House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MSE refugee

The Great Indian And Bangladeshi Chef Crisis

I have just read an article on Sky that Indian restaurants are in crisis because the government is too strict with their immigration policy.

According to the restaurant owners they can't get any locals to the job as second generation Asians are not interested in cooking.

Maybe it is more to do with their unwillingness to embrace diversity that is the problem.

The fact that most of the restaurant owners will be members of the religion of peace means that there will be very few women chefs or anyone else who isn't from their ethnic group.

I don't think that Indian cuisine is anymore complex than any other cuisine.

Have they considered apprenticeships and college courses for people who already live here?

It's a skill like any other and people can be trained to do it.

Possibly the real problem is really that this job is high-skilled but low-waged because it has been seen as an easy way to immigrate.

Have they considered apprenticeships and college courses for people who already live here?

It's a skill like any other and people can be trained to do it.

Possibly the real problem is really that this job is high-skilled but low-waged because it has been seen as an easy way to immigrate.

According to the article the restaurants are still very busy but are having to close a few days a week due to the shortage of chefs.

You are correct that it is a high skill and low paid job,but if the restaurants are busy surely the market would dictate that the chefs wages should increase in line with demand.

According to the article the restaurants are still very busy but are having to close a few days a week due to the shortage of chefs.

You are correct that it is a high skill and low paid job,but if the restaurants are busy surely the market would dictate that the chefs wages should increase in line with demand.

Indeed they should. You see this widely dysfunctional labour market everywhere though and the obvious answer doesn't seem to occur to anybody: if you cannot attract and keep enough workers then you are not paying the enough, with the corollary that if a job has a queue of applicants around the block then you are paying them too much.

Underpaid jobs: nurses, midwives, care workers, lorry drivers.

Overpaid jobs: tube drivers, firemen, policemen.

And yes I do note the gender bias.

Will Curry Night at Spoons be affected?

That's the only curries that I've eaten out for at least twenty years; I got a bit bored by the limited range in the end and haven't had one for at least six months.

I suspect that consumers in the UK have come to expect good Indian cooking at bargain prices.

As already mentioned, if the curry-houses offered better wages there probably wouldn't be a problem attracting chefs. Plenty of other restauarants manage to do this (yes it is still a precarious sector to start a business, but not because of a shortage of waanabe chefs)

Actually, most "Indian" reastuarants are usually Bangladeshi, so yes they will subscribe to "The Religion of Peace", however I haven't seen any Bangladeshi terrorists mentioned. Maybe we expect a curry too cheap? I'm sure more local people could learn "Indian" cooking, but the truth is, there's not much money in catering, unless you get your own TV show.

I suspect that the Indian restaurant owners just want to import cheap labour so they can have an unfair advantage over other types of restaurants.

I know that being a chef is a low paid profession in general but it would be interesting to find out how an Indian chefs wages compares to others in the restaurant sector.

would you eat a curry cooked by europeans. you probably would if you did not know who was in the kitchen. chain of takeaways in south london run by poles. but curry not good.

would you eat a curry cooked by europeans. you probably would if you did not know who was in the kitchen. chain of takeaways in south london run by poles. but curry not good.

Yes I would eat a curry that was made by any race on the planet.

There is nothing in inherently difficult in Indian cooking that cannot be learned by people that are not from the Indian Sub-continent.

What a bizarre comment!

Poland does not really have a history of curry. Nor does Greece. :(. Greek friend of mine got to like curries, after about two years in the UK. Now they are his favourite.

Strange how people think the chefs have to originate from the country. In fact isn't Indian food in this country a form that you wouldn't find in Asia - eg Chicken Tikka Masala.

At least with Spanish or Italian you (should) get food closer to what they eat at home.... but no reason why a British born chef couldn't do as well or even better..

Well round here there's about erm, sod it I'll look on just-eat - 20 Curry takeaway restaurants who will deliver here.

