House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Wanted Urban Gleaners Needed! At Fareshare Manchester

Urban Gleaners needed!
Our good friends at FareShare Gt Manchester are looking for Urban Gleaners to join them as they save tonnes of delicious fruit and veg from going to waste on New Smithfield Market in Manchester.

Can you volunteer for Urban Gleaning Monday-Friday between 10am and 3pm? Every week from now until Christmas (even if you can only offer one or two hours.) FareShare Gt Manchester need help to sort through tonnes of fruit and veg to save as much as possible for those in need. No need to bring anything - protective clothing/footwear provided and lunch provided where possible. Travel expenses covered if necessary.

Keen cook?
The lovely volunteers at FareShare Gt Manchester would also really appreciate volunteers to come and cook some soup/stew for lunch in their kitchen, especially during these wet and windy months!

If you would like to volunteer for Urban Gleaning or to cook for volunteers please contact Derek Shelton on 07513 537030 or 0161 223 8200 option 3 and let him know your availability. Join the FareShare team at New Smithfield Market, Whitworth Street East, Openshaw, Manchester, M11 2WJ.

About FareShare
FareShare save good food destined for waste and send it to charities and community groups who transform it into nutritious meals for vulnerable people. The Gleaning Network work closely with FareShare throughout the year to ensure they receive fresh fruit and vegetables from our Gleaning Days out in the fields. And now is your chance to fight food waste right in the city!

That's the folks who are getting an effectively-unlimited supply of free stuff from Tesco. Guess they're now facing the "how do we use it all" problem.

And from gleaning.

They went and collected 5 tonne of beetroots recently. Small ones. The ones you might pickle at home if you had about 20 to do and didn't want to waste them.

They've be better turning it all into wine.

And from gleaning.

They went and collected 5 tonne of beetroots recently. Small ones. The ones you might pickle at home if you had about 20 to do and didn't want to waste them.

They've be better turning it all into wine.

Indeed, for beets are very sugary! I haven't done wine for ages. I feel an urge!

Indeed, for beets are very sugary! I haven't done wine for ages. I feel an urge!

I just want some pickled beetroot now!

On a slice of cheese on toast. Or two.

It's a month from "Winter bank Holiday" as it is known in very PC non denominational circles. I've been making my "trademark" dangerous pickled onions. Got a big jar labelled up for me dad! Also done some eggs, but these are far too dangerous to get out, and I need a licence from the Chief Constable to keep them on the premises. :blink: Only God knows what ISIS could do with these! :blink:

Cravings? It's lunchtime! Go and commune with your kitchen, or your lunch vendor of choice.

Cravings? It's lunchtime! Go and commune with your kitchen, or your lunch vendor of choice.

I did. But no beetroot in the house. And I forgot to look on the plot to see if there was any left. I think there is. But I've been and done enough for today.