House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Beans

By The Time Your 30 - You Should Be Earning £24K And Live In A £240K House

What age is '30-something'

31?

39?

If a typical 30-something, and lets say 35, does have a 24k salary, which sounds about right for the people I know, then the the average 3 bed semi should be no more than 150K - and that would be a good one.

I think a pretty good guide to personal happiness is to take what the Daily Mail say you should be, and try your best to be the exact opposite.

I don't know. I like looking at the bikini starlets and nip slips.

I think a pretty good guide to personal happiness is to take what the Daily Mail say you should be, and try your best to be the exact opposite.

It's a useful to help you make your mind-up if you're not sure about a matter, as the exact opposite of what they say is probably right.

It's a useful to help you make your mind-up if you're not sure about a matter, as the exact opposite of what they say is probably right.

Not entirely. Todays lifestyle feature comment is :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3339304/Lorraine-Kelly-shocks-viewers-crude-comment-Piers-Morgan.html

Loraiine Kelly offering to sit on someones face. I'm genuinely going through the options on that.

4.3k in savings, living in rented accomodation 'worth' 240k (it definitely hints that the average 30 year old is renting in the article) and earning 24k at 30.

Young britons living the aspirational dream as designed by Blair, Brown and Cameron.

As i side note, I'm fairly sure I had double that in savings when i was 18 - pre uni, from paper rounds and a weekend job. Still, more fool me, as 4.3k keeps you under the lower threshold for full state handouts....

30, Going bankrupt, Single, and living with family. Earnings are about on par though.

Yup, I'm doing well on the dailymail scale then! lol.

31, earn 36k living in parents 120k home. I'm not sure if that makes me a Daily Mail failure or not. I certainly don't feel the need to "catch up" in any way with my peers! Mind you, a lot of the other stuff is worrying accurate :D

and married with 2 kids, a 1 year old BMW (for yourself), and a 1 year old Audi (for the wife), and one foreign holiday a year. You must also have Sky, a big TV, an iphone 6, an ipad, and anything less you are not borrowing enough to lock in the recovery.

It's a nasty piece pitting people against one another and is all about encouraging us (well not us but you know what I mean) to consume/live beyond our means by taking on more debt to play catchup.

I went out with a friend of mine for a drink last week and he was depressed as he felt he hadn't done anything meaningful with his life or have anything to show for it. He's starting a new job this week (fittingly £24k per annum) and I reassured him that by repairing his credit history (3 years until all debts are statute barred) and saving in a help to buy ISA he too could be a debt serf like everyone else in his forties and that'll take him nicely into retirement. He really wants to own a home, he knows if I were in his shoes I'd save for an income instead and wait for a nice girl to come out the other end of a long term relationship that kept the family home, IMO that's more of a prospect to bring extra pennies into an already paid for house.

I'm a world away from Joe Average thank god. Does it matter which end of the spectrum I'm at when I have food, shelter and warmth (and a new car every two years on lease haha - does it really matter).

They need to be more aspirational. By the time you're 22 you should be earning £27k and living in a £250k house.

Yep, your parents home...... ;)

I still am amazed how little salaries have moved up since The mid/late 1990s. I began on £17500 in 1996, and was on £33k by 1999 with one job change. So in 16 years it seems graduate salaries have gone backward, whilst house prices have more than doubled.