CUISINES

All157

African3

American11

Arabic1

Bangladeshi3

Breakfast3

Burgers6

Cakes9

Caribbean2

Chicken11

Chinese19

Curry20

Desserts12

English4

Fish & Chips4

French1

Gourmet1

Grill2

Healthy1

Indian58

Italian19

Jamaican1

Kebab15

Malaysian 1

Middle Eastern1

Milkshakes2

Moroccan2

Oriental4

Pakistani1

Peri Peri4

Persian1

Pizza39

Portuguese1

Sandwiches1

Steak1

Sweets1

Thai 3

Strange how people think the chefs have to originate from the country. In fact isn't Indian food in this country a form that you wouldn't find in Asia - eg Chicken Tikka Masala.

At least with Spanish or Italian you (should) get food closer to what they eat at home.... but no reason why a British born chef couldn't do as well or even better..

Aye! Some are made up for the British!

I had a couple of trips to India a few years back. I was advised against the site canteen by a Scottish bloke who turned up with a holdall of tinned haggis! On my next trip, when my bum wasn't so bad, I went to the canteen with my Indian colleague. It was great. All vegetarian, and rather spicy, for 24p in British money!

I have just read an article on Sky that Indian restaurants are in crisis because the government is too strict with their immigration policy.

According to the restaurant owners they can't get any locals to the job as second generation Asians are not interested in cooking.

Maybe it is more to do with their unwillingness to embrace diversity that is the problem.

The fact that most of the restaurant owners will be members of the religion of peace means that there will be very few women chefs or anyone else who isn't from their ethnic group.

I don't think that Indian cuisine is anymore complex than any other cuisine.

Are you sure? India is mostly Hindu. Some of the so-called Indian restaurants might be run by Pakistanis or Bangladeshis I suppose.

There must be plenty of HPCers who could step up to the plate..

What happened to the curry thread with all those videos about how to make restaurant quality curry from a few old onions and a handful of stray cats?

Are you sure? India is mostly Hindu. Some of the so-called Indian restaurants might be run by Pakistanis or Bangladeshis I suppose.

I think the Hindus are great! Fantastic stories nobody will believe, and then you get a colourful procession of people banging big drums, and blowing large trumpets for no particular reason! And you get the morning off! :blink:

There must be plenty of HPCers who could step up to the plate..

What happened to the curry thread with all those videos about how to make restaurant quality curry from a few old onions and a handful of stray cats?

Hey that's oop North! It's all poodle curry down here! :unsure:

Most Indian restaurants in the UK are ran by Bangladeshis but are called Indians possibly out of tradition or maybe the name Bangladeshi doesn't sound as good.

Most Indian restaurants in the UK are ran by Bangladeshis but are called Indians possibly out of tradition or maybe the name Bangladeshi doesn't sound as good.

It sounds a lot better the East Pakistan! :blink:

Well round here there's about erm, sod it I'll look on just-eat - 20 Curry takeaway restaurants who will deliver here.

CUISINES

All157

African3

American11

Arabic1

Bangladeshi3

Breakfast3

Burgers6

Cakes9

Caribbean2

Chicken11

Chinese19

Curry20

Desserts12

English4

Fish & Chips4

French1

Gourmet1

Grill2

Healthy1

Indian58

Italian19

Jamaican1

Kebab15

Malaysian 1

Middle Eastern1

Milkshakes2

Moroccan2

Oriental4

Pakistani1

Peri Peri4

Persian1

Pizza39

Portuguese1

Sandwiches1

Steak1

Sweets1

Thai 3

And another 58 Indian if immigration is an issue.

Read a report on this a while back. Apparently the point of contention is the the minimum wage to pay immigrant workers in this line of work is to be raised from £24k to £28k.

Thats it.

Given its one of many overheads, I wouldnt think it would add all that much to the cost of a curry.

I'm surprised there is a problem at all though, every time i've been for a curry in the last 5 years, there was barely anyone else in there.