House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

On The Rocks

OK, who here drinks neat drinks, which and why.

I can drink Bacardi and Vodka neat but I don't because it's not particularly pleasant, and I can't keep it up for long - the drinking, that is.

I tried whisky. Though strangely watery, it was a bit like downing several batteries and then having your throat rubbed with a pumice stone. Perhaps I could grow to appreciate it in time.

Do you get drunk? Well, obviously, you would, if you just downed half a bottle of neat vodka. But alcoholics aside I'm assuming that most people tend to sip neat drinks slowly.

Without that "stomach and bladder are full" sensation - how do you know when to stop? Does this lead to mornings where you wake, feel OK, move ever so slightly, and suddenly feel like someone is pressing hot needles into your intestines?

I've got into the classical music so I think that sipping neat drinks is surely the next thing, though the slippers are some way over the horizon yet.

I went through a phase of drinking neat whisky. The mistake many people make is to try and throw it down their throat as quick as possible when counterintuitively it's far more pleasant to sip a little and roll it around your mouth a bit before taking any larger sips.

I used to take a hip flask with me pretty much everywhere (I don't drive, so can pretty much drink as I please). These days I hardly drink at all, I just fell out of the habit of it over time. A big thing was stopping smoking, after which drinking was never the same.

Aye, whisky should always be drunk neat, and sipped appreciatively.

Unless it's cheap&nasty, in which case by all means mix it with something: you've nothing to lose.

As for how much to drink? Well, whisky is to beer as espresso is to filter coffee. Something that just naturally works best in taster-size.

I think it was the sheer rush of nailing neat spirits that made me an alky. Pour four shots of gin/vodka/rum/brandy/whisky into a glass and nail it. If you can keep it down you're on for a temporary rush that in my experience is as good as a line or a joint, especially if you follow it up with a cigarette.

Obviously it's downhill all the way from there. But neat spirits have a powerfully euphoric effect in my experience.

Regarding whisky I'm reminded of how revolting I thought beer was when I first tried it.

My Dad was a whisky drinker. I used to get him decent bottles as gifts, e.g. the £30 to £40 varieties.

Once I asked "Are they really much better than the £10 bottles you normally get?"

"Yes. But I probably wouldn't pay that much."

But then is this like beer: for example, Kronenbourg. The first one tastes like weak beer mixed with wine. All subsequent ones taste perfectly acceptable.

Actually on a complete tangent, do look out for a film called "The Angels' Share" - it's very good.

I think it was the sheer rush of nailing neat spirits that made me an alky. Pour four shots of gin/vodka/rum/brandy/whisky into a glass and nail it. If you can keep it down you're on for a temporary rush that in my experience is as good as a line or a joint, especially if you follow it up with a cigarette.

Obviously it's downhill all the way from there. But neat spirits have a powerfully euphoric effect in my experience.

I can usually "keep it down", it's just the "remaining conscious" bit that becomes an issue as you know ;)

Perhaps the closest I get to this is some mildly spicy food which gives me a kind of warm glow for about ten minutes.

With alcohol once I get to that "everything is spinning around me" stage, that's it, there's no way back. Although mercifully I don't become one of those gibbering wrecks you sometimes encounter in public places and wonder how they got home that night.

I'm tempted to try your vodka idea now but we're too busy with stuff at the moment and I can't face one of "those" Monday mornings.

Gin is the one that I can't drink. With whisky, I'm prepared to hold my hands up to lack of experience with it and to believe that it might grow on me; gin is just revolting, like aniseed mixed with stinging nettles. IIRC.

Rave -

important that people who've been through the mill of this remind those younger/less experienced that this stuff is FUN - but brings a price. May help others starting on that downwards spiral.

