House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Mrpin Buys A Book

Classics, in posh hardback. 50P a pop "Grate Expectations", "Donkey Hotey", and "Wittering heights", and a few more I never read either! I have become cultured! :blink:

Have you read them, or are you buying them by the metre for show? :unsure:

Ha ha! Some I have read before, just nice to find them in a lovely hardback. Obviously I shall be in the "library" in a smoking jacket, when an "Inspector calls". :blink:

Ha ha! Some I have read before, just nice to find them in a lovely hardback. Obviously I shall be in the "library" in a smoking jacket, when an "Inspector calls". :blink:

I have far too many books. My wife started sarcastically referring to the spare room (originally a dining room) as my library as part of her campaign to get me to trim them down to a more manageable number. The kids have quite a long eaves cupboard along the side of their room dedicated to children's books, which they call the kids' library. They have occasionally brought up in conversation that we have two libraries in our house, which gives an impression of something just a little grander than the two bedroom chalet bungalow we actually live in.

Were they thick enough, Mr Pin?

I see you have an engineering mind Frank! ^_^ No they are not to prop up the piano. :o

I have far too many books. My wife started sarcastically referring to the spare room (originally a dining room) as my library as part of her campaign to get me to trim them down to a more manageable number. The kids have quite a long eaves cupboard along the side of their room dedicated to children's books, which they call the kids' library. They have occasionally brought up in conversation that we have two libraries in our house, which gives an impression of something just a little grander than the two bedroom chalet bungalow we actually live in.

I don't live anywhere "Grand" Mr Tripod. I think books shut kids up. I have encyclopedias, a bit old but they are full of "stuff". Kids are fascinated! Look it's a big ship! :blink:

The more books the merrier.

I need to get rid of some more.

All the things you wanted when young are now landfill! Isn't a book marvelous! A whole story you can read!I may have mentioned my £80 piano. Crikey they are now worthless. It has one sticky A# key! Probably fluff!

No. They give them ideas ...

F*ck me ! was a naughty kid! Makes Dennis the Menace seem like a saint!

I knew a girl who had so many books that even with bookshelves everywhere she was double-stacking them.

When you can't even see their spines then you have too many books.

I knew a girl who had so many books that even with bookshelves everywhere she was double-stacking them.

451 Fahrenheit? Books contain only nonsense! The television is far better! :wacko:

Classics, in posh hardback. 50P a pop "Grate Expectations", "Donkey Hotey", and "Wittering heights", and a few more I never read either! I have become cultured! :blink:

Most of the classics I've read have been boring or wordy/difficult to read.

Wurthering Heights being a prime example.

Of the classics I found good, I would say 1984 and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading.

451 Fahrenheit? Books contain only nonsense! The television is far better! :wacko:

I only watch TV at other people's homes and unless it goes on a for a specific programme and then goes off again I find it annoying and intrusive.

Can't see her spine, but can't see her double-stack either ...

279385633e51239bf006e37dd1b87809.jpg

Can't see her spine, but can't see her double-stack either ...

That picture's clearly faked; it's in a public library yet she has no library card in her hand and nowhere to carry one.

That reminds me of a brilliant comment in a review of Morrissey's work of fiction - http://www.amazon.co.uk/List-Lost-Morrissey-ebook/dp/B014IBKHJA/

It really is as bad as they're all saying it is, and I can't think of a single good thing to say about it. I can't even finish it, and I've read Richardson's 'Clarissa'.

Wurthering Heights being a prime example.

Of the classics I found good, I would say 1984 and The Picture of Dorian Gray are both worth reading.

From all the classics that I've read I can only say that I've thoroughly enjoyed, as opposed to thinking that they were doing me good, the works of Thomas Hardy and EM Forster.

I love books.......but I don't own any story books. ;)

I expect, like me, you have workshop manuals for cars you never had! :huh:

From all the classics that I've read I can only say that I've thoroughly enjoyed, as opposed to thinking that they were doing me good, the works of Thomas Hardy and EM Forster.

Good choices Frank!

I love books.......but I don't own any story books. ;)

0000411.jpeg

?

:P

I suppose I also mostly own non-fiction books to which I will refer again; I pass fiction books on to other people whne I've read them.