House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toadoftoadhall

This One Or This One?

I would buy a bottled gas heater and use that rather than an electric heater - although you may have good safety reasons to opt for the electric version.

I have found electric heaters expensive to run and they lose their heat within minutes of switching off.

Bottled gas needs good ventilation, and makes a lot of condensation.

Electric blanket, my friend. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, and doesn't make your bedroom stuffy.

Even better, buy one for the sofa.

Electric blanket, my friend. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, and doesn't make your bedroom stuffy.

Obviously don't become incontinent when plugged in. I'm sure you can get low voltage ones running on a safe voltage through a transformer. Alternatively, get a hot wife! :blink:

Neither. Far too expensive and the spiel is full of BS. All electric heaters are 100% efficient at turning electrical energy into heat. Just get a small halogen heater if radiant heat is what you want.

Thanks for your opinions. Although I'm wondering how good an Infrared panel would be at providing ambient heat?

They have their limitations (the halogen heaters are the same principle). Imagine the heat as light emanating from the panel. They only warm what they illuminate. They won't help much if you are actually in bed. A thicker quilt and better loft insulation would be better. It's fine if they are 'shining' on you but otherwise, you need more power from a convection heater or fan heater.

Good idea....an electric blanket throw.... ;)

If you are going portable - don't buy halogen or fan heaters, you'll be be shocked at the quarterly bill. We tried one, and the bill was £300 more than the last year.

A oil filled one is better as they consume less watts, and they can drop down a few notches, and the oil is kept hot for a while, saving energy. Fan/halogen get cold immediately once they are turned off.

DXOFX750.JPG

Something like this - we have 2 of these that are rated at 750W, and we only put them on a couple hours at a time at half power. They appear to last forever, one is over ten years old, and the other 5 years old, still going strong.

376834.jpg

^Also don't buy the convection ones. The element goes far too quickly, and that's your money gone.

We have a thread each year on this - if you are really skint, try a couple of 2L fizzy drinks bottles in the bed with hot water from the tap. They last a lot longer than hot water bottles. Also you could stick a tent in the bedroom.

indoor-tents2-550x412.jpg

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/south-koreans-use-bedroom-tents-to-keep-warm-this-winter.html

I also have a sleeping bag on standby, in case we need to go full Ray Mears sub zero.

I like the oil filled radiators. Yes, they don't usually break, but are quite low powered. Ideal for keeping the chill off if you go away in Winter. Gas always makes fumes, so you will fill your room up with CO2, and then the thing cuts off, for safety reasons.