House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Old Network Ssid Still Broadcasting On My Lan

I recently had my BT Homehub replaced due to a fault. Now for some weird reason, the old SSID is still visible when I use a wireless device to search for available networks. More weirdly, I noticed yesterday that my laptop actually connected to it, using the stored password to authenticate.

My initial thought was that the Homehub has a 2ghz and 5ghz and that one of them was set up with the old SSID, but that is not the case, both are set with the new SSID and synched to require the same password. The old router is not plugged in, it's in a box in another room.

I know this sounds stupid, but I have absolutely no idea what the hell is broadcasting that old SSID. Anyone got any ideas how to track the damn thing down?

Ooh! That's spooky.. Use the free tool inSSIDder to see what networks are visible?

Did a BT guy come along and install the new box for you?

Was looking at a neighbour's infinity router this week and noticed, in the BT help online, that if you upgrade your router they will set up the new router with the same SSID as the old one so that devices will be able to connect to it.

I found this odd as, in terms of encryption, there should be a new secure key handshake to occur with each device and the new router.

Do you have a range extender?

Is that what they call them today? :unsure:

Lol, glad it's not just me that thinks it's spooky.

The only things that could be considered range extenders are Netgear Powerlines and an Apple Time Capsule. Pretty sure the Powerlines can't be doing anything but the Time Capsule is worth a look if I can remember how to access the config.

MT, no I set it up, but used the default SSID of the new router.

Do you have a range extender?

We have a winner, and possibly the fastest answer ever :)

It was the time capsule, for some reason setup to create a network using the SSID of the old Homehub. Now appropriately culled.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll sleep soundly without the ghost tonight :)

I've just had an upgraded router from Virgin. It['s no better than the old one really, but it does have 5GHz band, which I didn't know my old laptop can do. I'm the only one on this band locally. The 2.4GHx band is clogged.

I've just had an upgraded router from Virgin. It['s no better than the old one really, but it does have 5GHz band, which I didn't know my old laptop can do. I'm the only one on this band locally. The 2.4GHx band is clogged.

5ghz doesn't go through walls very well

Have you tried upgrading to Windows 10?