House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

George Osborne Is Going To Spend A Fortune Keeping House Prices High

Please do not take anything remotely seriously what that numpty Marxist Richard Murphy says.

What specifically does he say in the article you disagree with?

Please do not take anything remotely seriously what that numpty Marxist Richard Murphy says.

Why, he (and most of the comments) seem to be saying much the same to what most posters on here say. You can ignore the messenger without ignoring the message.

We are in deflationary times, Osborne is fighting it and losing.

He will continue to prop-up house prices using taxpayers money, to the detriment of taxpayers, until gravity wins and the pyramid comes tumbling down.

What he is planning is to keep houses static, stable......no huge jumps no great falls....hoping we do not notice that in real terms house prices ideally will be losing value for now......no great loss or problem....do the country good. ;)

Labour loves high house costs...it gives them an excuse to get the government involved.

Neither party offers policies that are palatable to me. Tories want us all to be slaves to banksters. Corbyn will use social housing policy to buy votes from groups he likes and if you are a white british male, will likely get a bedsit next to a chemical plant.

We are in deflationary times, Osborne is fighting it and losing.

He will continue to prop-up house prices using taxpayers money, to the detriment of taxpayers, until gravity wins and the pyramid comes tumbling down.

His only choice. Wages wont go up, in no small part due to his refusal to restrict immigration levels. Rates can't go down. He can only force prices up via loans/grants. Pretty sick stuff, but with labour looking like a bunch of children living in lala land, he can do what he wants.

His only choice. Wages wont go up, in no small part due to his refusal to restrict immigration levels. Rates can't go down. He can only force prices up via loans/grants. Pretty sick stuff, but with labour looking like a bunch of children living in lala land, he can do what he wants.

Why do you think that I, a lifelong Tory, was rooting for UKIP at the last election? I can assure you it had nothing to do with Europe.

HE ALREADY HAS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

LABOUR STARTED IT.

IT'S FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE ESTABLISHMENT NOT FOR THE ELECTORATE.

why do people continue believe, or have faith in, anything either lot of them say?

What he is planning is to keep houses static, stable......no huge jumps no great falls....hoping we do not notice that in real terms house prices ideally will be losing value for now......no great loss or problem....do the country good. ;)

my backside.

Who makes then.....those that sell the debt or those that buy at the top using two year fixed lowest rates in history......the only way is up re costs, down re prices......unsustainable, ask the government outgoings can't exceed incomings forever, growing deficit, balance of payments is trousers......high prices, low value. ;)

Why do you think that I, a lifelong Tory, was rooting for UKIP at the last election? I can assure you it had nothing to do with Europe.

Yup...I wonder If Carswell has ever said anything about house costs explictly...he's talked on fractional reserve.

HE ALREADY HAS AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

LABOUR STARTED IT.

IT'S FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE ESTABLISHMENT NOT FOR THE ELECTORATE.

why do people continue believe, or have faith in, anything either lot of them say?

Brown was continuing a tradition that began with the Edward Heath's chancellor Anthony Barber in 1972, the so-called Barber Boom. Thatcher instigated a generational crisis in public housing with the introduction of the original Right To Buy in 1980, inspired by the efforts of the Conservative-led Greater London Council in the 1970s.

Brown was continuing a tradition that began with the Edward Heath's chancellor Anthony Barber in 1972, the so-called Barber Boom. Thatcher instigated a generational crisis in public housing with the introduction of the original Right To Buy in 1980, inspired by the efforts of the Conservative-led Greater London Council in the 1970s.

I agree.

it's not labour versus tory, it's Westminster versus 99% of us.

OK, how does one comment? I can see a whole bunch of comments there, but no way to enter one.

(I had in mind to say, good to see this coming from him, and point to myself saying the same back in the days when it was a different chancellor in charge).

OK, how does one comment? I can see a whole bunch of comments there, but no way to enter one.

(I had in mind to say, good to see this coming from him, and point to myself saying the same back in the days when it was a different chancellor in charge).

If you say that it will be deleted. Non supportive comments are not allowed on his blog.

Labour loves high house costs...it gives them an excuse to get the government involved.

Neither party offers policies that are palatable to me. Tories want us all to be slaves to banksters. Corbyn will use social housing policy to buy votes from groups he likes and if you are a white british male, will likely get a bedsit next to a chemical plant.

I doubt that you would even get a bedsit.

But let’s be clear what this does. This is not a subsidy to buy homes. This is a subsidy to keep up house prices and to ensure people borrow the maximum possible -

The basic principle having been applied over many decades now especially during Brown's time but the subsidy principle has gone to yet another extreme level with Osborne.

He must think it's some sort of revelation or something. It's the sort of thing that Brown would have come up with about the Conservatives before the 1997 general election (and before his speeches about no more boom and bust in the housing market when Chancellor). Did Murphy criticise that boom? Maybe he did.

For sure the opposition/opposition advisers would have said something similar during the Brown house price boom and the opposition and some advisers would have said something similar during the Barber boom etc etc. What's new?

Edited by billybong

The basic principle having been applied over many decades now especially during Brown's time but the subsidy principle has gone to yet another extreme level with Osborne.

He must think it's some sort of revelation or something. It's the sort of thing that Brown would have come up with about the Conservatives before the 1997 general election (and before his speeches about no more boom and bust in the housing market when Chancellor). Did Murphy criticise that boom? Maybe he did.

For sure the opposition/opposition advisers would have said something similar during the Brown house price boom and the opposition and some advisers would have said something similar during the Barber boom etc etc. What's new?

What should be new is some means by which a government could be forced to honour it's election promises.

What should be new is some means by which a government could be forced to honour it's election promises.

+1

Indeed.

At least Corbyn seems sincere in his concern about crazy house prices and how they impact people - but something similar could be said about the opposition since records began (although Brown's statements about house prices when in opposition and when Chancellor do stand out glaringly).

Edited by billybong

+1

Indeed.

At least Corbyn seems sincere in his concern about crazy house prices and how they impact people - but something similar could be said about the opposition since records began (although Brown's statements about house prices when in opposition and when Chancellor do stand out glaringly).

that's why he won't get elected.

we've already had senior army officers say something along the lines that they won't let him take power.

we've already had senior army officers say something along the lines that they won't let him take power.

If that's correct they should be court-martialled for threatening a military coup.

Each one only has one vote. As individuals they are entitled to express their own opinion on a politicians' policies (assuming the army allows that - but it won't be termed official army opinion) but preventing one taking power after a general election could be against the rules established by Parliament and could amount to something like treason.

Edited by billybong