ones so don't get worn nearly enough.

Charles Tyrwhitt are very good quality. If you sign up to their newsletter they will make you go nuts with their special offer emails.

However, every so often they do some wicked deals - buy one, get one free kind of thing - and those deals sell out within an hour or so. Keep an eye on hotukdeals and set up an alert to your phone for Charles Tyrwhitt.

TM Lewin shirts are a better fit for slimmer frames and Charles Tyrwhitt are cut for the bigger boned people amongst us. I wouldn't buy a supermarket shirt (and tie set) never :D

They also do good slim fit shirts. You can't beat them for value.

For something more expensive and better quality, Pink are very good.

I have walked all the way to my wardrobe to see the make of my really nice shirts; they are both Tyrwhitt and worth every penny.

I've let this slide a bit these days with supermarket work shirts but used to be really into it when I worked in the City. An expensive shirt looks and feels great (as does an expensive suit).

I think you've tipped into upgrading my wardrobe; why shouldn't I look great again!

Thanks all.. very interesting replies.

CT are looking favourites, anything much more expensive than that would probably be wasted on me and by the sound of it they strike the right balance.

Below the belt I know...

Still attracting the women but I have allowed ease to overtake appearance. Eight pound shirts and even allowing those to get shabby, no tie. Must do better.

I only buy tm lewin as got first ones years ago and always do well.

Good to get choice of neck and arm length - as I have a fair size neck and fairly short arms.I assume tyrwhitt do the same ?

As said - if slimmer fit - tm lewin do some really nice fitted ones. Only works if you fairly slim though.

'Luxury' ones are a bit more but definitely worth it. Much thicker material.

I tend to buy shirts in sales. You can get some nice ones, but they are end of line, and usually purple stripes, with "cufflink" sleeves. Must have a pocket! :wacko: . I think I will have a shopping trip soon. Like Mr XYY, sometimes the "work shirt" is a sweatshirt with the company logo on it! :huh:

Still attracting the women but I have allowed ease to overtake appearance. Eight pound shirts and even allowing those to get shabby, no tie. Must do better.

I can't be bothered with ones that need ironing!

I can't be bothered with ones that need ironing!

I don't iron - just hang up straight after washing - on a hanger with buttons done up.

The thickness makes a big difference in this. I assume the added weight of a thicker shirt - pulls down on the shirt whilst hanging up and drying - and eases out creases as it goes.

They certainly dry out smoother than the thinner shirts I have.

I find Moss Bros to be good.

They're good for me as I need shirts with longer sleeves, and they have a decent range of them.

They're one of those annoying retailers that always seems to have an offer on, different types of multibuy etc. So you need to watch out for that.

Just looked at some of the CT shirts on amazon as pretty much anytime I buy anything I get a voucher included for them. Why are work shirts always so huge at the waist - I can understand they have to be tucked in so need a little more than your trouser size but even the smallest slim fit would probably be a good 8-10 inches more at the waist than the actual waist measurement of who's wearing it. I think work wear is crap attire from an appearance point of view, makes you look like a tent, more than likely devised by fat rich bastards to hide the fact they're fat but not rich (and bastards)!

I also buy Thomas Pink but only in the sales - outrageously overpriced outside sale time. They have annoyed me recently by sneaking "slim fit" ones in there, and I am, er, not slim. I may try CT next.

It's been a decade since I did the full suit, shirt, tie, and cufflinks rig. I used to be quite attentive to the whole young thruster look. In part, I may have been overcompensating for cycling to work - which back then was seen as, frankly, a bit odd.

But I went on suit-strike and haven't looked back. Cords and any old shirt for me now - no tie.

I also buy Thomas Pink but only in the sales - outrageously overpriced outside sale time. They have annoyed me recently by sneaking "slim fit" ones in there, and I am, er, not slim. I may try CT next.

Pink shirts can be really variable in quality. Some have great material and look good after several years, well worth the price. Others look threadbare after two washings and are a complete rip off.

Tyrwhitt, or however you spell it, seem to be making the best shirts for good value right now. They don't always last that long (start looking a little ragged around the edges after a year) but they look very professional when newer and don't cost all that much.

I find it that shirts are one of those things it makes sense to buy in person. Shirt makers are always changing fabrics and the cut of the shirt, and you can only really tell what you're buying if you can actually see it.