House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fru-gal

Coffee Machines...

I want to buy a coffee machine that makes either filter coffee or coffee from beans or the pods that make you the coffee of your choice. There seem to be too much choice. I hate the taste of instant (granulated) coffee, hence why I need a machine (I already have the plunger type cheap coffee "pot").

Does anyone have one where you buy the little pods which make coffee? Are they any good? Recommendations? I know that some of the machines are cheap but does it end up costing a fortune in the pods? Are the pods compatible between machines?

I use a cafetiere thing. Sort of a beaker with a plunger in it! I buy ready ground! I don't like "instant coffee". It's sort of false!

I want to buy a coffee machine that makes either filter coffee or coffee from beans or the pods that make you the coffee of your choice. There seem to be too much choice. I hate the taste of instant (granulated) coffee, hence why I need a machine (I already have the plunger type cheap coffee "pot").

Does anyone have one where you buy the little pods which make coffee? Are they any good? Recommendations? I know that some of the machines are cheap but does it end up costing a fortune in the pods? Are the pods compatible between machines?

Need ?

I use a cafetiere thing. Sort of a beaker with a plunger in it! I buy ready ground! I don't like "instant coffee". It's sort of false!

I've got one of those already. But I think the coffee it makes tastes pretty bad. I normally get a free coffee from Waitrose but they use those big industrial machines with the coffee beans. I need coffee to function.

I've got a nespresso. The coffee it makes is good, and it's fun to experiment with the different types when you have the (very good) milk frother - the aeroccino, which you can also buy separately..

To be honest though I just use it now when I need a quick espresso. It does coffee shop quality espressos.

But most of the time, when I want a longer drink, I go back to my trusty cafetière. You can get some excellent ground coffees from supermarkets these days. Colombian blend from M&S is superb!

I think it's more about the coffee blend than the machine.

Tassimo works well for me,Haven't paid full price for the pods yet, you get coupons with a new machine and I got 25% of a batch on black Friday.

What stroke/bore?

About the size of a Chevvy 440 piston!

Guy at work has a Nespresso with the pods.

Tastes very good but seems pretty prices to run. Take a look at the pod prices before buying.

In terms of the quality I don't think you'll be disappointed, the refills might make your eyes water though.

Depends what your budget is and what facilities are available. Personally I think you can't beat a moka pot but you might not have the facilities for that wherever you are thinking of having your maker.

I have two coffee machines. A percolator I bought as a student when I first fell in love with real coffee (much more affordable than beer as an everyday drug). And an espresso machine I bought after returning to Blighty from Italy.

Nowadays I almost always just use the espresso. The coffee is probably the single best thing in Italian cuisine, and the one I really couldn't leave behind once hooked.

I don't have a machine so I can't speak to which ones are any good but I do know that you can generally bypass the whole cost of the pods by buying compatible refillable capsules (normally sold by other companies - the ones making the machines are generally intent on selling you the single use pods as well) and using your own ground coffee in them. There's an awesome ground coffee shop on Delancey Street if you're ever in the Camden area.

IMO the best coffee is made using one of these.....I would never buy a pod machine.......can buy already grinned but I prefer to use whole roasted beans or mixture of beans, both light and dark is a good mixture you buy and grind yourself use as and when required.....coffee freezes really well.......pods are convenient but very expensive way of doing things, you are tied into using their coffee, tied to using their product........once coffee is made (only takes five or ten mins) can add hot water or milk or both as required....or if like particularly strong drink neat like espresso......

s-l1000.jpg

Coffee maker

Coffee grinder.

i-love-my-delonghi-coffee-grinder-212737

IMO the best coffee is made using one of these.....I would never buy a pod machine.......can buy already grinned but I prefer to use whole roasted beans or mixture of beans, both light and dark is a good mixture you buy and grind yourself use as and when required.....coffee freezes really well.......pods are convenient but very expensive way of doing things, you are tied into using their coffee, tied to using their product........once coffee is made (only takes five or ten mins) can add hot water or milk or both as required....or if like particularly strong drink neat like espresso......

Coffee maker

Coffee grinder.

Some sort of Dalek? I like the style! :unsure:

Best pods I've used are Senseo 62mm Sumatra Lake Toba from: http://www.thecoffeepod.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d9_senseo_Coffee_Pods_Page_2.html

£9.99 for 50 then once you've bought, you get 10% discount ever after. They also sell other sizes of pods.

Edit to say: ideally I'd have a bean-to-cup machine, but cost too much and the wait for the essential kickstart in the morning is too long. Senseo is a good balance between time taken to make and flavour.

Why should you need a "coffee machine"? What's wrong with the beaker with a plunger? :blink:

My understanding is it's 'all in the grind' so paying through the nose for pre-ground coffee is pointless once you open the pack. I remember reading it's all about the coarseness/ fineness of the grind and also to only use recently ground coffee (something about it releasing flavours and more importantly aromas which will only last about 10 minutes so freshly ground is just that - freshly ground beans - not beans ground and sealed in foil and then opened by you and left in a jar for a fortnight)

I think a moka pot is an excellent choice - simple and reliable - and a decent grinder with freshly ground beans is good value (so keeing the hpc massiv happy) and makes a truly great cup of coffee

YMMV

There's a lot more to coffee than most think. It amuses me when I see the youngsters employed by the coffee shop chains walking around with "Barista" on their uniforms. I was chatting to a lady from Croatia last year, she had been a Barista in Italy for several years and she was telling me that the beans were ground to a different fineness depending on the time of year and weather conditions. Water softness also had an impact on the taste. Quite a lot more to the art than just pulling a lever to fill a cup.

We treated ourselves to a super duper Siemens bean to cup machine after our Krups bean to coffee machine broke yet again.

The grind of the coffee is dependant on the machine you use it in......some machines require finely ground others more coarsely ground.....if you know anything about coffee you should know that. ;)

There's a lot more to coffee than most think. It amuses me when I see the youngsters employed by the coffee shop chains walking around with "Barista" on their uniforms. I was chatting to a lady from Croatia last year, she had been a Barista in Italy for several years and she was telling me that the beans were ground to a different fineness depending on the time of year and weather conditions. Water softness also had an impact on the taste. Quite a lot more to the art than just pulling a lever to fill a cup.

Yep, but that is a British snob thing marketing scam isn't it. You get pretensious people willing to pay vast inflated prices for cups of coffee because there is someone pulling levers on a a very noisy machine. The British are snobs and are very easy to convince to pay inflated prices for things if you can add that snob factor.

My understanding is it's 'all in the grind' so paying through the nose for pre-ground coffee is pointless once you open the pack. I remember reading it's all about the coarseness/ fineness of the grind and also to only use recently ground coffee (something about it releasing flavours and more importantly aromas which will only last about 10 minutes so freshly ground is just that - freshly ground beans - not beans ground and sealed in foil and then opened by you and left in a jar for a fortnight)

I think a moka pot is an excellent choice - simple and reliable - and a decent grinder with freshly ground beans is good value (so keeing the hpc massiv happy) and makes a truly great cup of coffee

YMMV

While freshly-ground is ideal, it retains flavour if frozen and not exposed substantially to air.