I raise an internet drink to you for sharing

WB

I do like a good Single Malt. One of my old mates got me into it, and he's Welsh. As for Gin, it is best with tonic and lemon in hot climates. By golly I wouldn't drink too much neat Vodka. It doesn't taste like much and blows your head off. I'd bet more people die of alcohol poisoning, than weed. I might get a posh Whisky for the Winter Bank Holiday

I do like a good Single Malt. One of my old mates got me into it, and he's Welsh. As for Gin, it is best with tonic and lemon in hot climates. By golly I wouldn't drink too much neat Vodka. It doesn't taste like much and blows your head off. I'd bet more people die of alcohol poisoning, than weed. I might get a posh Whisky for the Winter Bank Holiday

+1

Another vote for neat whisky; sipped and savoured. I had it as a hobby with a range of whiskies. It gave me a nice warm glow and, unlike beer, I didn't drink it to get drunk and don't recall ever being drunk on it.

I haven't drunk it for twenty years; I found my consumption was steadily creeping up so didn't buy any more. The thought of how bad a whisky hangover might be ensured that I never risked one.

There is a big range of flavours; some I found too rough, others too sweet. I settled on Famous Grouse as my favourite standard whisky, Macallan as my favourite premium, with the huge variety of flavours of single malts being the point of them.

I know exactly what you mean. Nothing like it. Glass full of ice, double vodka in it, down the hatch, two more vodkas in there please. Twenty years since I last did it and the memory is as clear as a bell. I was never an alchoholic but I have an unreasoning instinct that says Alchohol Is The Answer. I would enjoy it right now at 0748hrs. Sometimes your instincts lie like a b@stard. Happily I am rational enough to recognise that.

Never really got into Whisky. Tried to but bad experience when young makes it hard.

I did a distillery tour last year - was really interesting and tasted some at the end that were not too bad. I didnt hate them. Its a start.

Sometimes alcohol in the form of beer, maybe 3 pints or four/five shots of Glenfiddich, does me the world of good in many ways. From the intiial kick and nice warm fuzzy feeling right down to the lethargic time to go to bed feeling. Then waking up with not a hint of a hangover and and a pretty good start to the day.

Other times, a couple of drinks and it doesnt do much for me, then time for bed. Waking next morning with a dull head and wishing I never touched alcohol ever....whats that all about ?

Whiskey I drink neat, quality whisky shouldn't be with ice or a mixer. The cheap crap like grants or teachers I can't stomach, but I've got a few bottles of it and the only way I'll drink that stuff is in tea.

Both Whiskey and Whisky? Yeah, I guess so, though the 'merkin stuff seems far too sweet for anything more than an occasional novelty (do the Irish spell theirs with an e too?)

As for the cheap crap (the lager of scottish bogwater), use it as a mixer. I have some nice ginger stuff that serves both as an alcohol-free alternative to strong booze (when there's a driver to consider while others are indulging), and as a 50/50 mixer with whisky.

Never really got into Whisky. Tried to but bad experience when young makes it hard.

The highland stuff nearest to you is OK but tends to blandness. Get over to the islands for the really good stuff. Most of the best ones come from Islay.

I did have a few Vodka-Martinis once in the bar of a hotel we were staying at.

The thing that I find with spirits is that when keeping still, the effect seems quite mild, rather 'heady'. It's only when you try to stand up that you realise quite how far gone you are.

I found myself paralysed from the waist down and began one of my giggling fits, and had to be carried up the stairs to bed.

Conclusion: I have neither the constitution nor the alcohol tolerance that James Bond has.

Personally I have to be very, very careful with spirits. I could drink beer all day from opening until closing, get very, very drunk but still be in control.

However, a few spirits in quick succession and I become a complete and utter embarrassment.

The highland stuff nearest to you is OK but tends to blandness. Get over to the islands for the really good stuff. Most of the best ones come from Islay.

The strong stuff is not for me. I dont like the peaty ones either. Bland is probably my best bet !!

Everyone who can drink should be careful with whatever alcoholic drink that is taken....a little aperitif once in a while is responsible drinking.....a whole bottle is not. ;)