House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Catch22

Saw A Newish House For Sale And Thought Research It

And why do many posters write "loose" instead of "lose"? Don't they know what the difference is?

Don`t forget the classic one, used more than any other `alot` instead of ` a lot` :P

brought instead of bought! i.e. I brought a house in the 80's!!!!

my personal bugbear...

should of instead of should've

could of instead of could've

etc

:blink:

I know I'm in danger of bringing this thread back on topic but...

...I think this link works.

I think the difference in price is obvious. The land registry figures are for a terraced house where as the rightmove link is clearly for an "end town house". Seems reasonable to me!

Hope my grammar is okay. <_<

brought instead of bought! i.e. I brought a house in the 80's!!!! [Webmaster]

i.e. instead of e.g.

Others I often see include 'to' instead of 'too' and the use of 'amount' rather than 'number' for discrete quantities e.g. the amount of people who have paid to much.

Really.

I managed to get an 'A' at GCSE level, passed my A level exam without the tuition. Wow, I hear you say?

I would never pick up on bad grammar on a chat forum.

It's just not cricket, dear.

Edit: Please, please stop this back slapping affair where we congratulate each other on our understanding of the English language, impress us by learning a foreign language.

Edited by No Muggy Bear

Really.

I managed to get an 'A' at GCSE level, passed my A level exam without the tuition. Wow, I hear you say?

I would never pick up on bad grammar on a chat forum.

It's just not cricket, dear.

Edit: Please, please stop this back slapping affair where we congratulate each other on our understanding of the English language, impress us by learning a foreign language.

Pienso que son justos tomando el piss :D

Pienso que son justos tomando el piss :D

Not quite grammar but still unbelievably irritating :

1. Why are all the financial bods. constantly talking about " going forwards"? Even the Chinese/Singaporean commentators with their "challenged "vocabs. manage to incorporate innunerable "going forwards " in their bull.

2.Why do all these women on the BBC including Julius C. with her incredible presentation (who actually employs these people .... or names them?) say "yew" instead of a simple straightforward "you"?

3.Why do so many of the female journalists on the BBC (esp. World) have lisps, or some other form of intensely annoying speech affectation which causes you to concentrate on the medium not the message? The doyen of this brigade has to be Sue LLoyd Roberts!! Have you heard this woman ?

Do you need to have a speech affectation to get a reporters job on the BBC? Did their daddies tell them their little girl lisps were such an endearing trait when they were fragile little babes and have they laboured under this delusion ever since? Or has the impediment initiated and grown symbiotically with their own inflated sense of importance? And why does this affliction not appear to affect their male counterparts?

That's better. I've needed that for some time.

I know it's "not cricket" (& not everyone on the site was lucky enough to have a good state education) but my favourite is "poultry" instead of "'paltry" eg. "Impossible to buy a house on my poultry wages". Lots of chicken farmers on the site!