House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nnails

Age Discrimination In Work Place Pro Under 25

Gossip from the weekend

one of my friends works in leisure industry. He is junior manager and has to hire 70 people for the summer period.

he usually as lot regulars who come back each year. Most have winter job lined up .

this year he as been instructed to not hire more than 5 over 25s. In fact he has been told they can only be 23 when they start work so they don't have birthday in the year. This is because the minimum wage it 50p hr less.

As you can imagine he is not happy about this and some of is loyal staff are going to be in for shock when they try to get there jobs back in the spring.

Discuss

I saw an advert for a job I could apply for today. Only trouble is, they are looking for someone who is "bubbly". I have got experience coming out of my ears for that job. Years and years of experience, and good references too.

But I'm a 54 years old heterosexual male. I can't imagine anyone ever describing me as 'bubbly'.

I saw an advert for a job I could apply for today. Only trouble is, they are looking for someone who is "bubbly". I have got experience coming out of my ears for that job. Years and years of experience, and good references too.

But I'm a 54 years old heterosexual male. I can't imagine anyone ever describing me as 'bubbly'.

I loathe that word - IMO it should be banned in job ads. In any case, doesn't it almost invariably conjure up 'young and female' ?

Dictionary in fact says 'cheerful and full of high spirits' , not gender-specific. But how many men would like to be described as 'bubbly'?

This reminds me of how employers are eager to offer apprenticeships because of the pitiful wages apprentices receive. Older people don't get a look in and often these are jobs that are so straightforward and mundane that they shouldn't be under such a scheme in my opinion.

I would just go along with them and do ''bubbly'' for the interview... then once I've got the job I'd revert to being a cynical, miserable, unsociable misanthrope.

I would just go along with them and do ''bubbly'' for the interview... then once I've got the job I'd revert to being a cynical, miserable, unsociable misanthrope.

Yes, this. I can think of a couple of blokes who might be described as "bubbly" - but to be fair none of Niall's age and sexuality.

Yes, this. I can think of a couple of blokes who might be described as "bubbly" - but to be fair none of Niall's age and sexuality.

Oh, I honestly didn't realise that ''bubbly'' was code for being a friend of Dorothy.

Although they don't all fit the stereotype, I'm not sure Morrissey or Dennis Nilsen can be considered ''bubbly''

Did anyone watch that documentary about apprentices on Channel 4 yesterday?

Basically it's just a big scam, lots of companies employing people on the crappiest apprenticeships they can just to make a fast buck. Outcomes were very poor and the scheme has cost the stupid government millions of pounds in handouts to retailers like Next.

It's just crazy. Working as a retail assistant is an admirable job but shouldn't require a government funded training scheme. It requires a certain type of person but many of the skills people pick up pretty easily. All that's required maybe is for new staff to be mentored for a couple of days at best. Christ I remember secondary school work experience in the 90s, some of us who did our work experience in retail had nailed most of it in a couple of days...

I have a grey hair problem.Nobody will employ me to do programming.They want younger chickens! :blink: