House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Today Is National Cake Day!

They look like "fanny cakes" Mr Swampy! I might be too old for all that! :mellow:

A keen cake man. My top five.....

(1) Rock cake

(2) Victoria sponge

(3) Iced fruit cake

(4) Bakewell slice

(5) Bread pudding

Sadly the shops seem obsessed with cup cakes, cream cakes and chocolate muffins, especially Greggs.

I like to think the above are the connoisseur's choice (as in red wine drinker) and the cream horns and fairy cakes are for the rose' drinkers. :wacko:

Any cake. Victoria sponge made with my homemade mixed fruit jam in the middle is very good.

All credit to you if you make a good sponge, I've never tried. My mum's used to be very lardy and heavy. The opposite to that would be one of those shop cakes full of air and completely tasteless. If you can get something in the middle that is both tasty without a lardy after taste then you have hit the jackpot.

Obviously made by a devotee of Ms Craddock.

I thought I'd look up Fanny's fairy cakes for comparison...hmm wrong sort of fairy.

I note a range at Sainsburys is trying to reclaim the English name from the modern Americanism (cup cake). Best of luck with that, no chance.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=102510028

Someone today made this most delicious cake.....and I am not a great cake eater, tried a piece, it contained beetroot, courgette and chocolate......yummmy :wub:

Something I tried recently, get one of those festive 'Taste The Differenece' or whatever your supermarket's quality line is called- chocolate Yule Log's. Then get a tub of cookie dough B+J icecream, cut off a slice of log and heat it up in the microwave until it's very hot and melting then thrown on a generous helping of cookie dough icecream. It's an amazing combination of ice cream and sweet chocolate flavours :)

Here in the cheap seats I`ve just eaten an aldi slab cake (99p)

Already bought the cake and then I saw this thread! What does this mean ??

Some have to be told it's NCD; others know it intuitively. Its in the genes. Any bakers in the ancestry?

Someone today made this most delicious cake......beetroot....

You can make a pumpkin pie alternative with beetroot. As long as it's grated, it's deliscious, but if any actual pieces sneak in, it's gross, Courgette doesn't sound like a good idea though.

Victoria sponge with fresh strawbs and real cream filling - and four layers. Yum.