House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

"kill The Mortgage" Talk By Vinay Gupta The Hexayurt Inventor

There's some scary stuff there in relation to the global mountain to climb. ie Us avg uses 8 x planets resources & eu 4 x

The Wikipedia type hive mind / self organising system held up as one small ray of light

I think what he said about hacking the system is the future. I have often wondered if it is possible to hack the housing system when you have a political system run in the interests of the rich and powerful. I hope we will see a workable "hack" of housing in the same way that Uber has hacked the taxi system and Bitcoin has hacked the money system. The problem is how do you do that with land (as the guy asked in the conference)? But very cool guy nevertheless and I hope we hear more from him!

They could solve part of the UK housing problem with Hexayurts located around the perimeter of London - mind you they would be the tiniest Hexayurts in the world.

Thanks for the video link. Very interesting. Most thoughtful point for me was the fact that many more 3rd peoples will be getting online and getting a far larger view of the world. Change is coming, one way or another. It is just a matter of time scales.

It's not clear what percentage of the population already have smartphones in places like India but apparently those that are on sale there are often more upto date, offer more choice with more options and alternatives than available in the UK. The UK only gets a similar choice after many months delay - if at all.

The idea that somehow the UK is far more technically advanced than places like India gets more and more redundant with every passing day.

It sort of ties in with Gupta's view that everything in the UK has been dumped for ever more crazy house prices.

Edited by billybong

I can say from extremely recent experience that india is seemingly considerably ahead on tech releases, and to an extent tech adoption in general than the uk, certainly in a city like mumbai. The people there are gadget addicts, and arguably utilize them more fully than the average uk iSheep, who can barely comprehend iOS, let alone a rooted android device or a linux desktop. For all the dissing of indian workers that goes on in the uk, i find the average person there certainly more in tune to economic reality than here. The education in maths and sciences has always been streets ahead. My own parents were doing what would be uni level maths today at gcse level.

In terms in releases, india got the two recent nexus phones - the 5x and the 6p first - and also the galaxy note 5 and sony z5 premium were available everywhere. The note isn't being released here until next year, if at all.

Another astonishing thing for me at least was using google maps as a sat nav in mumbai vs london. Because of the extremely high uptake, the crowd sourcing of data from everyones device made traffic updates incredibly accurate - i was telling taxi drivers where to go to avoid the next jam, and seeing visually deep red change to red, to yellow to green in real time completely coherently, compared to london where its dubious and slow on the uptake at best in my experience.

The advantage of going straight to the latest kit/infrastructure vs building on all our slow existing infra here is not lost on indian companies.

Edited by Frugal Git