House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

It's a stupendous waste of money which is why the politicians love it. I can see a short hub being built out from London and the money running out at around 1 hour journey time from London.

Well even without them going any faster, that would be Kettering then. We go to London several times a year, and it takes an hour. I like the journey. I'm not really interested in something that would make it quicker! If they were running two services, and one took an hour, and the other one halved it, I'd still take the hour one. I realise though, that I'm speaking as an occasional leisure traveller!

HOLA444

It does look like a waste of money.

I also don't understand why we still have trains as opposed to turning the tracks into roads purely for coaches and freight.

The cost of tracks alone must be huge; surely this is Victorian technology that is best left to local enthusiasts with their own lines.

HOLA445

At the risk of being totally slated here, I think HS2 is an excellent idea and I can't wait for it to be built.

...Ill get me coat..

I'm ambivalent.. mainly because it won't affect me (unless it reaches a lot further up north).

Virgin already offer a pretty fast service down to London from here but I guess extra infrastructure is always good.

The cost is about half the amount we spend on the NHS in one year. As a one off cost on such a large project I don't think that's too terrible. Especially if using mostly British companies who will recycle some of the money back into the economy.

HOLA446

I'm ambivalent.. mainly because it won't affect me (unless it reaches a lot further up north).

Virgin already offer a pretty fast service down to London from here but I guess extra infrastructure is always good.

The cost is about half the amount we spend on the NHS in one year. As a one off cost on such a large project I don't think that's too terrible. Especially if using mostly British companies who will recycle some of the money back into the economy.

That's what large cost infrastructure projects are about! Hitler built the Autobahns!

HOLA447

That's what large cost infrastructure projects are about! Hitler built the Autobahns!

And Harold Wilson built the Humber Bridge.

I think the Germans got the better deal. In terms of roads, not leaders, that is!

HOLA448

I also don't understand why we still have trains as opposed to turning the tracks into roads purely for coaches and freight.

The cost of tracks alone must be huge; surely this is Victorian technology that is best left to local enthusiasts with their own lines.

The costs are high for the wrong reasons, and railways are rather more efficient than roads, certainly for freight, when you've got large flows. Even for passengers getting in and out of cities by rail is often easier, and for longer journeys it can be more relaxing (or would be if we hadn't degraded passenger accommodation so badly with every godawful new train).

HOLA449

I think the Germans got the better deal. In terms of roads, not leaders, that is!

They did, as I have travelled on the German Autobahns a bit, but I think I only went over the Humber Bridge once.

HOLA4410

As I've never had call to personally collect a fish from Hull nor a turnip from Lincolnshire, I've never used the bridge either.

HOLA4411

As I've never had call to personally collect a fish from Hull nor a turnip from Lincolnshire, I've never used the bridge either.

That's what the supermarket home delivery service is for! :blink:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The humber bridge is underused as it was supposed to be part of a motorway that was never built...the M11 was supposed to go past cambridge and all the way to Hull (perhaps beyond). Instead they've opted to upgrade the A1 to the A1(m) in a rather piecemeal fashion.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

HS2 trains are at risk of derailing if they hit top speed of 225mph, claim engineers working on £42billion project

32266C4E00000578-0-image-m-13_1457864670

Commissioned by HS2 and marked 'official-sensitive', the report by Professor Peter Woodward said trains reaching speeds of 225mph would cause 'significant issues' with track instability.

FFS.

Could we not just have some slow trains that just turned up on time..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35790137

That is without mentioning the 'partial cancellations' where the train only gets to its destination on time by missing out stations and leaving passengers behind

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14319068.Rail_commuters_most_affected_by_trains_missing_out_station_stops/

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The cost of the tracks is big. For the full 300 mile "Y" shaped HS2 - the tracks, ballast, sleepers, and overhead power system would come to a total cost of almost £2 billion.

The problem is the cost of getting things built in the UK is much higher than in other countries. There is much more bureaucracy, wages are much higher, land is more expensive, planning is more difficult and demands very high levels of environmental mitigation requiring much more expensive construction techniques. Similar projects in France are typically 80-90% cheaper on a per km basis.

HOLA4419
The problem is the cost of getting things built in the UK is much higher than in other countries. There is much more bureaucracy, wages are much higher, land is more expensive, planning is more difficult and demands very high levels of environmental mitigation requiring much more expensive construction techniques. Similar projects in France are typically 80-90% cheaper on a per km basis.

In that case you'd think we'd end up bulding things that aren't bloody awful and shouldn't be torn down at the first opportunity, with all those involved in the design, planning and construction thrown in prison for gross vandalism.

HOLA4420

HS2 trains are at risk of derailing if they hit top speed of 225mph, claim engineers working on £42billion project

Commissioned by HS2 and marked 'official-sensitive', the report by Professor Peter Woodward said trains reaching speeds of 225mph would cause 'significant issues' with track instability.

FFS.

We need real speed https://www.rt.com/news/335305-hyperloop-transportation-system-europe/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

The deal between Slovakia and Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT), which has slated testing for 2020, brings the Hyperloop one step closer to reality. HTT announced the deal on its website Thursday.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

We need to slow down and take things at a more leisurely pace. Faster transport, as well as inevitably being an obnoxious presence wherever it's built, just ends up putting more pressure to travel. The last thing we need is more stress, more "be here, be there, be everywhere." There's a happy medium, I don't know where it is but suspect we've already passed it (maybe for quite some time, there were train services that spent a fair proportion of their journeys above 100 mph even in the 30s although they were very much the exception and not the rule).

HOLA4423

Yes, but if you need to do that journey often enough for it to be an issue then I'd say the problem isn't with the transport system.

More capacity, as I said, is a pretty sound argument for building a new railway (even if it's yet another symptom of over-population, although considering how many railways have been closed it's still not getting near to what it used to be). That's why I wouldn't be against it if we were actually capable of building anything non-repulsive. Top speed of 100 mph, non-electrified, no concrete, no over-the-top modern standards and it might be fine.

edit: Forgot the bit where I view HS2 supporters and what they want as about as good for the country as massive income multiple mortgages and eternal house price rises. Or is that too on-topic?

Higher speed's most obvious technical advantage is higher capacity.

HOLA4424

FFS.

Professor Woodward is in favour of hs2 being built. He has highlighted some technical concerns, AFAIK, because that is the responsible thing to do, being a civil engineer and all that. At this early stage they can be mitigated more economically.

HOLA4425

Basically we a living in a World where a transatlantic conference can be done over VPN at home. Why bother to actually go there? :mellow:

A bit like DAB radio, bad engineering too late! Why broadcast low quality crap in marvelllous mono, when I can get that off the internet? :blink:

because lots of decisions are not taken in meetings, rather you need to network with people and gain their confidence. Meeting in person helps a lot with this, whilst those who connect remotely to meetings can end up getting excluded from what is really going on.

Archived