House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
olde guto

Black Black Friday?

According to media reports black Friday has been a bit of a damp squib for the high street at least. No chavs fighting each other for cheapo TVs, the papers must be gutted.

Is this a sign that people are using the internet more and more and the high street is in trouble?

Is this a sign that people might not be feeling as well off, feeling the pinch?

Is this a sign that people are sick and tired of MSM and shops ramping the whole thing?

Discuss.

Various reasons....much of the small ticket things there is generally an over supply of, buying mass produced stuff for the sake of buying it.....the larger ticket things people who want it generally already have it, upgrades on a theme are generally not value for money, unless are made of money and want to impress.....short term credit is very expensive equivalent of paying vat twice, when already often up to max monthly debt saturation...you don't need it and the kids don't want it.....those that can buy it don't want it, those who want it and would like to buy it can't buy it....

I reckon the bad publicity generated by the fighting over TVs in stores last year probably went a long way towards killing it on the high street. A lot of people probably questioned the merits of chasing a bargain & those that didn't bought online instead.

To be fair, was out and about today doing a bit of shopping, the carparks were rammed, I don't normally drive and today has reminded me why!

The tills didn't seem quite so busy relative to the amount of people in the stores. Maybe people using the store as a show room before buying online?

Got about 20% off in "black weekend" discount's at m&s without realising the products were reduced. I was going to buy at full price, so I am not sure why m&s feel the need to give discount's this early.

Edited by reddog

Even chavs have got stuff fatigue, we need more immigrants to get consuming.

And more to take the cheap jobs, rent off landlords and fuel the property pyramid

And then we'll curse them like it's their fAult they're over here

Black Friday surge fails to prevent November sales slump for retailers

Sales in stores and online down 0.4% on 2014, while web sales accounted for one in every five pounds spent on non-food items

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/08/black-friday-surge-fails-to-prevent-november-sales-slump-for-retailers

The fog of online (like the fog of war) has been revealed.

Sales in stores and online down 0.4% on 2014, while web sales accounted for one in every five pounds spent on non-food items

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/08/black-friday-surge-fails-to-prevent-november-sales-slump-for-retailers

Funnily enough manufacturing output is down 0.4% as well http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35037623

Industrial production still down 9% on 2008.

Guess it must have been all the rain or something...

But, but, but the media were telling us that online sales had soared. Tesco interims out tomorrow. Might give us more of a clue.

Black Friday is a pure US invention.

It ties in with Thanksgiving, which is the American start of the holiday spendathon and eatathon.

The UK has no equivalent. Trying to bolt Black Friday into the UK spending calendar will fail.

The UK has boxing day sales fro this sort of cr.p.

UK reatailers are just being greedy and desperate - internet all all that, which is where I spent 98% of my xmas spend.

Fck going round the shops at xmas time.

Edited by spyguy