House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Bill Gates And Clean Energy

http://www.gatesnotes.com/Energy/Investing-in-Energy-Innovation?WT.mc_id=11_30_2015_09_EnergyRD_BG-LI_&WT.tsrc=BGLI

The world is going to be using 50 percent more energy by mid-century than it does today.

I wonder what percentage of that is due to the every energy hungry demands of computers his OS needs?

And how much waste has been created by having to upgrade computers to run the latest OS?

I wonder what percentage of that is due to the every energy hungry demands of computers his OS needs?

Computers are getting more energy efficient all of the time.

http://www.gatesnotes.com/Energy/Investing-in-Energy-Innovation?WT.mc_id=11_30_2015_09_EnergyRD_BG-LI_&WT.tsrc=BGLI

The world is going to be using 50 percent more energy by mid-century than it does today.

And how much waste has been created by having to upgrade computers to run the latest OS?

An interesting observation made on denningers blog is that your mobile phone OS, is, at any one time, running 20-30 applications in the background gathering data on your various habits, which accounts for why smart phones invariably have such crappy battery lives :blink:

I suspect the same is true of computers.

No - it is a fair point.

Life cycle analysis of computers show that most energy is consumed in production c.w. use (except for servers, but we're not talking about them).

My dad was very happy with Windows XP, and would continue to be happy with that level of performance - only Microsoft made XP end of life so that it is no longer secure (not that it ever was). Given that Windows 7 wouldn't even install on his machine, there was only the option to upgrade. Actually, I forced him to use Linux as the learning cycle was easer for that than going 7 (and definitely 8). Likewise, there are many companies for whom NT provided full functionality (ie, write docs, communicate with system servers, etc), but who had to upgrade to remain secure. Windows 10 isn't even that great (well, looks pretty, but is no more productive for me than NT).

The other problem was Intel with the Netburst architecture (P4 arch, 15 years ago) - that changed expectations regarding CPU power consumption which took years to recover from (arguably the effects are still there).

What about the embedded CO2, resources used to make the computer, and the nasty chemicals used to silicon chips? Very wasteful to have to throw away an otherwise fine computer just because the newest OS requires more and more.

I'm no fan of Apple Macs but they are becoming increasingly tempting because apparently even 7-8 year old macs can run the very latest version of OS X. I have a similar age and spec (to a macbook) Thinkpad that I had to upgrade from XP to Windows 7, which at first was OK but after multiple updates from MS is barely usable now. Yes a 7-8 year old laptop, is struggling to run a 6 year old OS.

I'm no fan of Apple Macs but they are becoming increasingly tempting because apparently even 7-8 year old macs can run the very latest version of OS X.

I suppose, but the Apple support cycle tends to be about 8 years, so that 8 year old mac will probably not be able to run OS X 10.12. And it'll cost quite a bit more than a 7 yr old PC.

Yes a 7-8 year old laptop, is struggling to run a 6 year old OS.

But probably will run the latest Linux/BSD just fine... If you can bear it.

actually there's a lot of work going into making computers more efficient.

you can get CPU's now, perfectly adequate for home surfing etc that consume about 45w, rather than 100+.

if you want super cheap, but not very powerful, then you have the "bay trail" type that are about 10w consumption.

as energy is a considerable cost for most businesses, it doesn't really come as high up the list of poriorities for mainstream office/corporates as it should- yet.

most office PC's will be either I3 or I5 processor, when they probably don't really need to be, except in special circumstances like CAD design or factory automation, where they need to run hundreds of applications per second/multiple applications similtaneously.

for a bog standard business office/clerical work that's not needed...but there is no real "middle ground" CPU that does enough to be capable at really low wattage.The "bay trail" type are not quite powerful enough for that...they need more L2 cache per core.

it's only really the gamers and their pimped-up graphics cards that's holding it back