House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Halogen Or Convection Oven ?

I'm looking to buy 12lt counter top oven in order to save money and avoid heating up my big oven. I'm leaning toward halogen but not sure which model.

This is the convection unit I've found a bit cheaper than Amazon on ebay

and this is the halogen unit.

I did consider a 7lt halogen but the reviews on Amazon suggest a problem with the lid.

There's also a couple local to me on ebay that I think will go for next to nothing but they're not branded and obviously "used twice".

Any suggestion please ? Tia.

Are they not the same thing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_oven

We have a halogen oven thing and tbh it's in the cupboard now cos we got a hot air chip stirrer thingy.
Didn't use it much but it was good for roast potatoes, gammon. Cleaning the huge glass bowl was a PITA cos it was just a bit too big for me to manhandle properly.

The second one with the racks and expander ring - makes all the difference

a 7lt one is just too small

When your halogen breaks (sorry - it will eventually - the bulbs go) then go and buy the cheap one - as you;ll have the expander ring which should fit as the bowls are exactly the same (you'll also have a spare bowl!)

The first one i've not come across - it looks like a halogen but being marketed as something else!

Halogens are awesome - you wont regret it

The second one with the racks and expander ring - makes all the difference

a 7lt one is just too small

When your halogen breaks (sorry - it will eventually - the bulbs go) then go and buy the cheap one - as you;ll have the expander ring which should fit as the bowls are exactly the same (you'll also have a spare bowl!)

The first one i've not come across - it looks like a halogen but being marketed as something else!

Halogens are awesome - you wont regret it

They're not the same - here is the convection unit on amazon with reviews.

I actually had one of these when living in a room so I could make stuff in the room. They look like they might be a shopping channel style con but they are really good!

Are they actually more efficient than a normal electric oven, that is well insulated all round with insulated door glass etc?

I've only seen one in use and it seemed to loose a lot of heat externally.

Are they actually more efficient than a normal electric oven, that is well insulated all round with insulated door glass etc?

I've only seen one in use and it seemed to loose a lot of heat externally.

For speed of most things yes. They are crap for yorkshire puddings.