House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Viewing Today - Not Sure Why But We Can't Stop Ourselves

Guest The_Oldie

Every bone in my body says it would be mad to buy and I won't offer any more than 90% of the asking price, somebody might bite

They may well bite at 90% of asking price, 80% would be safer ;).

Every bone in my body says it would be mad to buy and I won't offer any more than 90% of the asking price, somebody might bite

Think it's very tough if it is the "house of your dreams" or in my case "her dreams" but unless it's a one-off architectural gem with no comparable properties likely to come on the market in the next few years what have you to lose putting in a "highly realistic" initial offer? This offer reflects your best-guess of the bottom of the market.

Not sure you are entirely convinced of the bear case Terrified.

If I may ask what type of property is it?

The Fox

there's no harm in looking to remind yourself just how stupid prices are

read some of the other articles here and imagine how you would feel when you realise you could have got an equivalent property for 75% of what you payed in a year or twos time - or think about that extra bedroom you could have had for the same price but won't be able to afford for 10 years

the EAs I have spoken to recently know the market is overvalued - many are not as stupid as some believe (although some are)

TBH I didn't really want any of them, £250k for a 4 bed semi in a rubbish area.

The trouble is everything we would want is currently £100k too expensive and whilst I do want to be a BEAR I need somewhere to live for my family and moving every 9 months, which we've done three times now is also costing me a fortune, £1500 to move plus the landlords not giving back full deposits etc. It really is doing my head in.

don't you have a tree to buy, or present shopping to do, a Christmas cake to make or friends to visit???????

No, I'm a very organised mummy who has had the presents wrapped and tree up since Dec 1st.

As for friends, no sadly not but that's another post for another forum

:(

The trouble is everything we would want is currently £100k too expensive and whilst I do want to be a BEAR I need somewhere to live for my family and moving every 9 months, which we've done three times now is also costing me a fortune, £1500 to move plus the landlords not giving back full deposits etc. It really is doing my head in.

yes the reason i bought too. settled twice in great places and then landlord wanted us out to sell (they were both flat shares with friends) - b/c EA's "explained" to LL a house sells better when tenants are out.....

anyway keep looking..now is a good time...... not as many buyers about and also sellers are starting to read the stories about next yr stagnation/fall and don't know which area you are looking but some bargains to be had. i just purchased in London and got a good deal (found hard to find in London).....offer lower than you even dare....b/c some people need to sell as was my sellers case (they were going overseas and had made money over 5 yrs they owned property). they can always say no....but they may say yes, especially as you are chain free etc! i found it worked being really direct with EA and telling them the score, i.e: that you are in no rush, have nothing to sell, and ask about any vendors who NEED to sell. be surprised what some indiscreet EA's tell you. good luck.....

Edited by beenhearingthisforyears

Thats bad luck, but does not alter the fact YOU WILL be buying the market top, especially as the Liverpool market is light years behind the London market as related to in BHIFY post.

Search out the right kind of let, one that is a pro landlords long time held property. Or as is the case of ours, the owner is on a long term work commitment overseas.

My rental/ moving costs were three men and a proper removal Van fully insured £270 cash [it's cheap up north if you know your way around] plus £150 tenancy agreement and credit checks.

But remember no maintainance/replacement costs or buildings insurance. We are in our sixth month, and have had the gasman service and safety check the boiler. Had two plumber callouts to two different leaks and a faulty auto washer valve [three plumbers in total] And an aerial engineer, so I reckon we are quids in.

I'm telling you, you will beat yourself up for years to come because you have been here, know the score and you will never forget you had the chance to be ahead of the herd AND YOU BLEW, YOU BLEW IT TOTALY.

Hope that helps ;)

Thats bad luck, but does not alter the fact YOU WILL be buying the market top, especially as the Liverpool market is light years behind the London market as related to in BHIFY post.

Search out the right kind of let, one that is a pro landlords long time held property. Or as is the case of ours, the owner is on a long term work commitment overseas.

My rental/ moving costs were three men and a proper removal Van fully insured £270 cash [it's cheap up north if you know your way around] plus £150 tenancy agreement and credit checks.

But remember no maintainance/replacement costs or buildings insurance. We are in our sixth month, and have had the gasman service and safety check the boiler. Had two plumber callouts to two different leaks and a faulty auto washer valve [three plumbers in total] And an aerial engineer, so I reckon we are quids in.

I'm telling you, you will beat yourself up for years to come because you have been here, know the score and you will never forget you had the chance to be ahead of the herd AND YOU BLEW, YOU BLEW IT TOTALY.

Hope that helps ;)

Been reading lots interesting posts re Northern Uk market - i know nothing about this area - but if i was looking there i would wait......must admit the scare stories have freaked me out - especially the post about oversupply of new build flats........

the same article did say still good demand for flats in parts of london but suppose here we get all the overseas banker/city guys etc.

catch22: i think your lying about renting your home. i think you have investment property.

its a free country RFD .......word of advice though mistaking what is in your mind with actual reality will serve you no real purpose

Bloke goes to view a house on the market for £200,00....after viewing it he says to the Estate Agent...

"I'll put in an offer of £130,00"

The Estate Agent is outraged and replies

"You're having a laugh!"

The bloke retorts...

"Well *you* started it".