House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New map released that shows it will take people between 50 and 60 minutes to travel from their homes in Derby and Nottingham to a proposed station at Toton. Where exactly is the time saving?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/New-map-shows-speed-journeys-HS2-station/story-28269144-detail/story.html

An hour? Pah. That's nothing it will take some people in Scotland 6+ hours to reach the nearest HS2 station. Scotland also gets the privilege of helping to pay for it too. Grand.

An hour? Pah. That's nothing it will take some people in Scotland 6+ hours to reach the nearest HS2 station. Scotland also gets the privilege of helping to pay for it too. Grand.

Whereas people in Cornwall aren't paying for it?

I believe it to be a folly, like the Millenium Dome! :blink:

Well it was never really about speed anyway, that's just to try to make it appeal to the morons who worship whizzing around like a headless chicken and who don't give a sh1t about anything actually worth having. The far more convincing argument was always about capacity, so should free up a bit of space on existing lines in the vaguely general direction not directly served by it. Purely from that point of view I wouldn't even be against it, if it wasn't high speed and we weren't only capable of building things that deserve everyone involved and everyone who wanted and supported it to be cast into the deepest pit of hell immediately (still better than they deserve). I view such people as as big a pile of scum as ISIS. Or worse.

Well it was never really about speed anyway, that's just to try to make it appeal to the morons who worship whizzing around like a headless chicken and who don't give a sh1t about anything actually worth having. The far more convincing argument was always about capacity, so should free up a bit of space on existing lines in the vaguely general direction not directly served by it. Purely from that point of view I wouldn't even be against it, if it wasn't high speed and we weren't only capable of building things that deserve everyone involved and everyone who wanted and supported it to be cast into the deepest pit of hell immediately (still better than they deserve). I view such people as as big a pile of scum as ISIS. Or worse.

Have you ever considered a career in motivational speaking ?

:D

Have you ever considered a career in motivational speaking ?

I'm merely stating the obvious. There's something seriously wrong with people whose stomachs aren't turned by it, yet they're everywhere, a plague on the world, and it's always getting shaped by them. That's why I'm so bloody depressed most of the time, there's fvck all in the future worth looking forward to, the best that can be hoped for is as slow a rate of "progress" as possible because it's not actually making anything better (managing the decline is the most charitable I can be). Yet there are millions of morons who actually think there's something good about this crap. Quite frankly I can understand why people would blow themselves up in the middle of a crowd more easily.

I'm merely stating the obvious. There's something seriously wrong with people whose stomachs aren't turned by it, yet they're everywhere, a plague on the world, and it's always getting shaped by them. That's why I'm so bloody depressed most of the time, there's fvck all in the future worth looking forward to, the best that can be hoped for is as slow a rate of "progress" as possible because it's not actually making anything better (managing the decline is the most charitable I can be). Yet there are millions of morons who actually think there's something good about this crap. Quite frankly I can understand why people would blow themselves up in the middle of a crowd more easily.

People dream...for some, its all they have

Basically we a living in a World where a transatlantic conference can be done over VPN at home. Why bother to actually go there? :mellow:

A bit like DAB radio, bad engineering too late! Why broadcast low quality crap in marvelllous mono, when I can get that off the internet? :blink:

New map released that shows it will take people between 50 and 60 minutes to travel from their homes in Derby and Nottingham to a proposed station at Toton. Where exactly is the time saving?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/New-map-shows-speed-journeys-HS2-station/story-28269144-detail/story.html

It will take SOME people between 50 and 60mins, others will take a lot less.

Derby and Nottingham are sh!t holes with horrendous traffic, the fault lies there, not with the proposed HS2.

Think positive, the solution is to improve transport infrastructure to the station.

I'd rather have a slow train with full silver-service dining car than HS2.

Quite, making travel more pleasurable is much more desirable than making it faster. There's nowhere in the UK that it's impossible to reach in a reasonable time at present. There's no need at all for more speed between, say, Manchester and London. That's too fast as it is. I'd prefer places to remain further apart.

Quite, making travel more pleasurable is much more desirable than making it faster. There's nowhere in the UK that it's impossible to reach in a reasonable time at present. There's no need at all for more speed between, say, Manchester and London. That's too fast as it is. I'd prefer places to remain further apart.

Well, England, barring Cornwall.

Getting from Newquay to Aberdeen is quite a drag.

The UK spine would be best served by having more capacity and better ticketing/joinedup/oystercardish.

Well, England, barring Cornwall.

Getting from Newquay to Aberdeen is quite a drag.

The UK spine would be best served by having more capacity and better ticketing/joinedup/oystercardish.

Yes, but if you need to do that journey often enough for it to be an issue then I'd say the problem isn't with the transport system.

More capacity, as I said, is a pretty sound argument for building a new railway (even if it's yet another symptom of over-population, although considering how many railways have been closed it's still not getting near to what it used to be). That's why I wouldn't be against it if we were actually capable of building anything non-repulsive. Top speed of 100 mph, non-electrified, no concrete, no over-the-top modern standards and it might be fine.

edit: Forgot the bit where I view HS2 supporters and what they want as about as good for the country as massive income multiple mortgages and eternal house price rises. Or is that too on-topic?

Basically we a living in a World where a transatlantic conference can be done over VPN at home. Why bother to actually go there? :mellow:

Tell that to the idiot world leaders for COP21

If you had lived in Edinburgh during the 7 years of tram works mayhem - I think you would have litererally gone all IS / ISIL or whatever they call themselves.

If you had lived in Edinburgh during the 7 years of tram works mayhem - I think you would have litererally gone all IS / ISIL or whatever they call themselves.

I think you're probably right. It was bad enough the few times I visited during that time. One thing I can say about Manchester is at least they seem to be able to get trams built.

The direct London trains from Derby and Nottingham only take 1hr 40 mins, why would anyone there spend half an hour dragging their luggage to Toton then wait for another form of transport... If you timed it to get there with a safe amount of time to spare, like 10 or 20 mins, you'd arrive in London later than the existing trains.

I think they want the slaves living far away from London and just ship them in and out to do the nasty jobs.