House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Football Fans? Can I Change Team?

Under what circumstances can one switch football team allegiance?

I've nominally supported one midlands team since I was 5 or 6 because my late father did. I was born in the city but moved when I was 2. I've seen them play 6 times or so.

However I've lived on the south coast for 36 years now and would much rather support a local team.

Anyone faced a similar dilemma?

It is apostacy! You shall be stoned. :blink:

I still have a soft spot for Crystal Palace, even though I have never lived there for many years!

I think procedurally you are supposed to support "both" for a while, remaining neutral if they happen to play each other. Then gradually you start to identify as a fan of just the new team. If the process takes long enough you'll probably get away with it.

I've always had a second local team and, depending how far away from my first team I'm living, may go to that more frequently.

I've even once had a season ticket for the second team, and I've not had one for the first.

I don't think you actually need to switch allegiance but after a few matches you start actively supporting that second team and enjoying it nearly as much or even as much as watching your original team.

It's the travel that got to me and switched me onto following a local team. Leave home at ten, not back until gone nine, vast price of train ticket. And if you don't win that's not a great day.

Unbelievable.

I've supported Chelsea ever since I was a kid. It runs in the family, blood. I even had trials for them when Dario Gradi was the chief scout and used to pass Chelsea players like Ron Harris in the street on my way to school.

Wind forward a few years and I end up in Yorkshire where I've been for 30 years. Now that they're incredibly successful I fear being looked on as a glory chaser rather than a loyal and long suffering distant fan (who extremely rarely ever bothers to get off his @rse to watch a game live). I always preferred to play than watch.

No, you can't swap allegiances. But you can adopt a local team as a second team.

Hmm... I lived 20 miles from the ground for the first 2 years of my life, since then have lived 300 miles away. Ive seen them play once every 6 years... My point as that the allegiance is tenuous at best.

Unbelievable.

I've supported Chelsea ever since I was a kid. It runs in the family, blood. I even had trials for them when Dario Gradi was the chief scout and used to pass Chelsea players like Ron Harris in the street on my way to school.

Wind forward a few years and I end up in Yorkshire where I've been for 30 years. Now that they're incredibly successful I fear being looked on as a glory chaser rather than a loyal and long suffering distant fan (who extremely rarely ever bothers to get off his @rse to watch a game live). I always preferred to play than watch.

No, you can't swap allegiances. But you can adopt a local team as a second team.

Suppose I have a soft spot now for Bristol Rovers! They have about ten fans!

Are they still non-league?

I don't know. I used to live near the shop, and nearly bought their special mug. It was only open Saturday mornings! Not a big football fan, but I think the smaller teams are more fun to watch!

Obviously you don't have much of an allegiance if you can consider changing it so just go ahead. I am less a football fan, more a Derby County fan. As in, I couldn't really care less about the Champions League Final or who wins the Premier League, I only take an interest in my team and whoever they are playing. Not too fussed about seeing football live now I live miles away, just watch Derby when they come to this part of the world or when I'm back the odd weekend. Can't ever imagine me going to watch another team, neutral football matches bore me senseless, no excitement.

I'm a die hard Tory. Can I switch to Labour? Whats the rules.

Do you look like Jeremy Corbyn or Ed Milliband ?

I'm a die hard Tory. Can I switch to Labour? Whats the rules.

You have to get up to some perversions involving an orange and a plastic bag!

No I'm more of a Micheal Green type.

Michael? I'm, a spelling Nazi! :(

No I'm more of a Micheal Green type.

Go Green then. It's the obvious solution.

I wouldn't DARE support anyone other than Hartlepool United - this lot would lynch me if they ever found out...

;)

XYY

Christ Mon. They look more mad than the "Red and White Shite", But I still like the Magpies! And Crystal Palace!

Christ Mon. They look more mad than the "Red and White Shite", But I still like the Magpies! And Crystal Palace!

I love Crystal Palace - the list of bigger clubs who I've witnessed losing to Hartlepool in the FA Cup is a pretty small list, but Palace are on it twice...! :)

XYY

I wouldn't DARE support anyone other than Hartlepool United - this lot would lynch me if they ever found out...

;)

XYY

Do you look like a monkey then?