House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Living In London Is A Judgement Call Says Housing Minister

Londoners had to make a “judgment call” about whether they could afford to live in the capital.

The MP said the Government had to be “up front” about the thousands of people unable to afford soaring rents and house prices in central London. However, he said plans to build 200,000 new starter homes and boost the Help to Buy loan scheme were a “game-changer”. Mr Lewis defended the Autumn Statement’s focus on buyers, even though thousands of Londoners will never be able to afford their own home. He said the housing benefit cap for social tenants — which critics say will increase hardship and drive more people out of the capital — was “logical” and about ensuring people paid their “fair share”.

If people want to live and work in and around London it’s actually making a judgment call about what you can afford and where is right for you.

Edited by rollover

We can't really afford to keep government offices and debating chambers in a palace in central london either. Taxpayers should be afforded that judgement call.

We can't really afford to keep government offices and debating chambers in a palace in central london either. Taxpayers should be afforded that judgement call.

Or MP's 'second homes'.

If people want to live and work in and around London it’s actually making a judgment call about what you can afford and where is right for you.

Such inescapable logic - no wonder he's the housing minister.

It would have been helpful if he'd explained how London's criminally insane house prices (and elsewhere) could possibly be of benefit to the UK's general economy.

+1

Well in a way the Tories caused this problem by pumping money into London to redevelop the east end in the 1980s. Prior to that they were far happier supporting companies moving out of London, if they'd continued with that we probably wouldn't be in the mess we are today.

Well in a way the Tories caused this problem by pumping money into London to redevelop the east end in the 1980s. Prior to that they were far happier supporting companies moving out of London, if they'd continued with that we probably wouldn't be in the mess we are today.

Yeah, economic development... Who needs it?

Londoners had to make a “judgment call” about whether they could afford to live in the capital.

The MP said the Government had to be “up front” about the thousands of people unable to afford soaring rents and house prices in central London. However, he said plans to build 200,000 new starter homes and boost the Help to Buy loan scheme were a “game-changer”. Mr Lewis defended the Autumn Statement’s focus on buyers, even though thousands of Londoners will never be able to afford their own home. He said the housing benefit cap for social tenants — which critics say will increase hardship and drive more people out of the capital — was “logical” and about ensuring people paid their “fair share”.

..what a provincial attitude...all UK citizens have to make this call ...!....and of course the alternatives as most can see are more attractive..... :rolleyes:

..Westminster is crumbling...move Government out ...leave London to the tourists.... :rolleyes:

..Westminster is crumbling...move Government out ...leave London to the tourists.... :rolleyes:

Other states have their government and administrative in places other than their largest cities / commercial centres - Turkey, Brazil, Australia, the USA.

Somewhere between 40%-50% of London's population relies on HB for all or a major part of their cost.

A very large percentage of that number are not even UK born FFS!

Max HB, based on 50% of mean net UK wage.

Other states have their government and administrative in places other than their largest cities / commercial centres - Turkey, Brazil, Australia, the USA.

Germany is a good example of diversification.

Somewhere between 40%-50% of London's population relies on HB for all or a major part of their cost.

The figure for all should be zero. No one should be paid to live in London whilst millions commute in each day.

BTW I don't mind Parliament moving ideally near Dewsbury to encourage terrorists not to attack the underground next time.

Not only that but both rich private corporate companies including the public sector not only rely on benefits, but also on the parents and or families that provide a cheap or free home near to the place of work so that they can pay rubbish wages......landlords as well as wealthy employers rely on people that are prepared to receive rubbish wages and live in HMO cramped conditions so that they can become ever wealthier........so the already have lots can get more and the not so lots are and will forever be playing catch-up. ;)

Buyers need an average deposit of £179,248

The average down-payment for a house in London rose five per cent in October compared with September, according to new figures released by a mortgage broker today. Prospective London home buyers need to scrape together an average £179,248 for their deposit, the Mortgage Advice Bureau (MAB) said. The second biggest deposits are in the South East at £110,782.

George Osborne’s Autumn Statement hammered home the government’s support for homeownership, with several policies aiming to improve both the supply and affordability of homes.

Not only that but both rich private corporate companies including the public sector not only rely on benefits, but also on the parents and or families that provide a cheap or free home near to the place of work so that they can pay rubbish wages......landlords as well as wealthy employers rely on people that are prepared to receive rubbish wages and live in HMO cramped conditions so that they can become ever wealthier........so the already have lots can get more and the not so lots are and will forever be playing catch-up. ;)

Are you sure that is true? Have you ever done economic modelling to prove that? If the 10-15% of the population of London that don't work, were to leave and rents and prices were to crash then surely companies would have a good excuse not to raise wages for years.

BTW I don't know either way. I suspect some companies would lose and some gain.

Are you sure that is true? Have you ever done economic modelling to prove that? If the 10-15% of the population of London that don't work, were to leave and rents and prices were to crash then surely companies would have a good excuse not to raise wages for years.

BTW I don't know either way. I suspect some companies would lose and some gain.

Firstly to dispel the myth that living in London is expensive.....in fact living in London in a debt free home a paid for home is living in one of the cheapest places in the UK....council and water is amongst the cheapest in the country...band rating equivalent..... Look up D band CT for Westminster council.

At a guess easily 10% of the population anywhere are not in paid work....that doesn't mean they are not working, many are carers and childminders, housekeepers etc always have been....others are too ill both physically and or mentally for an employer to pay them..... others are in institutions such a jail.

Many thousands as already said can only work in London because they have a base in London where London rents or mortgages do not form part of their monthly fixed costs.......employers exploit this....how else do you think they can get such cheap labour?

Firstly to dispel the myth that living in London is expensive.....in fact living in London in a debt free home a paid for home is living in one of the cheapest places in the UK....council and water is amongst the cheapest in the country...band rating equivalent..... Look up D band CT for Westminster council.

At a guess easily 10% of the population anywhere are not in paid work....that doesn't mean they are not working, many are carers and childminders, housekeepers etc always have been....others are too ill both physically and or mentally for an employer to pay them..... others are in institutions such a jail.

Many thousands as already said can only work in London because they have a base in London where London rents or mortgages do not form part of their monthly fixed costs.......employers exploit this....how else do you think they can get such cheap labour?

Is this a yes or no to my question "Have you ever done economic modelling to prove that?"? I guess no but it is so hard to say. BTW some london prisons are/have closed down to become housing.

Is this a yes or no to my question "Have you ever done economic modelling to prove that?"? I guess no but it is so hard to say. BTW some london prisons are/have closed down to become housing.

No I am not an economist....never in my entire life have I had a lesson in economics apart from home economics......all I do know is that thousands of younger Londoners stay living with parents, family or friends because if they want to continue to work there that is what they are forced to do.....yes, Holloway is becoming housing......still pack 'em in pile them high.....that is the name of the game......choices? ;)

No I am not an economist....never in my entire life have I had a lesson in economics apart from home economics......all I do know is that thousands of younger Londoners stay living with parents, family or friends because if they want to continue to work there that is what they are forced to do.....yes, Holloway is becoming housing......still pack 'em in pile them high.....that is the name of the game......choices? ;)

So you have no idea if companies benefit from housing benefit making prices higher or not.

BTW it is not just younger Londoners who have to live at home I know someone who is 43. Of course the solution is simple stop paying others who don't work in London to live there, reduce transaction costs and build more homes