House Price Crash Forum

Looking For A C# Asp .net Dev

uro_who

HOLA441

Anyone got any bright ideas as to how I can find a c# asp .net developer with webforms 4.0/4.5 and SQL knowledge. Preferably Midlands area, flexible working from home if required. Needed to work on medical software with a well funded spin out company. We've got the clients and demand and need more developers to keep up! Salary proportional to skills, happy to take on employee for junior or senior role.

We've advertised on Monster and got basically nothing.

Anyone help out with suggestions?

Sorry if this is spam, at least its beneficial spam!

HOLA442

You could try putting up adverts at local universities. Or try to poach people.

Offer a finder's fee to your current developers if they can introduce new hires.

Investigate why you got nothing from Monster. Do developers not look at Monster, or could you re-write your advert to get more interest.

If it's really hopeless speak to recruitment agents.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Be a bit more flexible. Programming is programming. Whatever language is used it will take somebody a bit of time to learn their way around your product.

HOLA448

Be a bit more flexible. Programming is programming. Whatever language is used it will take somebody a bit of time to learn their way around your product.

Yep, get someone talented and they won't have any problem picking it up, and someone with a diverse programming background may bring all sorts of other skills to the game too.

HOLA449

Learner question; Although I did some basic coding years ago, and got from that the notion that you could probably learn anything with enough exposure to people who know what they are doing and the right books to hand, I still know very little about the nuts and bolts of coding. I can knock up a basic website with HTML on notepad, but when displaying it in the browser it looks dated. like early days of the internet stuff, while for example most sites you "view source" on (this site for example) seem to be HTML but appear much more sleek and modern, is that due to the HTML itself going through upgrades in how the language can be used over the years, or is it the platform you build/design it on? What language/platform should I learn to design my own basic but functional websites? Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the numpty question to those of you that build whole systems in your sleep! Oh and BTW, I have no idea where you get a good coder, I thought for a while they were spilling out of the woodwork everywhere?

HOLA4410

I vote for intelligent above a particular language knowledge! A web page is pretty public, and you should have tested it with all browsers known to mankind, or sometimes it renders "funny" and it is unuseable! Also check the middle layer code or some cheeky sod will say "Delete * from customers;" :o

HOLA4411

Learner question; Although I did some basic coding years ago, and got from that the notion that you could probably learn anything with enough exposure to people who know what they are doing and the right books to hand, I still know very little about the nuts and bolts of coding. I can knock up a basic website with HTML on notepad, but when displaying it in the browser it looks dated. like early days of the internet stuff, while for example most sites you "view source" on (this site for example) seem to be HTML but appear much more sleek and modern, is that due to the HTML itself going through upgrades in how the language can be used over the years, or is it the platform you build/design it on? What language/platform should I learn to design my own basic but functional websites? Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the numpty question to those of you that build whole systems in your sleep! Oh and BTW, I have no idea where you get a good coder,

It's more developments in the mark up, namely CSS rather then HTML, while HTML 5 adds a fair few new elements there really hasn't been that much in terms of that since the beginning.

However what you want to be doing is using some sort of frame work, no point doing all the work yourself when somebody has already done it for you.

Have a look Bootstrap, available here http://getbootstrap.com/that allows for nice looking layouts with minimal effort, you can then build on top of that. Lots of the stuff in there is built on JQuery which is the other thing you need to look at. However having said all that, building websites these days is more about design than coding (depends on the site of course), I have 20+ years in the industry but I'm terrible at building a site as I'm rubbish at design.

I thought for a while they were spilling out of the woodwork everywhere?

Actually no, IMO we went very quickly from having computers that needed serious skills to program and operate to ones that required no skills whatsoever. My generation, growing up in the 80's and 90's you needed a fair amount of knowledge to get computers to do exactly what you wanted to do, no idea how many hours I wasted with batch and command files trying to get games to work with a CD and sound card, fine tuning settings and memory allocation. Not rocket science but demystified computers somewhat.

It's now gone the other way, computers are so easy to use, installing something is now just a click in an app store. Pretty much anybody growing up and coming out of school hasn't had the under the bonnet experience, it's a mystery to them and they have no need or inclination to fiddle and in fact most of their experience is likely on say an iPad which can't be fiddled with in any easy or meaningful way without existing experience or outside tools.

That analogy is very pertinent as it's now the same with cars, they are ultimately reliable and so people literally have no need to get under the bonnet and fiddle with stuff. When I was a kid, my dad would do 90% of jobs on his car, as would many people in the area, haven't seen a car up on a set of ramps in years. Cars don't go wrong in the way they used to and people have no idea how to fix them when they do.

