House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cica

How Do You Handle Employees With Bizarre Overly Ambitious Behavior?

I have a guy at work who is quite hard working but just wants to be lauded far, far too much. The problem is that his tactics seem to work. I suspect this is fairly widespread in business if you have the audacity or personality to do it.

• If someone comes up to me to ask me a question, I'll answer. Within 1 or 2 seconds, he'll answer copying exactly what just I said. Or worse, speak over me as I'm giving the correct answer perfectly concisely.
  • If he is made aware of a problem elsewhere in the business that is nothing to do with us, he'll take it upon himself turn around or walk about the office and go speaking to people about it and speaking like he's involved and discuss the history in a very confident way.
  • He'll get really stroppy if he's not included in stuff (even though he is not senior in the business).

The stroppy bit is quite easy to handle as it's obviously just a bad attitude but the other is odd to me.

The problem is that if I ever said anything to anyone, they'd probably not believe me. This particular person is erratic and definitely has some personal issues but no one else has seen that yet so I've kept my distance from him recently.

They're everywhere. My tactics of ignoring them sometimes works; or you could feed him with wrong information and watch him crash and burn.

If you're his manager, haul him in and have a stern word with him. Don't tell him of problems elsewhere in the business if he should have nothing to do with them. Tell him to stick to his remit.

W0nk in his sandwich box when he's not looking, and then sign him up for some "extreme" gay clubs, and get the literature delivered to his desk.

Some people can be a bit loud, and others are just ar$eholes! Know the difference! ^_^

Take the piss out of him behind his back. Actually, sounds like a guy I used to work with. Oddly, everyone said he was a thoroughly nice guy outside of working hours, but seemed to treat his menial job as something of exceptional importance.

Never found a way to deal with such people. However, working with such tw*ts comntributed a great deal to stress I went through and made me very unwell.

My half glib half serious answer is to go find another job. Failing that, organise a work lottery for a holiday in Syria and ensures that he wins it.

Never found a way to deal with such people. However, working with such tw*ts comntributed a great deal to stress I went through and made me very unwell.

My half glib half serious answer is to go find another job. Failing that, organise a work lottery for a holiday in Syria and ensures that he wins it.

I worked with "difficult" people. I suppose I am one. One colleague told me of his employee Hell working for Mr Ar$ehole, who was not "quite right". My colleague was to me me a really nice and cooperative chap, who has recently had the good luck to retire. Some people confuse kindness with weakness! Spot the difference! :o

I worked with "difficult" people. I suppose I am one. One colleague told me of his employee Hell working for Mr Ar$ehole, who was not "quite right". My colleague was to me me a really nice and cooperative chap, who has recently had the good luck to retire. Some people confuse kindness with weakness! Spot the difference! :o

Predators see kindness / politeness as weakness.

Predators see kindness / politeness as weakness.

Know your predator! :wacko: Yes Mr Tulip! I see kind and polite as a strength! :blink:

OP - be very careful. This person may be BPD or straight out psychopathic. While such individuals are usually found out eventually they can often climb the ladder quite far and cause a lot of destruction along the way.

I had a lass working with me on a project who behaved in a similar way. Essentially hers was a secretarial/admin role but she saw herself as joint leader of the project. She would massively overcomplicate stuff, disrupt meetings with open and rude critiques, work til all hours and come in with 10 page proposals on how to do a relatively minor task differently, as well brief against me and the other project lead to other colleagues (especially senior ones). She was very talented, although a little naive in many respects - and a major time suck. Nothing in the project could move unless she was happy. It bogged us down for weeks.

Eventually, I had a nice chat with her and dropped hints about how she was wasted with us and talked through what her next career move might be. She left within two months. Her replacement was like a breath of fresh air and we at last made rapid progress. Sadly, it wasn't quite enough progress quickly enough in the end - and the project was canned.

OP - be very careful. This person may be BPD or straight out psychopathic. While such individuals are usually found out eventually they can often climb the ladder quite far and cause a lot of destruction along the way.

I had a lass working with me on a project who behaved in a similar way. Essentially hers was a secretarial/admin role but she saw herself as joint leader of the project. She would massively overcomplicate stuff, disrupt meetings with open and rude critiques, work til all hours and come in with 10 page proposals on how to do a relatively minor task differently, as well brief against me and the other project lead to other colleagues (especially senior ones). She was very talented, although a little naive in many respects - and a major time suck. Nothing in the project could move unless she was happy. It bogged us down for weeks.

Eventually, I had a nice chat with her and dropped hints about how she was wasted with us and talked through what her next career move might be. She left within two months. Her replacement was like a breath of fresh air and we at last made rapid progress. Sadly, it wasn't quite enough progress quickly enough in the end - and the project was canned.

If she was nothing but a secretary then why didn't you just tell her to stfu and go and put the kettle on?

....maybe he has never felt valued in his life......listen to him, whilst nodding......then say very interesting, thank you......carry on as usual.

If she was nothing but a secretary then why didn't you just tell her to stfu and go and put the kettle on?

Sadly, being a matrix organisation I had no authority but all of the responsibility (basically they expect you to manage by making people want to do stuff here) - and she had the ear of a senior manager (who she would regularly go around me to get approval for something and he would indulge her rather than bouncing her back to me).

Hope not ...

article-2182965-1453AD23000005DC-394_634

Hope not ...

His trousers are wrong! :unsure:

He`s on speed

The personal problems I was referring to are related to drugs. I suspect he takes cocaine often. Whether he does it at work I don't know. I've seen him in a social situation take it all day. Not directly but it was beyond obvious. No one else was involved and everyone commented on the mental behaviour.

He's had reasonably professional jobs for a few years yet seems to have zero money by the end of the money. Sounds like he's blowing it on drugs.

I don't know if you were joking but this is a possibility.

I'm his manager but I'm not very senior myself. Middle manager.