HOLA4412

We do artificial intellegence coding so I'm not sure there's a macro for that at the moment!

Thanks everyone for your advice. We've wasted 3/12 advertising for the perfect person and in reality we'd have been better of getting someone bright and keen and letting them get up to speed for 3/12.

The only problem is the training hit on our existing dev resources. Just got to suck it up though I think.

Cheers

HOLA4413

We do artificial intellegence coding so I'm not sure there's a macro for that at the moment!

Thanks everyone for your advice. We've wasted 3/12 advertising for the perfect person and in reality we'd have been better of getting someone bright and keen and letting them get up to speed for 3/12.

The only problem is the training hit on our existing dev resources. Just got to suck it up though I think.

Cheers

I'm studying Software Engineering at Staffs uni. I'm good with web programming (Javascript/AJAX/PHP/.NET/) and SQL (used MySQL a lot). I've also got experience writing applications in Java,C++,C# and Python. I'm sure with some basic training I could do well for your company. Let me know if you still need someone, I'm located in Stafford.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Cheers

If you are growing that quickly you need to structure this. There two elements to what a new employee needs - programming language skills but also your implementation/infrastructure/methods/environment and business area. Get some proper training material together, so that you can train more than one rather than just rely on dev time to bring up to speed and taking the hit each time. The programming part - maybe course on Lynda or similar then instruction on specifics to yourselves.

HOLA4416

I'm studying Software Engineering at Staffs uni. I'm good with web programming (Javascript/AJAX/PHP/.NET/) and SQL (used MySQL a lot). I've also got experience writing applications in Java,C++,C# and Python. I'm sure with some basic training I could do well for your company. Let me know if you still need someone, I'm located in Stafford.

Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in working with anyone who is keen and would like to learn and code. We're a small outfit doing expert system work with clients that want more products than we have developers for!

The only sticking point I'd see is that you must be at least mid course. How would that work? Would you be looking for some smaller packages of work on a paid basis until you finish then a permanent contract? There are a few projects that we might be able to package up. I'd have sent you a pm but you can't accept them for some reason. Are you on Twitter or anything so that I can send you a pm on there with an email?

We're Leicester/Derby but remote working with catch-up meetings is fine.

HOLA4417

You will have to get one one your senior bods to give a thorough introduction to your new person! Sorry but they are not ready made off the shelf! :unsure: Just gotta look for bright and willing! :wacko: That's a good start!

HOLA4418

If you are growing that quickly you need to structure this. There two elements to what a new employee needs - programming language skills but also your implementation/infrastructure/methods/environment and business area. Get some proper training material together, so that you can train more than one rather than just rely on dev time to bring up to speed and taking the hit each time. The programming part - maybe course on Lynda or similar then instruction on specifics to yourselves.

I agree with this. Thanks for the comment.

I don't think we need a limitless/large team as each is a discrete product sitting within a platform. But some growth is definitely needed.

HOLA4419

You will have to get one one your senior bods to give a thorough introduction to your new person! Sorry but they are not ready made off the shelf! :unsure: Just gotta look for bright and willing! :wacko: That's a good start!

Thanks Mr Pin. Yep talent is the number one attribute.

HOLA4420

It sounds like a fairly small outfit, so you have to get somebody likeable and competent. The "very talented" :blink: can often be very irritating and unproductive, and maybe don't like customers. Must get on with team. ^_^ When I've scoped through a lot of CVs, I like people with hobbies that aren't to do with computers. I particularly like amateur mechanics and musicians. Wouldn't worry too much about what qualifications they have. One of the best DBAs I met has a Philosophy degree. I guess it shows you can "think".

HOLA4421

Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in working with anyone who is keen and would like to learn and code. We're a small outfit doing expert system work with clients that want more products than we have developers for!

The only sticking point I'd see is that you must be at least mid course. How would that work? Would you be looking for some smaller packages of work on a paid basis until you finish then a permanent contract? There are a few projects that we might be able to package up. I'd have sent you a pm but you can't accept them for some reason. Are you on Twitter or anything so that I can send you a pm on there with an email?

We're Leicester/Derby but remote working with catch-up meetings is fine.

Yeah I am, my Twitter is developer275. Don't worry about my course as I have a lot of free time and should be able to handle up to 30 hours a week working on your projects. Packages of work on a paid basis then a permanent contract sounds good. What kind of platforms/ software are you using for communication at the moment? There are some phone apps where you can make a group chat.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived